Notices

Feeling down

Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling down

Not goona drink on this at all, im staying sober! However last night and this morning I have been feeling really down! Like im filled with tears in my eyes, hurts so bad I wanna escape from it!

Any tips on how to feel better?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you tried exercising? Meditation? Yoga? Taking a long walk in some beautiful outdoor place where you can connect with nature - and maybe mentally connect with your HP as you admire the beauty of the natural world? All these things help pick me up when I'm feeling down.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As crazy as it sounds, maybe you should just let these feelings out. Cry. Write down why you are feeling this way.

If you don't or can't, that is worth reflecting on too.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It also helps me if I just accomplish stuff. Force myself past the inertia that my depressed feelings seem to impose on me and just get stuff done, like yard work, cleaning out closers, running errands. Always makes me feel like I've got it all together if I get stuff done.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Do anything that involves people. I'm off to an AA meeting shortly.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey chilledice I think it's pretty normal to feel like that. Just get out and do something....exercise helps, maybe a walk, just getting out of the house is always good. Hang in there.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh chilledice - I feel for you. I think Codejob's suggestion is pretty job. A good cry can be like 'steam from the top of a boiled kettle'. It can be a very therapeutic for a short time. I also agree exercise is great and as hard as it is to motivate oneself when we feel really sad - the endorphins do kick in after exercising to lift our mood. Sometimes suggested to me - to write in different coloured pens if you use a journal - maybe pick when you feel happy and black when you are feeling down. I really hope your sadness lifts soon.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate the feedback, think il try some meditation, clean my room, walk the dog etc just gotta hold on in there I guess!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you're down, Mate but there's loads of good suggestions here.

A bit of activity always helps with distraction and lifts ones spirits afterwards when you see what you have achieved.

All the best!
Bruce
Old 06-07-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Listen to a nice ambient music cd, like something from Tangerine Dream.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to remember that the feelings are just feelings. They don't control you. It's okay to feel them, be aware of them for what they are, and then let them go.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Try to remember that the feelings are just feelings. They don't control you. It's okay to feel them, be aware of them for what they are, and then let them go.
This! Be mindful and aware, and in the moment. Don't hide from or ignore your feelings; they're real, but they're not everything. Let them wash over you and then let them go. Emotions are like water, easily perturbed but quick to calm again.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Remember that you're not alone in how you feel. Helps me. Also coming here.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let it out! I am one to get overly emotional at anything and the only thing that helps is just crying it out. Don't feel ashamed, feel liberated after. We have emotions, sometimes we stick them inside and forget about em, but they are there and they want to make an appearance
Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep in mind it's temporary and try and work through it.
I found sunshine really helped . I'd go for a walk and keep looking around getting max sun through my eyes! It really helped in the evenings . Im not a great believer in alternative remedies but light therapy does seem to have an effect that I can feel.
So get the lead grab the dog and look up!!
John.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've found myself caught up in moments of ineffable sadness this past week. I've felt my heart drop down into my toes and just felt it get kicked around. It's been hard. What i've found is that i need to be in the company of other people. My sober alcoholic friends have been amazing. My meetings have been full of love and support. My new job is giving me goals to work towards but what i'm really enjoying is being helpful to my customers. I made a point today to be helpful and positive and i got positive energy, cheerfulness and gratitude back. I found that experiencing those feelings made them grow inside me and vanquish a lot of the gloom. Perhaps seeking out others who are in the mindset to be supportive and positive would help. If this is a more regular problem, consider perhaps a volunteer position. Something where you have the opportunity to be in a positive, collaborative environment. I know it's helping me a lot.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Not goona drink on this at all, im staying sober! However last night and this morning I have been feeling really down! Like im filled with tears in my eyes, hurts so bad I wanna escape from it!

Any tips on how to feel better?
I think most of us have the initial high when quitting and then the inevitable low for a brief time, I had a tough time with that too, borderline depression while not being sure what exactly caused it!
You will soon get through this but if you can add a decent multi vitamin to your diet and exercise as much as possible, even go out for a walk it all helps.
Take care.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi chilled

sad to hear your feeling down and deflated...only just been reading posts on here...hope your feeling better

if you need to cry have a cry, scream, shout punch a few pillows if you need to, just let it all out, storing such emotions up can be dangerous and make us feel like a lemonade bottle that has been shaken and shaken and shaken, eventually the lid will pop and the emotions will come flying out all over the place putting your sobriety at risk...

Try ringing a mate, or do some gentle exercise like a walk, maybe go and see a sober friend and have a chat ?

keep in there

charlotte
Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl View Post
hi chilled

sad to hear your feeling down and deflated...only just been reading posts on here...hope your feeling better

if you need to cry have a cry, scream, shout punch a few pillows if you need to, just let it all out, storing such emotions up can be dangerous and make us feel like a lemonade bottle that has been shaken and shaken and shaken, eventually the lid will pop and the emotions will come flying out all over the place putting your sobriety at risk...

Try ringing a mate, or do some gentle exercise like a walk, maybe go and see a sober friend and have a chat ?

keep in there

charlotte
Some great advice right there my friend.