Notices

I want my life back please!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want my life back please!

I want my life back. I am so tired of hiding my drinking from my boyfriend of 3.5 years and kids (7&9). I decided to stop yesterday after a vacation to the beach with him and my kids. We are both in our 40s. There were about 10 other families there too. I got so drunk on beer and started yelling at him and then it led to cursing at him and my kids. I embarrassed my kids, him and myself. This behavior has to stop.

What I am worried about most is I have tried to quit before and can never make it past a few days. He has forgiven me before but this time he won't even talk to me. We drove home in complete silence for 2 hours and he said he doesn't want to talk to me and left to go to his house.

Why does alcohol control my life where I can't stop drinking? I drink 1 then another then I black out. It is either beer or liquor.

I don't even recall what I said to him which is so embarrassing. He said I started rambling about how he was leaving me just like everyone else in my life has left me.... I want to crawl in a hole! I can't let this continue.

I have sneaked drinking for years and blame it on me being tired or sleeping pills or sleeping pills with a beer. My drinking has caused me to have no friends. I always get sober enough to go to my great job which I am grateful to have. I feel so alone in my life right now.

I have told him over and over I would quit and never commit. I went 7 days last month and then started back when I don't feel like things are going well in my life.

He said "why do I think I believe you mean it this time because you've told me that before. You said some mean, hurtful things and embarrassed me in front of my friends. I can't forgive you this time."

I feel so alone right now but I'm sober!

I want to change so bad and not have to crave a drink when I get home...to end up drunk.

Can I get him back to support me as I don't know if I can do this alone?

What advise do you have for me?

I want to change my life around!!

Thanks for any comments and suggestions you have. The other posts I have read here have been very encouraging.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Forgive, and welcome!

I don't have any one golden piece of advice, but I can tell you SR is a great place to find support, encouragement, and understanding.

I hope you will continue to read the boards and post as much as you want. Again, welcome!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have hope...I am you . Just need to hit our point where we stop the insanity and embrace normacly. I can't seem to do it... But I try each day... you can too!!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reading and posting on SR is a great start, welcome! There are lots of different ways, methods, and plans, that people have used. Look around, and see what might work for you. With or without your boyfriend, you CAN do this!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome ForgiveMeAll. It's such a terrible feeling. Your boyfriend has forgiven you so many times, it is a terrible feeling. Somehow we convince ourselves that this time when we drink, it will be different - where all he can see is one more time you turned your back on him and your kids and swigged down some poison.

I'm sure it feels deliberate to our loved ones. So I can imagine he doesn't want anything to do with you right now.

So, what are you going to do to show him this time is different?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a painful story to read. I'm sorry. Blessings.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome FMA. You will find many here who empathize and understand exactly the anguish you are currently facing. We are here because we too have embarrassed ourselves, ruined relationships and failed to control ourselves under the influence.
Stick around...you will find hope, understanding and some wonderful wisdom here...as well as people as scared and bewildered as you (like me).

You're among friends.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi ForgiveMeAll, welcome to SR.

Lots of help and encouragement here for you. We was all in your position, one way or another .

Don't give up hope, our husbands, partners don't believe us because we've done it so many times before. Concentrate on getting yourself sober, join us, there's some amazing things to learn.

One being, there is life after alcohol, you can have a great life without it. I didn't believe it possible, but it's true..
Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ForgiveMeAll

two things I know - one is you'll find support here - the other is that you really can get your life back - I did

welcome to SR

D
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Read around these boards and you will recognise yourself over and over. You have tried using just your willpower. That's not enough.

There is so much help here.

Good luck. X
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi ForgiveMeAll,
Welcome to SR. We're here for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Something that really helped me was learning about what addiction really means. You are sorry and you want to be better, but your body and brain are wired to need alcohol and will do anything to trick you in to drinking again. Alcohol is a highly addictive drug.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mary2

Welcome. I've wrecked past relationships with booze. Commit and stay strong. It's really worth it. One day at a time. Much love xxxx
Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome Forgive.

I had an incident similar to yours that motivated me to get help and finally nix the booze. Christmas party, way too much wine and then a shot... I turned into that yelling, obnoxious, demanding drunk that I hated to hang out with.

My partner did forgive me. But I had to start showing I was serious. I started going to meetings because I figured those people would know how to not drink. I got a lot more than that out of it.

I think he could forgive but first you have to pull a plan together and show that you're taking some kind of action to quit.

Again, welcome! And start this out by forgiving yourself!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yup - what everyone else said - you CAN do this. If you want it bad enough, one day at a time you CAN beat this.
My BF (??? unsure at the moment) has also said the same thing to me after the last binge (I wrecked his car) ...it was the last straw. He was LIVID with me, actually I don't even think that's a strong enough word. But even after a few days, when he saw I checked myself into a detox, came clean with my employers and admitted I am now aware I am an alcoholic, he slowly softened....even visited me numerous times that week.

If you want to sober up, do just that. Make everyday a sober one, maybe he will eventually see that this time, THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT.
he probably needs some time as well, we sure do put our loved ones through the ringer...be gentle with yourself.
you're in the right place
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Welcome ForgiveMeAll. It's such a terrible feeling. Your boyfriend has forgiven you so many times, it is a terrible feeling. Somehow we convince ourselves that this time when we drink, it will be different - where all he can see is one more time you turned your back on him and your kids and swigged down some poison.

I'm sure it feels deliberate to our loved ones. So I can imagine he doesn't want anything to do with you right now.

So, what are you going to do to show him this time is different?
What am I going to different this time is do it for ME! I can never seem to find the stength to quit before because it was for someone else or another reason. So this time I am going to be selfish and work hard to find the stength each day to make the right choice. Thank you for your reply. I feel so alone going thru. How can something control my life so much? I am in control not the bottle.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
yup - what everyone else said - you CAN do this. If you want it bad enough, one day at a time you CAN beat this.
My BF (??? unsure at the moment) has also said the same thing to me after the last binge (I wrecked his car) ...it was the last straw. He was LIVID with me, actually I don't even think that's a strong enough word. But even after a few days, when he saw I checked myself into a detox, came clean with my employers and admitted I am now aware I am an alcoholic, he slowly softened....even visited me numerous times that week.

If you want to sober up, do just that. Make everyday a sober one, maybe he will eventually see that this time, THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT.
he probably needs some time as well, we sure do put our loved ones through the ringer...be gentle with yourself.
you're in the right place
I'm sorry to hear about your situation too. I can't go to rehab if my employer found out I would lose my job. I see a physcholigist but can't tell him how much I really have drunk. He is required to tell my employer. I am hoping he can help me work thru why I feel the need to feel so down on myself and have everything perfect in life....which I think has led me to drink to forget that it's not all done. I am glad to hear your boyfriend has stayed with you. I hope mine does too. Love comes with good and bad. It's an unfortunate situation to find out how much someone loves you when you hit rock bottom because of an alcohol addiction. My BF says he doesn't understand why I have looked to a bottle to solve my problems. He hasn't contacted me. I feel so alone. I appreachiate your support and kind words. It makes me know good things can still happen. I wish you well!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgiveMeAll View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your situation too. I can't go to rehab if my employer found out I would lose my job. I see a physcholigist but can't tell him how much I really have drunk. He is required to tell my employer. I am hoping he can help me work thru why I feel the need to feel so down on myself and have everything perfect in life....which I think has led me to drink to forget that it's not all done. I am glad to hear your boyfriend has stayed with you. I hope mine does too. Love comes with good and bad. It's an unfortunate situation to find out how much someone loves you when you hit rock bottom because of an alcohol addiction. My BF says he doesn't understand why I have looked to a bottle to solve my problems. He hasn't contacted me. I feel so alone. I appreachiate your support and kind words. It makes me know good things can still happen. I wish you well!
Hi ForgiveMeAll, and welcome to the forum.

My partner has said the exact same to me, that he can't understand why I'd look to a bottle to solve my problems!

I think those of us who have had issues with alcohol can see that this statement is correct, booze will never solve our problems, but in our minds it is not always as simple as that. I totally get where you are coming from.

I'm finding this forum a great support, stick with it and know that we are all rooting for you. ((Hugs))
Old 06-02-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
Something that really helped me was learning about what addiction really means. You are sorry and you want to be better, but your body and brain are wired to need alcohol and will do anything to trick you in to drinking again. Alcohol is a highly addictive drug.
Yes it is. I can't believe how it has controlled so much of my life. How do you re-wire your brain to forget about the addiction??