Notices

Two weeks sober and happy.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks sober and happy.

So I have been lurking here for a few years. Several months ago I decidd to give up alcohol because my drinking was becoming daily and I was getting to black outs. This would result in me fighting with spouse. So I quit for 3 months. I felt pretty good. Then I took a trip with a good friend and had already planned to drink. The drinking was moderated and I continue drinking for about another month infrequently and moderately. I wasn't drinking during the work week only weekends. Then I drank so much one Sunday night I ended up not going to work. The bingeing was beginning. Then a week later I went to an event with free alcohol. Oh boy that was great! I proceeded to probably drink 8 shots, wine and don't remember the last half of the night and driving home. Jesus that scared the hell out of me.

That was it for me. It has been two weeks. I am doing it different this time bc I'm going to meetings and trying to work a program. Hasn't been easy. The first weekend went camping with the family and friends and the other moms went to the five dollar wine tasting. I was tempted, but I played the tape to the end. Wine then beer then whatever was available passing out and hungover at a camp site. Nope not gonna do that! Also I watched the moms come back have some food and not drink anymore. I never ever ever would do that. One mom even left a full beer in her camp chair. Who does that?! No alcoholics of course. Last night I went to a work function karaoke party. Luckily I have a close friend at work who is 5 years sober and knows my issues. I probably wouldn't have gone without him. Surprisingly I sang some songs and danced some and had a great time with no regrets, hangovers, or questions in my head about how I behaved. When I really looked around most people only had a drink or two which will never work for me. All or nothing! So I don't think it will be easy, but I'm grateful to have my Saturday hungover free! Also what also has been helping me is the "Bubble Hour" which is a broadcast for sober women. It's on iTunes and I find it helpful to listen to as I'm driving. Sorry for the long one! Here's to a sober Sunday!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you posted. Two weeks sober is great.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on two weeks. I too am a "progressive" drinker. I would be good for a few weeks or even a few months but eventually I would end up back in black out central. It sounds like you're starting to find sober activities that you enjoy. I think that's very important to find something that makes you happy that would be hindered by alcohol and/or drugs. Thank you for your post and keep posting.

Take care and be well.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober. I'm glad you stopped lurking and started posting.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Marlarae, congrats on two weeks. Glad you've joined us.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations Marlarae

D
Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This forum has really been a godsend.