Notices

My employee

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My employee

I wrote some time ago about an employee of mine who got caught drunk at work. I had to confront her and get her into rehab. She was chocked but soon told me she had been drinking all her life. She is now middle-aged and got into rehab fist time at 30. Has been drinking on and off with as much as 8 year sobriety once. I find this so sad, myself sober only a week and a million relapses behind me. The disease will never go away. One can never let the guard down.
I was happy that I was able to offer her a rehabprogram and she willingly accepted, I hope that it will help her.
I can only imagime what kind of struggles she has had in her life. I donīt want to be her in 20 years...
Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you were there to help her Laura
Congratulations on your week
D
Old 06-06-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ho my. I also have a colleague that smells every morning. I don't think he drinks on the job, just left overs from nightly hard drinking.

He doesn't report to me directly but to my other team lead. I'm not even sure how we should approach this.

You did her a favor, well done!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Where I live it is my obligation as her closest boss to acknowledge the problem, approach her and offer her treatment. It was a really hard thing for me to do, got support from others in the organisation, but felt like a fraud...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the same obligations. I will consult with HR and labor relations before I make a move. Just to make sure I do this right.

We have an employee assistance program also.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done Laura567.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
I wrote some time ago about an employee of mine who got caught drunk at work. I had to confront her and get her into rehab. She was chocked but soon told me she had been drinking all her life. She is now middle-aged and got into rehab fist time at 30. Has been drinking on and off with as much as 8 year sobriety once. I find this so sad, myself sober only a week and a million relapses behind me. The disease will never go away. One can never let the guard down.
I was happy that I was able to offer her a rehabprogram and she willingly accepted, I hope that it will help her.
I can only imagime what kind of struggles she has had in her life. I donīt want to be her in 20 years...
Well done Laura, sometimes people need to be directed to the problem they face, a lot of people don't realise it or in some cases just want someone to help them through it.

Well done Laura.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done. Good decision Laura.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
Where I live it is my obligation as her closest boss to acknowledge the problem, approach her and offer her treatment. It was a really hard thing for me to do, got support from others in the organisation, but felt like a fraud...
Do you think she suspects you have a problem?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Laura, you did the right thing and your employee will probably thank you. I remember when I was approached because I smelled of alcohol at work. It was kind of a relief actually. I never drank at work but it stays with you.

I think I know what you mean by feeling like a fraud. I prosecute misdemeanors for a living. Drinking on the street being one of those charges. How many times did I go to work smelling like alcohol and then had one of those cases? Made me a little more empathetic but before I got sober I felt like a fraud too.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you feel like a fraud because you are 7 days sober. You Are sober and you have the opportunity to stay that way for the rest of your life if you choose. Your employee is a real-life example for you about what could be your future but it doesn't have to be, with this growing awareness of the problem you can make healthier choices for yourself.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Oh, Laura, I know exactly what you mean by feeling a fraud. I worked as an HR Business Partner for a number of years and had to advise managers on how to deal with staff with drink problems. I also had to recommend whether they were dismissed or not. I used to go home to my wine feeling an inch tall, but I like to think that I used my experience and obvious empathy to do what I honestly felt was right for the person.

It sounds as though you handled the situation really well - and you are now doing something about your own. Please let go of any guilt and congratulate yourself on a very difficult job well done

And congratulations on your week sober too
Old 06-06-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Croissant, no I donīt think she suspects, I am thinking she would have brought it up. But i am not sure. Thank you for all the responses, I feel quite good that I did what I did, I was told by HR that some bosses just choose to ignore because it is "difficult"...
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 7 days , ...and what a wonderful thing you did to help her in a positive direction