Notices

The feeling of missing out on the weekends.....

Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The feeling of missing out on the weekends.....

I really struggle with this thought. I feel like I am the only one all alone at home while all my young peers are out having a blast. I ask myself, why are you denying yourself the fun of going out and getting wasted? Everyone gets wasted on the weekends. Just sharing some of my thoughts. Will this ever change? Will I ever be content?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You will eventually find that not everyone gets wasted on the weekend. In fact, most people don't. Instead of sitting home alone, make some plans to do something new. Take a walk, plant a garden, visit a museum, volunteer, go to church, go to an aa meeting, the list is limitless.

If anything, being wasted means we miss out on all the things we could have done instead. A weekend wasted is literally that...a wasted weekend!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a hard time with weekends, too. And I've been sober three and a half years.
I've found that there is much more fun in being sober. I just think of the day, or days, after going through the nightmare of anxiety, fear and remorse from drinking.

I've since found other interests that keep me occupied, but it's still hard.
Find something you enjoy and live life to the fullest. Sober. One day, one weekend at a time.

Best to you.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
I really struggle with this thought. I feel like I am the only one all alone at home while all my young peers are out having a blast. I ask myself, why are you denying yourself the fun of going out and getting wasted? Everyone gets wasted on the weekends. Just sharing some of my thoughts. Will this ever change? Will I ever be content?
I think that is a common misconception that everyone gets wasted at the weekends to be honest, maybe it depends on your age group though.
I really don't miss it one little bit, sure it was fun back then but truth be told I've consumed enough alcohol for two lifetimes so I don't feel although I'm missing out at all anymore.
Maybe I'm just finally growing up, either way I'm happier for it and you will be too one day, see it through you will be glad you did.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean. Specially that I did this for 20 years. But like others said we think everyone is partying but most are not.

And tomorrow I will be up bright and early with no hangover. Instead of a wasted sunday, it will be a productive day ;-)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Consider the benefits not doing what the minority do. Chances are you’ll be alive and I one piece and clear headed which for some is priceless. I’m grateful to know I didn’t embarrass myself with a bad usage of words and actions. And today I’m comfortable in my own skin enjoying some simple things in life.

BE WELL
Old 06-07-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This was my issue too but you learn that you don't miss out on anything. I ask my friends if they had a good night and the usual responses are "I don't remember so it must've been" or "yeah I think so" etc... They can't even remember, they just pay a silly amount of money to erase some memory and that's what I used to do. I'd rather do something that I remember or put the money to better use like go on a day trip somewhere when you'd usually be hungover or go-karting, cinema etc..
Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Specially that I did this for 20 years. But like others said we think everyone is partying but most are not.

And tomorrow I will be up bright and early with no hangover. Instead of a wasted sunday, it will be a productive day ;-)
Yep, that is the lie the AV tells us, that "everyone" is getting wasted. That really isn't the case. Eventually when I finally realized I was drinking far heavier than others that were out, I resorted to drinking alone out of embarrassment. I'm sure I will get that old feeling that everyone is out and I should be, but can't give in this time.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

If anything, being wasted means we miss out on all the things we could have done instead. A weekend wasted is literally that...a wasted weekend!
I absolutely love this concept. I wasted so many gorgeous days horizontal with a hangover, looking at the sunshine and blue sky through a crack in my blinds. Never again.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After you've been sober a while you won't miss it. I did at first, missed being numb, but with more sober time I missed it less and less and finally not at all.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) was one of my big things too.

The thing was, even when I went out I missed things, cos I got hideously drunk.

It long ceased to be fun for me.

There's a million ways to have fun and have an active social life and not drink...but it will take a little time for you to get past the wanting to join in Robert.

My social circle now is most normal drinkers. Not everyone wants to write themselves off.

If that's your friends, maybe like I did, you need some new ones too?

Try and be a little patient

D
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Couldn't have said it better myself after a full day fishing in the mountains.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was always tough for me to stay in knowing some friends were going out. The thing is, they didn't ever wake up with black eyes and an empty wallet like I usually did. I had to find different outlets for some fun.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Robert.

FOMO definitely kept me drinking. I remember thinking I'd never have fun again - all the things I looked forward to were gone. Then I realized what a sick way that was to feel. Needing to be numb and foggy wasn't any way to enjoy life. Half the time I didn't even remember what went on - & the next day was filled with dread and guilt. In the end, I was just so happy to be free. You will get there! Glad you posted about how you feel.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's an easy thing to romanticize the good times, or just recall them as they were. But people who drink like I drink are just asking for trouble. The life I lived while I was drinking was simply unsustainable. It had to end, one way or another. I chose another.

The more we continue to drink the way we've always been drinking, the more bad things will happen to us. This is not conjecture. And some of those bad things can change our lives, or the lives of others, forever, and never for better.