SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   You are going to have to push me out of the door..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333915-you-going-have-push-me-out-door.html)

GwenCummings 06-01-2014 05:52 AM

You are going to have to push me out of the door.....

Right. I have picked my AA meeting. 5 hours and 40 minutes from now. I am full of resistance. I will easily not go. Too scared. Too much in denial. What if they ignore me? What if they don't ignore me? What if i get kidnapped because it's a cult. Right?
I am supposed to be a grown woman. :wild

Hawkeye13 06-01-2014 05:54 AM

Get your arse out that door woman--

Make yourself a good breakfast this morning to fuel up.

you can buy yourself a nice coffee on the way there if you want.

Nothing changes if nothing changes--a much much better life awaits with sobriety.
I understand it is hard, but you are brave for taking this step.

They will all be nice, I promise.

Sent with love
Hawkeye

biminiblue 06-01-2014 05:55 AM

Ah, self-sabotage. I know it well. When I feel great resistance to a meeting, I know I should go. That is a hard threshold to cross, but nothing bad will happen.

Don't go with expectations. Just go.

edit to say, if you miss this one, there are more tomorrow. :)

Ali2013 06-01-2014 06:02 AM

You have done the leg-work. You picked your meeting. There is no reason not to go ..... except fear. My first time, I drove to the parking lot, Sat there for a bit, and left. Fear. My second time, I actually went in and was glad I did. I won't say I was 100% comfortable, but it made me laugh at my first failed attempt. Go and report back on how it went. Nothing to fear. A meeting at AA is a safe place to be.

Anna 06-01-2014 06:12 AM

Taking action is always a good thing.

Django 06-01-2014 06:14 AM

I actually laughed more at my first few AA meetings last week then when I've been at a pub,figure that one out.

afloatsober 06-01-2014 06:19 AM

Gwen
Just go.
Will probably turn out to be the best thing you do today:)
Mine at 5.30
Whew........

MIRecovery 06-01-2014 06:35 AM

AA'S are the nicest, warmest, most nonjudgmental people you will ever meet. We all have experienced your fear, shame, and desperation. In short we know what it is like to be you.

For the first time in your life you will be surrounded by people who will not judge you they only want to help you. For me AA meetings are the only place I feel truly safe

ScottFromWI 06-01-2014 06:40 AM

You can make a long "what if" list if reasons NOT to go, but most of them are mainly just fear of the unknown.

However, you don't need a "what if" list of what will follow if you return to drinking. You know exactly where that will lead you.

So you are left with a choice...don't go and tempt fate, or take positive action towards sobriety and go.

GwenCummings 06-01-2014 06:54 AM

The tension was too much for me and I fell asleep! Picking a meeting from a list is really odd. No clues there about what would be best. I shall go and I shall report back. There I made a commitment to all of you. X

GwenCummings 06-01-2014 01:39 PM

The ONLY reason I went to the meeting was I couldn't face telling you lot I hadn't been. The meeting was great. I got someone's number and some recommended meetings. They were unbelievably friendly and kind. Also we had cake.

flossyfressia 06-01-2014 01:45 PM

So glad you went :-)

HeadLump 06-01-2014 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by GwenCummings (Post 4687908)
The ONLY reason I went to the meeting was I couldn't face telling you lot I hadn't been. The meeting was great. I got someone's number and some recommended meetings. They were unbelievably friendly and kind. Also we had cake.

That's fabulous, Gwen -and so are you! :c014:

biminiblue 06-01-2014 01:50 PM

Cake. So glad you went. Cake is a big draw in the beginning.

I have an acquaintance who is using Meth. I keep inviting him to go to a meeting, and I keep saying, "We have free cookies and coffee!" I mean, really, how much better does it get?

Spinach 06-01-2014 01:52 PM

When's the next one?
Good luck .
John.

GwenCummings 06-01-2014 01:53 PM

My favourite thing someone said....

In the early days, just listen. No one ever learnt anything by talking.

How true is that?

GwenCummings 06-01-2014 01:55 PM

Good point Spinach. I am off work with anxiety so I have no excuse. I need to keep going.

Tuesday.

Xx

Thank you everyone. :grouphug:

afloatsober 06-01-2014 01:55 PM

Proud of ya.
G:)

EndGameNYC 06-01-2014 02:13 PM

Resistance is holding on to fear. The best, tried and true remedy for fear is action. The more we sit still in our fear, the greater that fear becomes until, eventually, it becomes disabling. Taking action makes future action not only easier, but something we actually look forward to. Taking action is its own reward, regardless of the consequences.

The worst possible thing that can happen in an AA meeting is that you'll learn something that could save your life.