SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Debated for Centuries (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333935-debated-centuries.html)

lunar 06-01-2014 10:04 AM

Debated for Centuries

Is alcoholism truly a "disease"?
I personally think the term "disease" is used too loosely to define it.
We all know alcoholism can cause diseases, but in itself,
can alcoholism be accurately defined as one?
Instead, I believe it to be a complex form of compulsive behavior or condition; resulting in an addiction.
Opinions?

ScottFromWI 06-01-2014 10:09 AM

My personal opinion is that I cannot control my drinking so abstinence is the only solution. Debating why I am that way doesn't help me stay sober.

Chilledice 06-01-2014 10:13 AM

Some say its a disease and some say its a choice or a matter of the mind! Either way I know I cant touch the stuff lol but I think its a good debate tho :)

PurpleKnight 06-01-2014 10:30 AM

The oxford dictionary definition puts it down as:

A disorder of structure or function in a human . . . A particular quality or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person
I guess it could be argued alcoholism could fit in there somewhere, but as others have also said, I don't focus on the ins and outs of it too much, or even use the label alcoholic that much, all I know is if I don't drink today I'll be improving my life to some degree!! :)

Verte 06-01-2014 10:42 AM

I have not taken enough time to read, talk and consider this question yet - on my list for the future. I do find it interesting that taking certain medications elicit compulsive behaviors. And damage to certain areas of the brain result in greater impulsivity. Just as there are medications that inhibit the above.

:grouphug:

caboblanco 06-01-2014 10:46 AM

absolutely not. This question has been asked many times on this forum. The reason they made addicition a disease in the official medical journals...ama for one....is a

political effort to gain tax payer money for hospital and doctor charges for uninsured or under insured patients. I truly believe regardless of what they say..that no person that

graduated medical school will tell you in all truth that it is a disease. This is happening now with obesity..as that was just classified as a disease in the ama.. Politics....and strategy not science

Stoogy 06-01-2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lunar (Post 4687609)
Instead, I believe it to be a complex form of compulsive behavior or condition; resulting in an addiction.
Opinions?

Good post Lunar, I personally don't think alcohol is the problem, there are millions of people who go about there lives using it responsibly, it is the minority that abuse the substance and subsequently the disease is born within us, but that is why I'm here, I'm in that minority sadly.
Great post Lunar, hope you are doing well.

Tang 06-01-2014 10:49 AM

Assuming it is a disease, it's the only one I can think of that can be cured by simply abstaining from the consumption of something.

Like Scott said, it shouldn't matter from a recovery perspective. We can argue semantics and definitions but I don't think it changes treatment.

EndGameNYC 06-01-2014 11:41 AM

Opinions?

Uh-oh. :herewego

Anna 06-01-2014 12:02 PM

"The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956.

In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections."

The main thing is to remember to focus on recovery and how we can best achieve and maintain it.

SoberLeigh 06-01-2014 12:09 PM

Disease or not, it is a monster.

FeenixxRising 06-01-2014 12:13 PM

Opinions?

I've given up thinking about it. I'll let the experts (and I use that word loosely) decide the issue. For me, I can no longer control my alcohol consumption once I start drinking, so I only have one rational choice, give it up for good.

Jupiters 06-01-2014 12:16 PM

yip - call it what you want, it's a frikken nightmare is all I know.
I am glad though in terms of "employment", you can't be fired for it (at least where I am) and they are required to try and help you. So if it needs to be classified as such for that purpose, than OK.
lol
all I know is - I can never, ever touch that first drink. ever again.

gardendiva 06-01-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tang (Post 4687655)
Assuming it is a disease, it's the only one I can think of that can be cured by simply abstaining from the consumption of something.
t.

What about type 2 diabetes?

Tang 06-01-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by gardendiva (Post 4687788)

Yeah I thought of that but wasn't sure it is curable solely with diet changes?

LBrain 06-01-2014 12:31 PM

rut roe rorge, here we go again...

FeenixxRising 06-02-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by gardendiva (Post 4687788)

It's possible for some people to control to their T-2 Diabetes with diet and exercise, but as I understand the condition it's never really cured. Additionally, many people who do eat properly and exercise regularly still need some medication to control their BG levels.