Notices

weight gain

Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I didn't really loose that much when I quit, probably because I started to eat a lot more healthier, as in eating regular meals and drinking plenty of water. Taking time in the evenings to cook something healthy is a new found activity.

I probably was dehydrated and as I skipped a lot of meals when I drank, I inevitably began to consume a lot more calories and fluids than I had for years, breakfast for example was something I never really ate, I now have it more times than not.

But I did after a while shed a few pounds, nothing drastic, I came down into what is my normal BMI range, I was just slightly over it, which I'm now happy with, my weight then didn't drop any further but in general I feel a lot more healthier and hydrated than I have in a long time.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Consider being sober your top priority. You can lose two pounds, it's no big deal. Most people lose weight when not drinking. If before you had weighed yourself after a heavy drinking session, it will just be water weight because your body isn't struggling with dehydration.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's 7am and I am enjoying a cup of green tea. Happy Monday morning to everyone! I am making sobriety my priority. ...then weight loss second.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MandalayVA View Post
It's been said that alcoholism is a thwarted sweet tooth. .
Totally agree with this. I rarely ate sweet food when drinking but when I quit I ate so much of it. Mainly ice cream which I constantly craved. I ate more puddings and cakes too. Whilst I initially lost bloat when I quit drinking I've not really lost any weight,put it on really due to eating sweet food and old age probably

I'm 18 months sober now and could still eat ice cream all day if allowed I really have to make a conscious effort to avoid sweet stuff now and the weight drops off me when I do. On a positive note if I stop eating sweet food for a few days I totally lose any cravings for it.

I have a predisposition to diabetes so need to watch my sugar intake anyway. I also read about alcoholism being predisposed to diabetes/sweet stuff and believe there's a link. I feel bettermphysically and mentally if I eat less sweet stuff which helps but in early sobriety do whatever you need to do to stop drinking,the rest will come in time
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It probably is just water weight. I'm currently in the process of losing the beer weight. My advice from many failed attempts is to take it really... really... really slowly. You pretty much can't lose more than 2 pounds a week without losing significant muscle. I'd just aim for a pound a week like I'm doing. I'm gaining muscle/tone at the same time as well, so although I've only lost like 15 pounds and I need to lose about 25 more, I look/feel tons better.

The time goes faster than you'd think.

I'd also recommend cutting down on carbs, not to atkins levels. But I used to have like bread, pasta, then a rice based meal. So I felt bloated all the time. 100-1500 grams of carbs a day immediately made me lose a bunch of water weight, around 5-10 pounds of it, feel less bloated and have no loss of energy.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

More H20 less CHO

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I am struggling since I stopped drinking. I have to drink senna tea or else I won't be able to visit the toilet for days. That might be the cause of your weight problem
you just reminded me I have to get some of that tea. I find it in oriental markets as "Slim Tea" in a dark green box. it does it for me. 'Nuff said.
oh as much as I hate to admit it, but it's TRUE - they are telling us that diet drinks make you fat. Sigh! I think i drank a swimming pool of that stuff in my lifetime. All these "frakenfoods" what's making us fat. Our bodies can't figure out how to break down some of these molecules that food scientists invent. Yes it's true. And all these little girls with enormous "front assets" that are natural are thanks to BST in milk. Oh sorry about the slight tangent.
Getting WELL (not just being abstinent from alcohol) really takes some determination and planning. But it's worth it NOT getting up in the morning feeling like something the dog dragged around the yard.