Notices

Day 3 and why is it so hard

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and why is it so hard

I am back on day 3. For some reason this is a tough day for me. I guess that's pretty common but I just have to power through it, right?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Day 3 and 4 were a killer for me too. Powering through is one way, but make sure you are asking for help along the way. Doing so here on SR is a great way to do that, so kudos for coming and asking. Attending meetings locally wouldn't hurt either if you have access to do so. Being around others who are working on the same goal as you is very helpful.

Another thing that helped me in early sobriety was to have a very detailed plan for each day. I would literally write it down ( well, put it in my calendar onlne ) but i would schedule my entire day out ahead of me. Even if I was just going to spend an hour on SR or read a book, I would log it in my calendar. That way I didn't end up with idle time where I could let thoughts of drinking start creeping back in.

It gets better soon...hang in there!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
I am back on day 3. For some reason this is a tough day for me. I guess that's pretty common but I just have to power through it, right?

I second Scott, the earliest days are tough but you will find a way to power through.

In the first week or so my cravings were at their peak in the early evenings after work and if I felt them too strongly I would just try to go to bed a bit earlier, it seemed to help me anyway.

Just keep on posting and we will do all we can to help.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 3 is tough but you know what.....you are on Day 3 and that is amazing!! It TOTALLY makes sense that it is a tough day. It is starting to get real. But this is where you can start getting real too
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Early days are hard work, but count them off, go to bed early DVDs books , and in no time at all you'll be gaining confidence.
Read the post 3 years today and see it can be done .
Keep in there.
John.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im on day 3 as well snakes its especially hard as my money goes into the bank after 12pm tonight. I feel tired and usually thats when i go and see the dealer for cocaine then the drinking starts then its another week wondering what happened. Im going shopping for some nice food instead to treat myself, chocolate is a favourite of mine. Im just going to avoid my usual places.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Try the bacon jam, it is full of AV-fighting goodness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bacon-jam.jpg (18.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Keep your eyes on the prize, snakes! Somebody very irritating once said 'nothing worth having comes easy' and, sadly, they were right

Remember what you're fighting for, seek distraction and eat ice cream and chocolate. Nice warm bath, get tucked up in bed and before you know it you're on day 4 and slowly feeling stronger

Oh, and keep reading and posting here too.

Rooting for you, friend
Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now Snakes?

D
Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Snakes,
You are not alone! I am on day 3, which started pretty good. I have had a lot of trouble since the post I shared under my handle this morning. I have felt like all my synapses are firing but in different directions, and very confused, disoriented. Some sweats, shakes and I can't concentrate on anything to get it done. Terrible cravings for sweets, and I never eat sugar....guess the booze takes care of that. I'm toughing it out knowing it will only get better, eating well, trying to relax. HeadLump said it all above, and I'm thanking him too-"Keep your eye on the prize", but whew, it has been a long weird day for me too.
Hope you are doing better!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The early days can be rough, but remember: if you never drink again you never have to go thru this again.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Determined

Things get exponentially better once the withdrawal passes. Chances are you have seen the worst of it.

GL moving forward!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Snakes, 3 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Just tuff it out, suffer through it, divert your attention in whatever way you can, and praise yourself every day you stay sober. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post and support to each other. I feel like I've had several day 3s but few day 4s and even less day 5s (made it day 22 a year ago). It's true that the early days are difficult and the detox symptoms are uncomfortable since I'm not sleeping well. I am inspired by those of you who make it through the first few weeks and appreciate the advice of having a daily plan which is something I will begin. It's so easy to say kill the headache with a glass of wine (which becomes the bottle before you know it) or drink a glass to help relax so you can sleep (which becomes several glasses). I can't seem to accept the fact I can't do just a glass approach anymore. I'm rooting for all of you too and am gaining strength through your strength.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
My night three is very bad depression. It left me after that, but then came back after I got all the poison out of my system.

It will get so much better! I'm only on night four myself, so we can do this!