Notices

Drunk people

Old 06-06-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk people

Went to a barbecue yesterday, I was driving and my kids were there so I drank nothing, and really didnīt even feel like it. Especially when watching others get drunk and start behaving like idiots. My spouse drinks, and even if he doesnīt get mean or sick or anything "bad" I still donīt like it when I am 100% sober. It is impossible to talk to him, he gets "stupid" and wants to hug and kiss me in front of everyone (well that is a minor problem I guess..). And the night after he snores so that I canīt sleep. He can handle alcohol, but during parties and vacation he drinks a lot. How do you handle drunk people, just stop seeing them when they drink seems like a harsh option..
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

It's somthing I used to try to avoid, but as my wife Also does not drink I kinda enjoy these things more now, but it does open your eyes to the way we "used" to be and simply put why would you we want to spend your hard earned money to behave like this?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I try to avoid it as much as possible. When I can't I try to remember everything they put up with from me in comparison, and it puts it in perspective. What right do I have to be annoyed at them for enjoying themselves, when I put them through utter misery with my drinking!

Doesn't always work, sometimes I just have to up sticks and leave to keep myself safe. Drunk people are annoying!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Looking at drunk people always re charges my sober batteries !
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DarkDays, that is true, and I just wish I could avoid them. Try18, that is a good point...I willkeep this in mind next time I get annoyed...I was soo much worse off drunk than my spouse is..
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Laura
I try to avoid them if at all possible.
I find them boring and scary sometimes.
Because i was one for 40 years, i know that some can be loud and aggressive and unpredictable at times.
Not what i am comfortable around sober.
An on a 'bad' day for me, the AV can whisper 'hey, look, they are having more fun than you. Just a few would be ok and then you'd fit in. you could show 'em how it's really done...'
He, he. The lies it tries....
G
Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A lot of my job is dealing with drunks. I find it easy when they are not friends and it is purely work related. A bit harder at a BBQ or social event.

I like to remind myself of the bigger picture that I need them to pay the mortgage and put the kids through school.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How to handle drunk people? Good question.
They're usually loud, impulsive, unpredictable and incapable of communication or really understanding or considering what you are saying. I agree that seeing them recharges sober batteries because it reminds how low we've been as active addicts. I quit trying to handle them, I tried for long, now the only thing I do with drunk people is ignore and avoid them. Let them swim their own course, and walk mine.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Realized only with this post that there is nobody in my life anymore, who gets drunk. Or at least not when I'm around. The majority of my friends are "regular" people, too. My parents were never drinkers, my wife doesn't really drink... I play in about 4 different bands and while most of the musicians I work with DO drink, I've never seen any of them drunk. I was at a holiday celebration with my wife's family not too long ago, and realized there was nobody drinking there either. It's actually kind of odd, but I'm really grateful for it. I think being sober as long as I have, I just naturally started attracting non drinkers, and repelling those who get drunk.

IMO only, any adult who gets drunk more than a couple of times a year has a problem, or potential problem with alcohol. And if that person is in love with someone who their getting drunk is affecting, then that seals the deal. My wife drinks on occasion, yet if she ever felt it was going to effect me in any way whatsoever, she wouldn't do it. It's not that important to her, and I'm waaaaaaay more important. Was the same with pretty much every woman I've dated in sobriety. If getting drunk was part of their game, then our relationship was very short lived, so I guess it just stands to reason.

Being married to someone who gets drunk would be a tough one for me. I would absolutely make it clear how I felt about it, would hope they would change their behavior, and if they didn't then there would be a problem. I'd either push them towards taking a closer look at their drinking, learn somehow to accept and love their drunkenness, or stop being a part of any event where I knew they'd be drinking. I don't think there are really any other choices.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

IMO only, any adult who gets drunk more than a couple of times a year has a problem, or potential problem,

If this quote is correct and it maybe Is I don't know, then there is no one I know who does not have a problem, I come from the west of Scotland where drinking is certainly the focal point of a lot of people's weekend.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it's the difference between escape. numbing or addiction. Escape is choice, numbing is about pain and addiction is refusal to suffer.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
IMO only, any adult who gets drunk more than a couple of times a year has a problem, or potential problem,

If this quote is correct and it maybe Is I don't know, then there is no one I know who does not have a problem, I come from the west of Scotland where drinking is certainly the focal point of a lot of people's weekend.
Totally my opinion. I don't hang around drinkers, and I don't know of any reason why any adults need to or should get drunk. A couple of drinks isn't a big deal, drunk, to me is pointless. And dangerous.