Notices

marijuana use after crack recovery?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

marijuana use after crack recovery?

hi I am the fiancé of a recovering crack addict...been recovered for five years. However, in the last two months he has began to smoke marijuana more frequently. The last time he did he said it was a bad batch cause it did not get him high. I am afraid for him . I do not wan to see him go down that road. He said it is not a problem because his addiction was cocaine and crack not marijuana or alcohol. I asked him about attending a AA he said he would look into it. Is it true he can smoke and not go back to crack or is this something different. I am not an addict so I don't know how accurate any of this is. advice please I only been with him 6 months and the last three I found out about his former addiction and his marijuans use
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to the site!

As an alcoholic myself, I have to be careful about picking up another addiction, especially another mind-altering drug like pot.

There is no way to know what is going to happen with him in the future, but with only six months invested, you may want to seriously rethink a relationship with him at this time.

Try going over to the Friends and Family section of the forums here, you'll be able to read about lots of other stories like yours, and you can find support and help. Below is a link:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never progressed to crack but have experience with coke, alcohol and marijuana. I am of the mindset that an addict cannot use any mind altering substance. I would use this as a wake up call. Being married to an addict can be quite draining emotionally and financially.

IT would seem to me that he going right back towards the crack pipe its just a matter of time. Read the book In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, by Gabor Mate. ITs a great book on addiction.

Also you may want to look into Al Anon if you pursue this relationship. You will learn about loving detachment, which will be a useful tool for you and your fiancé.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband is a crack cocaine addict and alcoholic. Last summer, after over a year sober, he insisted that he wasn't an alcoholic, that he could safely drink alcohol, it was just crack that he couldn't do. That was an epic fail.

About five years ago after a period of sobriety he did the same thing with marijuana. He could smoke marijuana, he just couldn't do crack. That was also an epic fail.

Whether he does or doesn't smoke is a decision you, unfortunately have no control over. I'd say it wasn't a good idea but that is based only on what I've seen. As jdooner said, being married to an addict is quite draining, emotionally and financially and I'm an alcoholic saying this. I've lived with it going on ten years. It was only when I let go of the idea that I could control only my reaction to what was going on that I found some measure of peace and a more clear idea of what to do.

I suggest going to the support forum for family and friends of addicts. I wish you well.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just the facts -- from up top the mountain

Originally Posted by candy123 View Post
hi I am the fiancé of a recovering crack addict...been recovered for five years. However, in the last two months he has began to smoke marijuana more frequently.
note
most in Recovery would not call your fiancé clean and sober

he may be deceiving himself
and end up back on his drug of choice before long

just the facts -- from up top the mountain

Mountainman
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Candy - welcome

Some would say it's fine to smoke pot - but I think addiction is addiction - if it can't get you one way it'll get you another.

I have many years experience with that.

The really important part of this, to me, is you're scared and worried.
Have you talked to him about your fear?

D
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some people quit crack and smoke pot without going back to crack and some people go back to crack, no way anyone can tell you what is going to happen with random guy X you're dating, we just don't have enough information to make an educated assessment.

Why are you engaged to someone when you have serious questions about whether he is prone to relapse as a crack addict? Seems like a lot of risk and uncertainty to take on in a legal relationship that can be costly and painful to unentangle, to say nothing of the opportunity cost of time invested. Marriage seems risky enough on its own without adding drug abuse and relapse risk to the mix.

Plenty of single men out there with very, very low risk of crack use. Just saying.

Good luck.