Notices

Day 7

Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

A week under my belt after I get through today. I don't like how that sounds, "Get through the day"... I'm going to make a conscious choice to do more than get through the day for now on.

We had a graduation party to go to yesterday. Keg beer and mixed drinks all available. I drank iced tea and didn't feel too deprived. One old friend sat next to me to chat and I could smell the beer in his cup very strongly. Not a pleasant odor, but it did send a pang through my mind and stomach. He commented on me not having a beer. I chickened out and just told him that I had too much to do later to drink.

Good news is that I woke up with a dry pillow and 7 pounds lighter than I did last Monday! I told my wife that I had lost 7 pounds and she said, "Wow, that's great! It must be because your doing things differently."

I haven't told here that I quit drinking. Of course she noticed. Interesting that she can't say it out loud. Maybe she is afraid to jinx things. I have disappointed her so many times before that I'm sure she doesn't want to get her hopes up.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days! Great job!

I too was slow sharing with family, for a variety of reasons, but have since come clean with husband and mom. Going into detail with the kids is something I'm taking time with.

Also did the party thing this weekend. I was happy to be sober and it was easier than I thought. Interesting you mention the smell. I know this is a weakness for me and didn't realize until I read your post that I did mouth breathing around anyone else's drink so I didn't smell it.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a week is great dirk, keep it up.

actions speak louder than words...
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You've lost seven lbs in seven days, that's incredible! I'm on Day 7 too, I've probably gained weight... I don't want to depress myself by checking.

Yep, funny about the smell. I remember at my wedding, our 16-year-old niece was there and she was allowed to have a small flute of champagne if she wanted, but she said she didn't want to. Her reason? 'It's so smelly'. As the only person sober (who was of adult height at least), it must have been really noticeable to her how pungent the smell was.

Really well done on making it through the graduation party - that was a big test. We have the same sobriety date - we're closing in on that first week, aren't we
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a great perspective to have dirk!!

7 days is fantastic, keep pushing through!!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

(((dirk))) and (((snowbunting)))

Congratulations to you both!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 7 here too ... and I'm feeling really good. I haven't put myself into the situation where there is alcohol present, I am not ready for that yet and luckily I can avoid it entirely right now. Good for you for tackling and beating that demon! I'm really proud of you for that! Keep it up, Dirk ... we can do this!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the support! Hokey...we can and will do this!

It's kind of weird, but I don't struggle too much when out. I can go to bars, parties of whatever kind and not drink. If I decide not to drink before I go. It's the day in and day out. Its Sunday evening with time on my hands, the drive home past the grocery that gets me. Its the other triggers too varied to mention. I have all the situational will power in the world...but the daily grind wears me down. I love to sit alone and drink until my head tickles.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week Dirk
You can build on this - things do get easier

D
Old 06-01-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job Dirk - a week is terrific.

I 'got through the day' for a while in the beginning, but things began to feel so much easier and hopeful as time went on. Your new life is just beginning - you're doing great.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Must admit that I had a pretty significant battle with the AV on the way home from picking up takeout for dinner. It's raining and windy; weather is a big trigger for me. Everyone is home safe and sound, so I kept thinking I could grab a little something and go home and watch the rain. I began to justify and argue with myself why it would be ok and what the hell, life is short. I can enjoy a few beers here and there! I actually made a right hand turn down a short street that has a convenience store on it, but as I turned a voice in my head SCREAMED "No"! I made a U-turn and headed home.

I had a nice dinner with the family and will go to bed sober tonight. Day 7 in tact. What a quick flip of mindset... I'm kind of scared. I'm solid for the night, but what about tomorrow?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You WILL make it through tomorrow as well, Dirk. Just keep flipping that switch ... you don't DO that anymore. Hang in there, my friend.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
You WILL make it through tomorrow as well, Dirk. Just keep flipping that switch ... you don't DO that anymore. Hang in there, my friend.
Thanks Hokey.