Notices

Noticing others cosumption

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Noticing others cosumption

Since I've stopped drinking, I can't help but notice how much people around me drink. I (rather tactlessly, given my drinking history!) pointed out to my fiancé that he's drunk beer every night bar one this week and got a snippy reply referring to my past consumption! My brother regularly gets hammered too. I'd not noticed before.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Indeed. My brothers are as much of drunks as I was.

But I don't care because this is about me and not them ;-)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I sometimes do, and then politely yet sternly remind myself to focus on myself and my sobriety - what others drink is none of my business
Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's very common. I liken it to buying a car. We never really notice a particular model of car until we buy one. Then, we see them all over the place.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know try18 I felt bad the second id mentioned it to him! I think alcohol is on my mind a lot because I've quit and it's everywhere right now!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm finding it interesting watching my husband and family visitor drinking.. But only coz I know I would have consumed double what they are having!!

Oh no, are recovering alcoholics as bad as reformed smokers??! My dad used to smoke but now dramatically coughs and splutters and fans the air around his face with a disgusted look if someone lights up nearby!!

I bet your fiancé loved you for that beer comment lol!!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I understand that flossie. And you notice people who perhaps do have a problem, too. But like ourselves, until someone realises that for themselves, all we can do is live a sober life for ourselves

To me there are days when alcohol seems to be every where and I feel overwhelmed and frightened. I come on here or do something to keep me occupied or get to a meeting.

You're doing great
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Absolutely.

When I first quit drinking, I really noticed when others appeared to be "under the influence" and found it interesting to watch someone start out coherent and gradually over the course of a short period of time, slurring their words and making a fool out of themselves (to my view, anyway).

Really opened my eyes. Wow. How many times did someone else view ME in that light when I was drinking?

I'm sure I looked the fool many times when I had zero idea I looked that way.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

After a year or so of sobriety I stopped being acutely aware of how much people are drinking. I went to something recently and had a soft drink all night. I couldn't tell you how much other individuals drank- when I was under a year I would have known exactly what everyone had drunk.

over time it is easy and natural to focus on other things
Old 06-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cowgirlie I know lol I got a proper evil stare off him! As for reformed smokers-I'm one of them aswell! I can see myself being a real nightmare to live with as he smokes too!

Try18-thank you-I'm on here a lot to occupy myself and it's really helping! I love SR.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FT- I'm afraid I will have looked a lot more foolish after drinking than my other half ever has 😞 he's dealt with a lot from me!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
After a year or so of sobriety I stopped being acutely aware of how much people are drinking. I went to something recently and had a soft drink all night. I couldn't tell you how much other individuals drank- when I was under a year I would have known exactly what everyone had drunk. over time it is easy and natural to focus on other things
I'm glad there is light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I noticed how many people weren't drinking or how little they did drink AND how they left half a glass when they left! Seriously, WHO DOES that??
Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I noticed how many people weren't drinking or how little they did drink AND how they left half a glass when they left! Seriously, WHO DOES that??
LOL!

I used to finish other peoples drinks. Yikes! Now that's Alcoholic behavior Guinness record worthy.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah i think its definitely normal at least it was for me. Like other people said tho its best that we just worry about doing whatever we gotta do to not take the first drink. We can justify our own insanity sometimes if we see somebody else doing it. And trust me if we comment they are real quick to tell us how they feel about our opinions of their drinking. Just like we would have been.