Notices

realizing other addictions

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

realizing other addictions

so now that I've been thinking about my addiction to alcohol a lot, I now am starting to see that I may be addicted to some other stuff too. One thing is not really a substance so doubt I can talk about it here. I think I have an addictive personality and can easily get addicted to lots of things. its a little overwhelming to be honest.

Drinking is causing me the most problems though. So need to work on that primarily. Its possible that dealing with that will help me get over some of the other stuff.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Learning to deal with one addiction can certainly help you deal with others. Have you considered talking with an addictions counselor at all? It couldn't hurt.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that is a good idea. I could really benefit from some one on one support from a professional. not sure how to find an addictions counselor though.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many of us here have addictive personalities. I have to be careful not to go from my alcoholism to an eating disorder. It is as though I participate in self destructive behavior so I need to be conscious of it. I read a book about an alcoholic who quit drinking and then racked up 30k in credit card debt.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to that. I stopped drinking at one time about 5 years ago then just got into having anorexia. got help for that eventually but towards the end of treatment, I went back to drinking. trading addictions. have to be careful now to not do that.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

<<<~~~~~ You mean, like internet forums?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also think I have an addictive personality, though nothing got to me the way alcohol did. I agree that talking to a counsellor could be very helpful because it sounds like you might need to deal with some underlying issues. To find an addiction counsellor, you could check with your dr for a referral, or just use google.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah I guess the internet can be somewhat addictive too. I do know if I stay doing too much internet stuff during the day, I don't really feel that great.

I will try google. for the counselor. I do think I need therapy. I have several mental illnesses and need some extra help.