Notices

Irish Wedding!!

Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irish Wedding!!

I posted a while back about my sister getting married this Saturday, well we’re almost there, my mum phoned me this evening to tell me that she’s flying over to London tomorrow afternoon and asked had I sorted out the to do list I was to get sorted last Saturday, and of course the answer was yes!! . . . I was also instructed to keep in touch between now and seeing everyone on Saturday!!

I have this Friday booked off work, I fly across that afternoon, airports do my head in if I’m being honest, but my new found past time is browsing the perfume shops, not that I’m that interested in perfume, but there always seems to be rows upon rows of the stuff and it’s ideal for passing many an hour simply reading all the numerous bottles, also if you spend enough time browsing, some of the sales assistants approach you and the conversations you can have can be very entertaining.

Anyways, I digress, Friday evening I shall be staying in the hotel that the wedding will be held in, the service and reception is all in the same place, which I think is the future for weddings, no traveling involved whatsoever, I will meet up with my future brother in law and the groomsmen on the Friday evening for some food, this will be my first challenge, they may be having pre wedding drinks. I then will see my sister and mum in the morning at the service, again the reception will be the second challenge.

So what’s the plan? well I’ve personally emailed my brother in law that I will be having an early night on Friday and won’t be drinking, box ticked, I’ve also checked with my sister as to the many toasts that will inevitably be taking place during the reception as to whether there will be a non alcoholic option and there will be, box ticked, I have phoned the hotel to confirm what non alcoholic drinks they serve and they have a wide variety, box ticked.

My back up for the day will be 2 people, my mum is teetotal, she doesn’t drink, and I mentioned before when I was given a +1 on my invitation I invited a good friend who lives in London who doesn’t drink that much, if I stay in either of their company during the evening, we’ll all be sipping cranberry juice without even a question mark, dancing the night away Sober to cheesy 80s hits!!

SR will also be on my phone, and my pre booked hotel room will be awaiting should I need to slip out early from the proceedings and have an early night.

I guess I wanted to post, first of all for accountability, and second to give some reassurance to whoever may be reading, that a plan is the way forward, I’m feeling pretty confident in my plan and that is key for such events, this event is a must attend event, I even have a speech to give as my dad won't be in attendance.

I’ll be MIA for a few days over the weekend, but in a good way!!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan! A really GOOD plan! Now that you have done the legwork you only need to check the "fun" box!!!! Have a great time!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great well thought out plan PK! Enjoy the wedding, and we will be here to listen if you need a break, but sounds like you have it under control.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Cannot wait to hear all the details! Have a fabulous weekend and celebration.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You have it covered PK. Very wise of you to anticipate some of the issues that may pop up. We will be thinking of you. I hope you have loads of fun. Congrats to your sister.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. I'm Irish-American, my brother just got engaged and I'm already getting anxious about how I'll get out of the drinking! Your plan sounds great, enjoy
Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it sounds like a very well thought plan PK. Just imagine that the +1 is +everyone here on SR. You will have us with you in your pocket, on your phone. We will be with you in thought.

Have fun!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, now that's a plan ! Enjoy !
Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you've planned this really well and given it a good deal of thought. It's great the hotel you are staying in is where all the celebrations are so you can leave at any point and disappear to your room and SR if things get too much. Have a fantastic weekend
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Enjoy and good luck and congratulations to the bride and groom and families
Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Irish wedding? Dear god. Bring your own water, the taps were replaced with whiskey many years ago. Everybody will be too drunk to remember whether or not you were there, never mind if you drank so don't worry about that. In fact as the sober one at an Irish wedding you could probably use this opportunity to tell people what you really think of them, by the time they hit the reception you will be merely a blur.

Only poking fun, I'm part Irish myself and lived there for a time =)

Hope you have a lovely day.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

PK! Do not forget to buy some really good earplugs!! *for after the festivities, not during.

Just remembered this one. Multiple pairs so you can be well slept and on your game.

Have a wonderful time

Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
I posted a while back about my sister getting married this Saturday, well we’re almost there, my mum phoned me this evening to tell me that she’s flying over to London tomorrow afternoon and asked had I sorted out the to do list I was to get sorted last Saturday, and of course the answer was yes!! . . . I was also instructed to keep in touch between now and seeing everyone on Saturday!!

I have this Friday booked off work, I fly across that afternoon, airports do my head in if I’m being honest, but my new found past time is browsing the perfume shops, not that I’m that interested in perfume, but there always seems to be rows upon rows of the stuff and it’s ideal for passing many an hour simply reading all the numerous bottles, also if you spend enough time browsing, some of the sales assistants approach you and the conversations you can have can be very entertaining.

Anyways, I digress, Friday evening I shall be staying in the hotel that the wedding will be held in, the service and reception is all in the same place, which I think is the future for weddings, no traveling involved whatsoever, I will meet up with my future brother in law and the groomsmen on the Friday evening for some food, this will be my first challenge, they may be having pre wedding drinks. I then will see my sister and mum in the morning at the service, again the reception will be the second challenge.

So what’s the plan? well I’ve personally emailed my brother in law that I will be having an early night on Friday and won’t be drinking, box ticked, I’ve also checked with my sister as to the many toasts that will inevitably be taking place during the reception as to whether there will be a non alcoholic option and there will be, box ticked, I have phoned the hotel to confirm what non alcoholic drinks they serve and they have a wide variety, box ticked.

My back up for the day will be 2 people, my mum is teetotal, she doesn’t drink, and I mentioned before when I was given a +1 on my invitation I invited a good friend who lives in London who doesn’t drink that much, if I stay in either of their company during the evening, we’ll all be sipping cranberry juice without even a question mark, dancing the night away Sober to cheesy 80s hits!!

SR will also be on my phone, and my pre booked hotel room will be awaiting should I need to slip out early from the proceedings and have an early night.

I guess I wanted to post, first of all for accountability, and second to give some reassurance to whoever may be reading, that a plan is the way forward, I’m feeling pretty confident in my plan and that is key for such events, this event is a must attend event, I even have a speech to give as my dad won't be in attendance.

I’ll be MIA for a few days over the weekend, but in a good way!!

It sounds like you have a plan in place, it's hard not too overthink these situations as we have built so many walls between us and alcohol, I'm sure you will be fine my friend.

Enjoy the alcohol free selection at the bar, it's not all bad from my experience, plus we avoid looking drunk in photographs which is always a benefit.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
dancing the night away Sober to cheesy 80s hits!!
YESSS
I love dancing now because I can be up on a table or on the bar without falling off drunk.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have a great day and congratulations to your sister and her husband to be.
As they say fail to prepare prepare to fail.
Always hated that expression but now I know differently.
Fantastic plan.
John.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've got your defense circling ready for the face-off, my hockey-loving Irish friend! Enjoy the wedding and congratulations to your sister and husband-to-be!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
YESSS
I love dancing now because I can be up on a table or on the bar without falling off drunk.
SL: You still do the lift over your head move too?

PK- sounds like you got it covered. Remember though, the best laid plans...

Enjoy yourself my friend.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a great time!

Sounds like you have a great plan going into this. It's really smart to put your ducks in a row and get your "outs" sorted (going home early Friday, etc) before you put on that tuxedo. Since this is your sister's big day, I know you'll probably have lots of positive emotions as well!

Have a great experience, and just know that you are making your sister's special day even better by being there in a supportive, sober, role for her!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by LBrain
SL: You still do the lift over your head move too?
Oh you mean like the "raise the roof" move? lol no, I never did that one. I just like dancing on things. Heaven help us all if I spot a pole in the vicinity!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,

We'll I'm home safe and sound from London, thanks soo much to those that sent me a PM to see if I was alright, as I think my last post was last Thurs, it's now Wed, don't think I've ever had such a gap between posts, but I did do some "lurking", reading a few posts in the few minutes I had here and there.

Soo the wedding went well, I'm exhausted to say the least, I can only think how my sister and new brother in law must have felt after it was all over, as I was running around with the best man making sure things were running smoothly in the background and I'm pleased to say everything did, the bride and groom are now in San Francisco on their honeymoon!!

I am soo glad I got Sober over 7 months ago, I could concentrate on chatting to guests and enjoying the day, rather than propping up the bar, I'd recommend a Sober wedding to anyone!!

I'm now off work for a few days more, so expect me to be around these parts, posting again, you'll not be able to get rid of me!!

Hope everyone is doing well, and again thanks to those who were concerned, means a lot!!