Notices

Day 15

Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15

Today is day 15 for me. I have made it 15 days sober a few times before and that seems to be my ceiling. I've never been able to string together more consecutive days than that in the past. The best I've done was 21 out of 22 days a couple of years ago.

I fear that this time is going to be no different. I'm feeling very depressed and stressed out today due to work related issues, and a huge fight with my wife this morning. My kids have been misbehaving too which was the trigger for the fight I had with my wife.

I feel like I'm going to crack. I am so tempted to grab a trunk load of beer and head out of town to my cottage on the lake for the weekend by myself. Just to escape everything.

My sails have no wind this morning. I'm feeling a bit lost, and deflated.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Jaybee - the only reason you'll crack this weekend is if you give in. Don't do that. Drinking won't solve the stress, or the arguments, or the kids

Why not hang out here a little - hit the chat room, play around in the Arcade, post in the June thread, the weekend thread or the 24hour Recovery Connections thread?

you'll get out of your recovery what you put into it Jaybee - don't stint on it this weekend

you can do this

D
Old 06-06-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for getting that far - be proud!

All those issues will still be there in the morning but you'll be full of self loathing, regret, disappontment and feel ill. Think how amazing you'll feel tomorrow if you dont crack. You can do this.

One day at a time.

L x
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jaybee1 View Post
Today is day 15 for me. I have made it 15 days sober a few times before and that seems to be my ceiling. I've never been able to string together more consecutive days than that in the past. The best I've done was 21 out of 22 days a couple of years ago.

I fear that this time is going to be no different. I'm feeling very depressed and stressed out today due to work related issues, and a huge fight with my wife this morning. My kids have been misbehaving too which was the trigger for the fight I had with my wife.

I feel like I'm going to crack. I am so tempted to grab a trunk load of beer and head out of town to my cottage on the lake for the weekend by myself. Just to escape everything.

My sails have no wind this morning. I'm feeling a bit lost, and deflated.
The issues you explain are always going to exist JayBee. Getting drunk to escape them is no escape -remember how you feel after you have done the same thing in the past.

Instead, why not make some plans to do something fun with your family? If you've got the luxury of taking a whole weekend to yourself with a trunkload of beer, you could certainly take the whole family to the cottage ( without the beer ) and doing some fun outdoor activities.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jaybee -

Hang in there. I recall around Day 15 feeling particularly emotionally raw too. I felt a lot better after a month and you are half way there. If you don't drink, you never have to go through it again. Do you want to give that up?

Drinking was my way of handling my emotions - and the first few rough patches were tough because I need to learn alternates. I didn't have any. One tool that helped me greatly was HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) because it opened the door for other ways to feel better without the booze.

Rooting for you!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If the number scares you, then don't think of the number. Just get through today ... just one more day. You can do this Jaybee. I find it helpful, when I am feeling weak, to go back and read my older posts. Do I want to go back to that feeling of desperation? Go through the withdrawal again? Is it worth it for a drink? No. No. And NO

You are sober today, and you can stay that way ... today. Tomorrow is a new day.

Keep on keeping on Jaybee!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The issues you explain are always going to exist JayBee. Getting drunk to escape them is no escape -remember how you feel after you have done the same thing in the past.

Instead, why not make some plans to do something fun with your family? If you've got the luxury of taking a whole weekend to yourself with a trunkload of beer, you could certainly take the whole family to the cottage ( without the beer ) and doing some fun outdoor activities.
Your right Scott. I'll probably do just that. I woke up feeling sorry for my self and more than a little depressed.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jaybee you can do it! Drinking is not going to change anything, it will only make it worse.My kids go through periods where they argue like crazy and it drives me nuts. Maybe do a little Dad time with each one separately this weekend and enjoy it. You were worried last week about making it to day 15 and YOU DID IT!!!

I had a fight with my fiancee last week and my first instinct was to drink to punish him because that was always what I did in the past. But then I had to think - how does my drinking punish him? It only punishes me and would make me have to start over again and I am tired of starting over. It was hard to feel my feelings because it has been so long since I allowed myself to do so but I worked through it and was even happier the next day to wake up sober.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Jaybee...didn't we pour out some beer together one day...way back when?
I put just over 4 months in that time...and then...I quit. I had no idea how much I had actually been accomplishing, progressing..money I was saving, things I was doing yadda yadda..
But I gave up in a bad moment...followed by a few more. It's a slippery damn slope

So I got lost back in the drink again...now I'm back to sobriety kicking my behind a bit cuz I'm worse for wear.

Don't give in. Good job on posting here ole friend. Oust the negativity and self pity. I know it's one of my WORST triggers.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by changeiscoming View Post
Jaybee you can do it! Drinking is not going to change anything, it will only make it worse.My kids go through periods where they argue like crazy and it drives me nuts. Maybe do a little Dad time with each one separately this weekend and enjoy it. You were worried last week about making it to day 15 and YOU DID IT!!!

I had a fight with my fiancee last week and my first instinct was to drink to punish him because that was always what I did in the past. But then I had to think - how does my drinking punish him? It only punishes me and would make me have to start over again and I am tired of starting over. It was hard to feel my feelings because it has been so long since I allowed myself to do so but I worked through it and was even happier the next day to wake up sober.
Great suggestion change! I will spend a bit of one on one time with each kid this weekend. When i wake up in the morning it will be my longest stretch of sobriety I can remember.

It's a good thing I was never a morning drinker because I might have dropped the ball this morning. Posting on here and letting cooler heads prevail has helped me calm down a bit. My wife and I both work downtown in our city, so I called her up, and invited her out to lunch with me, and we had a good talk.

I am a bit worried about the weekend.. I have no internet access or cell phone coverage at my cottage. It's pretty remote. It is nice to be off the grid like that, and putting the screens away, but I like the comfort of being able to come on SR when I have a craving. One saving grace is that it is a 20 minute drive to the closest place where I can buy alcohol. Wish me luck this will be my first cottage trip sans alcohol since I bought the place several years ago!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Think about waking up and just listening to the birds and nature and not being hungover. You will be amazed at the beaut that is around you that you have never noticed before. Think of it as you time to congratulate yourself for staying sober. I lok forward to hearing from you on Monday.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Hey Jaybee...didn't we pour out some beer together one day...way back when?
I put just over 4 months in that time...and then...I quit. I had no idea how much I had actually been accomplishing, progressing..money I was saving, things I was doing yadda yadda..
But I gave up in a bad moment...followed by a few more. It's a slippery damn slope

So I got lost back in the drink again...now I'm back to sobriety kicking my behind a bit cuz I'm worse for wear.

Don't give in. Good job on posting here ole friend. Oust the negativity and self pity. I know it's one of my WORST triggers.

Oh yes, I do remember that. That was quite some time ago I think. One of my many failed attempts .

Four months seems like an eternity for me to be sober, but I'm looking forward to hitting those numbers myself.

I'm feeling better as the day is going on. Gonna be my third straight sober Friday!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by changeiscoming View Post
Think about waking up and just listening to the birds and nature and not being hungover. You will be amazed at the beaut that is around you that you have never noticed before. Think of it as you time to congratulate yourself for staying sober. I lok forward to hearing from you on Monday.
Hey change that's a good point actually. I'm looking forward to it!

One of my favorite things to do is to get up early at the cottage and jump in my kayak when the lake is calm and flat, and take a trip around the lake. Although I'm usually far too hung over to actually do that. Not this weekend though!