Notices

Boo to booze

Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boo to booze

Haven't had a drink in about 3 weeks. I have a problem with stopping once I have started. And am starting to recognize how strong the urge is to feel that "fuzzy warm" I experience 2-3 drinks in.... Problem is once I get the "fuzzy warm" I can't guarantee it will not turn into a "drink till I pass our" kind of night.

So like I said, no drink in 3 weeks. And I was tempted more than I expected to. And then this weekend. Friday, went out to a "work thing" work my husband and his Co-workers. I had one. Saturday I ran a 6mile obstacle course run, I had one at handed to me at the finish line. Sunday (today) I had a beer with lunch and one more while bowling.

Now.... I haven't gotten drunk. Yet. But even the "warm fuzzies" I experienced today sucked. The feeling sucked! Like I was on NyQuil. Slow moving, tired, heavy, sluggish. Headache.

Why oh why did I drink. Even today I can see the appeal being lost...
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Admitting/accepting that you can't have the first one is the key to freedom XO. I'm curious as to what you were doing those 3 weeks...some kind of plan? It obviously worked well for a while. Learn from this and tweak/add tools to help next time.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always felt worse after having just one or two. The same feeling you described. I don't understand how people can only drink one or two and then not feel,awful. Mine was Alleviated only by drinking a bunch more. Whenever I think "oh, just one would be nice" I remember what I feel like after having just one. And that I would be drinking a bunch more to get rid of that feeling.

And then what Scott said. Learn from the experience and tweak what has been working for you. Three weeks is not easy and you did it.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I was recently clean for 1st time in years for 34 days and decided,,, hey one or two would be fine.... once I got that buzzzz there was no stopping me!!!..... so as from your comments above,, I cannot in future just have 1....... in my life I have take my Quota,

Its all over for me (now 52.5 yrs) and want to see my young family grow up and provide for them, if I drink alcohol my recovery period is so long now and the damage is so unknown it scares me, so from now on zero alcohol, its the only way or I will die, as I know it will kill me eventually if don't stop now, 9 days clean again and still feel crap with all the same symptoms as before,, just not worth this physical and mental pain,, its a fools game,, have a nice day everyone
Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I always felt worse after having just one or two. The same feeling you described. I don't understand how people can only drink one or two and then not feel,awful. Mine was Alleviated only by drinking a bunch more. Whenever I think "oh, just one would be nice" I remember what I feel like after having just one. And that I would be drinking a bunch more to get rid of that feeling. And then what Scott said. Learn from the experience and tweak what has been working for you. Three weeks is not easy and you did it.
That's my experience too! I have one and I feel sick, really sick. I thought everyone felt that way after one! It never occurred to me in the 22 years of drinking that I was suffering from an alcohol allergy (that's what they call it in my AA home group). Two and I'm a little better but want "just one more". I can't stop after that. No off switch.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was tempted tonight to get just one or two. I can't take my first drink because I'm never satisfied with two. It needs to go on. I rationalized this to myself, knowing that one would be a waste. For me, it's either none or five. I don't want to have five, so it stays at none.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi unchartedxo

it was really hard for me to avoid boozer too, especially when I made no changes to my old life, cos that life was geared to finding drinks and drinking buddies.

I actually had to work at avoiding alcohol, and at practicing what I would do if I had a surprise encounter

It took me a lot of years but I finally worked out I can have just one...and I hate who I am drunk, so the best outcome, like getoffthebus said, is for me to have none at all

D
Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Admitting/accepting that you can't have the first one is the key to freedom XO. I'm curious as to what you were doing those 3 weeks...some kind of plan? It obviously worked well for a while. Learn from this and tweak/add tools to help next time.
For those 3 weeks alcohol just wasn't an option. I simply wouldn't allow it to be.

Moderation for me is so much easier when my husband is with me. I don't drink because I am trying to escape something when my husband is with me.

But my husband is gone for the next 2 weeks. I can't allow myself to start letting alcohol be an option. If I so, I will become a holy drunken hot mess at least once while he's gone. I don't want that. At all.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. The thing I needed to do to plug the jug for good was to be HONEST with myself about MY drinking. Not as easy as I thought it would be as I rationalized and compared too much as a natural reaction. Next I needed to accept that I could not drink ANY alcohol in safety. Far from last I needed to get/be sober for myself, not the family, boy/girl friend or job. Sobriety became my number one priority and still is many years later.
Alcohol I found out is only the tip of the problem like an iceberg, our characteristics need to be altered to retain sobriety and attain that feeling of being comfortable in our own skin.

BE WELL
Old 06-02-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My plan was simply not letting alcohol be an option. I allowed alcohol to be an option this weekend. I am sorry to admit I was not strong enough against it.

Again, I am pleased I didn't allow it to go too far, but am not pleased I allowed the option of it going too far back in my life. I can drink normally when I'm with my husband. Which is when I drank on Friday and Saturday, but I did drink again on Sunday when he was gone. And I know he would have discouraged the final beer I had. I was able to stop yesterday... By some miracle... But don't want to tempt myself again during these next few weeks while my husband is gone.... Because next time I could wind up a hot drunken mess :-/
Old 06-02-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi unchartedxo!
Boo to booze is right. That happened to me too. Quit for 2 weeks than had 2 glasses of wine and felt like death. Last drinks I ever had. That was almost 15 months ago.

Use the experience to remind you it is all cr*p. Whether 1 or 100 it just is going to be trouble. Best to just leave it behind and never look back.

Boo to booze is right!

You can do it! It's pretty fabulous without it.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

survived the weekend in party-land Bahrain, not a drop, hurrah, as on my last visit after 34 days clean I slipped and got blacked out, this time I was stronger T.G.
back in Saudi now, 14 days clean feel as if I was drinking all weekend with headache, twitches, aches and pains and generally malaise. I know these PAWS will pass just have to have patience. back in work now and hiding my pain trying to keep the bright side out, roll on 6 pm and a nice swim. WHAT AN INFLICTION TO HAVE!! Its murder. Have a nice Day and sorry if I posted in wrong place,