SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sleep (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333945-sleep.html)

sameer1974 06-01-2014 12:31 PM

Sleep

can anyone tell me how much time it takes for sleep to get normal after quitting alcohol i am already in the 5 th month of sobriety

Kris47 06-01-2014 12:50 PM

Hello Sameer,

It's 5 months for me on the 15th. BTW, CONGRATS! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I sure understand your insomnia though.

Although I'm not in any way certain, I've been told it can take up to a year. the only thing i know for sure is after drinking for such a long time, it mmay be understandable it will take a long time to get back where i started.

My body still must think it is still in an arousable state. I'm going to see an endocrinologist in a few weeks to see if he can ascertian anything.

Good luck to you!

BTW, a good book is Desperately Seeking Snoozin.

I manage to sleep a few hours ( 1-3) every 3rd or 4th night.

Stoogy 06-01-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by sameer1974 (Post 4687804)
can anyone tell me how much time it takes for sleep to get normal after quitting alcohol i am already in the 5 th month of sobriety

Great post, I can totally relate, I'm in my 6th month and my sleeping pattern is still up and down. Example I am often tired around 9pm but when I go to bed I am feeling restless for hours on end! But apart from that im feeling pretty good generally.

MythOfSisyphus 06-01-2014 11:21 PM

It took me quite a while but to be fair I was an erratic sleeper even back before I started drinking. Have you tried melatonin? It's a natural supplement that really helps me get to sleep. Note that it kind of promotes strange dreams/nightmares to a degree.

SereneEdition 06-02-2014 12:07 AM

It can be normal, particularly if you had sleep issues prior. I felt frustrated and a little nervous, which only seemed to make it worse. It does get better.

What have you tried to help yourself get better sleep?

sameer1974 06-02-2014 12:44 PM

i am under psychiatrist treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder and sleep disorder and alcohol but not talking any medicine for alcohol medicine only for obsessive compulsive disorder and sleep i get sleep but i cant get my timing right because i sit till late in the night on my computer so i get up late i need to practice proper sleeping schedule might see the doctor this week so lets see what happens

Mags1 06-02-2014 12:49 PM

Hi sameer, I sleep like a baby, no not crying all night, lol. But I don't and never really have a full night sleep. Between 4-6 hours, I've been sober nearly 11 months.
But the restless sleep does pass to leave just a sober less good sleep.

Worth bring sober for.

sameer1974 06-02-2014 12:51 PM

i think i sleep10hrs or more but cant set my timing right

Mags1 06-02-2014 12:58 PM

It will fall into place, your body will adjust, our body clocks and everything has to adjust when we are sober. Someone said on here that we can't expect our bodies to go back to normal when we've put so much alcohol in it over the years, or words to that effect. They've got a point.

sameer1974 06-02-2014 01:09 PM

mags how will celebrate u r birthday on 20 jul