Notices

HELP -- Beer in the house!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HELP -- Beer in the house!

****ALERT***** Beer in the house!

OK, I briskly walked this afternoon on an 4% incline for 45 Minutes. Did a little light weight lifting. Have been drinking lemon and water. I was looking up the health benefits of it, and Lime with water as well as, how is can effect your teeth. I was also waiting for my bath water to cool down.

Husband shows up with a damn 12 pack of beer. He was rambling about having a bad day at work. I am a consultant so I travel some and also work for various clients, so my schedule can be flexible.

As I go into the kitchen, he said "I know you wouldn't have wanted me to pick this up..." and I told him it was OK. I refilled my 50 Gallon (exaggerating of course) water bottle and poured a bit more lemon in, ice, and some Cayenne Pepper. I know he will not drink all of this beer tonight, he does not drink a lot now. However, it is IN the refrigerator. I am only on my 2nd night!!! I am not mad at him, I am mad at me for wanting some just because it is in there, but at the same time I don't want it. It is very hard to explain. I don't have an outside fridge so every time I open that door I will see it tonight, and I don't like this.

Wow, this is going to take some will power. The good thing is. I don't feel shaky or anything, no headache, feel good after working out. So, why do I feel I need it?

I am so confused. I was not expecting this. If I get through this night...... I have to get through this night.

This has to be like people that have overeating disorders. Food is everywhere, and you have to have it. You can stay away from smoking and drinking a lot easier.

Scared.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I completely relate, Happy! My hubby keeps beer in the fridge pretty much all the time. Thankfully, it is a basement fridge, but I do go into it pretty frequently, for the extra milk, yogurt, etc...

I try to remind myself of something Dee suggested. I just need to think of it as "not mine." That beer is not mine, kind of like with roommates, when you keep out of each others' stuff. So, I try to tell myself that, so I don't consider it available to me. It is his stash, not for my consumption.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's possible for you to move forward with beer in the house but if it becomes problematic maybe you can talk about it with your husband.

Sobriety being your priority, I'm sure he would understand and respect your will.

Great job on day 2 btw!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well, but yes, sometimes there are unexpected bumps in the road.

You can get through this evening.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy I live in a household with two other people who drink normally so I've seen alcohol in the fridge since Day 1, I'm at 15 months now. It helped me to look around and find a non-alcoholic drink that I liked, I ended up choosing San Pellegrino chinotto. When other people have a drink I get out a special glass, ice and slowly pour my chinotto -- it's become my drink.

Keep the focus on you, your likes and your recovery in this early stage. Don't go back to the fridge tonight, if you need something ask your husband to get it for you. Perhaps he could buy a small cheap bar fridge later in the week and keep the beer in that?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

I can relate. Thankfully, after five months I have gotten used to having alcohol in the house and not even thinking about it. But...brownies on the other hand...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find it really helpful to remind myself who I want to be.

I can be the person I want to be, or I can drink..but I can't do both

It's hard when it's around but it's not impossible, You can do this. Use the support here HappyWithout

D
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all. He wanted dinner so I have had to go in and out of the fridge. I am keeping my water in there with me.... So far so good.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I very much relate as well. I live with my parents (my dad's a "functioning alcoholic") and there is booze everywhere! In the fridge, the pantry, the computer room, the downstairs freezer and the garage. Wine, beer, rum, White Russian, buttery nipple shots... It's insane. Alcohol is not my d.o.c. but I have no qualms about using it when it's all I can get my hands on so it is still a trigger and a temptation.

When I find myself starting to linger around the alcohol when I see it in the fridge or pantry or whenever I call someone immediately, preferably a recovery friend. They distract me and get my mind off of all the booze and also help remind me of all the reasons why I need to not take even one sip. You did the right thing by posting about it here.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again, everyone.

Dinner is finished and eaten. He has his beer next to him. I haven't even taken a sip of his.

What's the point really? I will only want to get a buzz. So, 1 would not be a choice for me. I think he's had 2 - maybe this is his 3rd? I am not going in there and even looking at the box.

He wants me to quit. I wonder if this is some sort of test to see if I'm serious about it.
If I pass, I will probably have to get used to this anyway.

Sucks. It would have been so much easier if he did not bring that home.

He can drink a few and be fine... He used to drink more, but he's never been real bad. Out at bars when he was younger, etc...
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru this cause you're doing it for yourself. For your own well being and good health. Keep reminding yourself of why you quit in the first place.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It is very hard but it can be done. When I originally became sober in 2001, I was living with an abusive raging drunk. He would drink Rum (my drink of choice back then) right in front of me and there were bottles everywhere.
What I did is stay really close to my support system in AA and also joined Al Anon. I kept the focus on remaining sober no matter what.
There are quite a handful of us on SR who have become and stayed sober with alcoholic loved ones, drinking roommates, beer guzzling partners etc. Keep the focus on yourself and your own priorities
I would strongly suggest that on top of SR you also get a support system in the physical world whether it be AA, Women For Sobriety, Smart....There will be time when it will be a bit too much and you will need to have sober friends to hang out with while he is at home drinking his beer.
Also, an evening like that, it might be a good idea to reach out to a friend or relative and go to the movies or for a long walk with them so you are physically out of the place.
We can become and stay clean and sober whether our loved ones are still drinking/using or not
Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ps: I certainly hope it is not a "test" because if it is, he is a seriously screwed up individual and not a loving partner.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Ps: I certainly hope it is not a "test" because if it is, he is a seriously screwed up individual and not a loving partner.
Why would he buy a 12 pack when he will probably drink less than 6??
Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Because normal drinkers can buy a twelve pack or a bottle, have some and leave the rest for another day while we alcoholics can't.
Anyway, enough about his drinking. What is your plan and what are you doing for your recovery?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyWithout View Post

He wants me to quit. I wonder if this is some sort of test to see if I'm serious about it.
If I pass, I will probably have to get used to this anyway.

Sucks. It would have been so much easier if he did not bring that home.

He can drink a few and be fine... He used to drink more, but he's never been real bad. Out at bars when he was younger, etc...

a test? i don't know yer hubby but im thinkin no. yup, yer stopping drinkin, but in his mind he may not understand how hard that can be and not see anything wrong with bringing alcohol into the house for him to consume.

you may want to have a conversation about it with him. if yer gonna put on a mask and make like its all ok, how will he know the struggle yer having?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's a test HappyWithout.

Normal drinkers by 12 packs cos it works out cheaper, I'd guess.
There need not be any conspiracy I don't think.

D
Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My first thought when reading your post is that it's a passive aggressive move on his part. He can drink, and you can't, ha ha. When I go to my sisters house, the first thing she does when I get there is pull out the wine and beer and see who all wants a drink. At the same time, she's very critical of me being alcoholic, a story for a different forum.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have mentally exhausted myself on it. He already knows I will drink it when it is here. OR I use to. We have been together almost 8 years. Married almost 2. I don't want to discuss it with him, as he is under a tremendous amount of stress at work and mentally right now I am concentrating on myself more so than anything. His drinking does not bother me, it is the fact that it is hard when first quitting and I'm very vulnerable right now. It is me I am concerned about drinking it.

What am I doing about it? For ME? I'm not drinking it. It is poison to me, but not to him. I can request he take it with him in the morning. It may put him out a bit as it will get hot in the car, but he can put some in the freezer when he gets home, but it is HIS beer. Not MINE to drink, anyway, right?

I'm making it so far. Bed time will come soon enough. I hope I can sleep tonight. Last night went OK, as I used Valium and Anti-histamines...
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gvrecovery View Post
My first thought when reading your post is that it's a passive aggressive move on his part. He can drink, and you can't, ha ha. When I go to my sisters house, the first thing she does when I get there is pull out the wine and beer and see who all wants a drink. At the same time, she's very critical of me being alcoholic, a story for a different forum.
That's mean your sister does that. Part of me gets a bit of appreciation that he knows I am able to avoid it tonight, actually. It makes me feel a bit superior and strong in a way.