Notices

sugar cravings

Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh I really liked gummy bears. Keep a toothbrush handy
Old 06-08-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

awe hell, after 11 years, i still have them!

can you say Bavarian Cream Donuts!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I loved Haagen Dazs (still do) but now am moving away from all that sugar to the natural sugars in whole foods. Doesn't give you that sugar crash, the lethargy, etc. There's a great three ingredient chocolate you can make with cocoa powder, coconut oil & honey. Just Google it. No sugar rush/crash from eating that. Tastes sort of like a Lindt darker cacao bar.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the congrats, mags! Every little bit helps!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey all, thanks for your replies!

Instant, "having a weakness for chocolate is a lot better than my drinking"--True, indeed!

DisplacedGRITS, I have a newfound love for Jolly Ranchers!

Spinach, apple juice, yes. I've never really been fond of it, but I foresee many a glassful in my future.

cl900, I rationalize the same way!

Thepatman, you're so right. It may be a bit too early to worry about diet. Great Muhammad Ali quote.

Taking5, thanks for the advice, and the laugh.

EarlyHours, I forgot about dried bananas. I used to love those, before I started drinking. It seems that I had a sweet tooth once upon a time, but traded that in long ago for alcohol. I"m ready to switch back!!!

Cowgirlie, Right? I can't stop eating, particularly sweets! Congratulations to you on your progress.

LadyBlue, I will allow myself to give into the sugar cravings. For now! I once quit drinking for three months and at the end of that three months I had such intense sugar cravings (that I gave into) that I was afraid I was going to make myself diabetic! Glad to know it lessens at some point.

lunar, yes! Gummy candy is nasty (at least I've always thought so), but now I can't get enough of it!

Stoogy and Archelon, you both mentioned a balanced diet helping out the both of you. I will definitely look into that. Either of you (or anyone else) have thoughts on vitamins to take? I already take a daily multi-vitamin and try to take calcium vitamins as well.

happyandfree, I love watermelon and blueberries! So much so that I think I will go to the store for some after I've spent more time on SR.

Again, thanks for your replies (keep them coming if you have them, please) and I will try to not be so concerned about the sugar cravings. There's good advice to be found in getting stronger before I worry about diet. Thank you all so much!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And I hope writing a group thank you post like i just did is okay... I'm kinda new to this...
Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

jason2, you ain't kidding about keeping a toothbrush handy!

Rusty Zipper, I've never had such a donut. Sounds dreamy! Jeez, can you tell I'm into sweets? I just labeled a donut "dreamy."

SoberJennie, I will always have love for Haagen Dazs, I just don't need to eat it every night! And thanks for the recipe, I will definitely look it up. Also, I love Hemingway, so, what a great quote!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How is everything going with you Rachelle77..you welcomed me when I first joined SR a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I didnt have a good start ... but have now been reading up on my "AV"... now only on Day Two BUT have been having very conscious of getting rid of my AV everytime it tries to enter my head (constantly of course at this time)...I really hope you are doing well Rachelle77
Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am doing pretty good, Julie59, thanks for asking. I am on 21 days of sobriety now. I congratulate you on day two of your sobriety! Keep working at it! Over the past year I have had several new quit dates, more than I'd like to recall, but each time I keep doing something different and building up the tools I need to maintain sobriety. Being part of a community, which is new to me this time around, has already made an incredible difference, I feel.

And those sugar cravings have calmed down a little. At least now I'm eating more fruit when they hit because I really feel the effects of eating a bunch of processed sugar and candy. I do still have at least a little ice cream every day though, which I'm learning to be totally okay with because I know that won't last forever.