Notices

Married to an opiate addict

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Married to an opiate addict

I am new to this. About 4 weeks ago my husband was incarcerated. Two days before this he told me he was having "problems" with opiates.
He claims he took some for a hurt knee a few months go.
However his behavior changed long before that. All my possessions went missing. Money went missing. He went missing all the time-late at night-for hours on end. My debit/credit cards had charges on them that I never made.
It has been HELL for the past 8 months.
He was the most kind,generous,sweet loving man. The man I was loving with for the past 8 months is not the man I married or fell in love with. he turned in to a demon. He tried to take more of my things and I had just had enough and tried to stop him. We ended up in a physical altercation and I got hurt,he got arrested.
I don't understand why? WHY? We were so happy. We had jobs, a house and loving family and friends. WHY? I cannot get my head to stop spinning with these thoughts. I have lost my love and I am devastated.
Just reaching out for help.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i've been down a very similar road as your husband. i know what it's like to have an opiate addiction turn me into a demon, and that is the best way to describe it. the good thing is he can turn it around. he can get clean and be a better man than he was before the addiction. the bad thing is you have no idea and no way to be sure he will. i needed to reach my absolute bottom before i could. my wife asked the same questions you are asking... and she still does now 5 months after i stopped using. i can't answer the why, there are many reasons but none of them change what happened. you can't control it. he couldn't and you can't. he has to want to be sober and has to be willing to face his addiction. i don't know him or what it will take for him to see that. i've seen my wife struggle with dealing with my addiction and i know how hard it is/was/will be for you. just realize that it's not you. it's not your fault. you didn't cause him to become an addict and you can't fix it. it's on him to do the work and to rebuild what has been destroyed.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He married the drug. Hugs
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you mfalk.
I am finding responses from individuals who have been addicted to opiates helpful. Just to give me some insight. I have never really been around this sort of thing and it is all new to me. I had no idea that opiate addiction could be like this. for me or him...none.
Do you have a way I could talk with you privately? I would appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes