Notices

Not sure on my next step?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Kid

Not sure on my next step?

Hey guys, the 4th of this month will mark 6 months of sobriety for me and I really need some life advice. I'm not sure if I'm okay to post this and if not, feel free to let me know and I'll remove it.

I'm young and I studied in University until my second year. I did very well in high school and the first year in Uni. My second year was when my drinking and depression took a turn for the worst so I decided to take a break for a year to get sorted.

It's the end of my year away and I have to decide what to do next. I feel like I'm not read to go back to Uni and I'm not even sure if I want to go back. I feel like it'll be years just showing I have the stomach to read books for three years which isn't what I want. I've already proved I'm academically skilled in high school and the first year of university.

I'm scared of looking for a job because I might end up in something dead-end. After my experiences with depression and drinking I just want to be able to support a family and help my parents with the bills. I know that education will help me break into the higher-paying job market but it won't benefit me as a person. I know I'm good at studying and don't feel like doing 3 years of that will be more beneficial than just working in a company and working my way up the ladder.

I thought it was okay to post here because I feel like after everything I've been through it has completely humbled me as a person. I have a limited time on this earth and I don't want to waste any of it. I know I have the capability to do well in most fields but I don't want to make a wrong decision that'll waste my time!

Any advice would be brilliant. Cheers
Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Stay at uni if you can - you won't get a better opportunity later in life. I left early and I've always regretted it because the better jobs are out of my reach.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I look back on my university days as being one of the most satisfying parts of my life. I think the most important part of being a student is one's attitude. If one approaches it as a job and with a checklist of courses to be endured then it can, indeed, seem like a waste of time. On the other hand, if you look at it as an opportunity to expand the horizons of your knowledge and to develop your intellectual capability it can be the experience of a lifetime. Higher education can be so much more than simply training for a high-paying job; it can also give you appreciation for music, art and literature as well as giving you a footing in the world of ideas. I guess what I'm getting at here is that I think you should return to your studies.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ElijahNoahColt View Post
I know that education will help me break into the higher-paying job market but it won't benefit me as a person.
Yes, it will, it absolutely, definitely will.

Stay in school and finish your education.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay.
For the following reasons

1. Your parents will be proud you are there. Have you told them this? Do they know? To drop out and get any job when you are capable of more 'to support them' will not make them happy. I am a parent too.

2. You can support your parents and family better, the better you plan your future and achieve your goals. What career do you want? Is there a graduate scheme you could aim for when you have graduated that will get you a killer career? Or a company that you so want to work for that you will make them sit up and want you on their pay role?

3. There is more to Uni than reading books for a year you know! Get involved with something that you can 'wow' potential employers with. When I was at university I volunteered for the night time 'listening service'. It was answering the phone to anonymous students in distress and simply listening and understanding and being there. Could be president of a group? Or volunteer elsewhere too? Looks good on your CV, makes you feel good too.
You could get a weekend job while you are at University if you feel so strongly about earning some cash.

4. If you can get sober at your age, for 6 months then I think you could be capable of really great things. Being stuck in a dead end job is not to expose you to people or situations where great things are involved. Think about it.

I wish you the best x
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Kid

Hey guys, thanks for replying.

I'm still quite disappointed with my grades at the second year so if I did go back I'd like to resit that year and do better. Also, I'm still dealing with a lot of social anxiety so I'd ideally like to postpone it another year and find a job while I get over the anxiety.

I'll speak to my head of school and see what my options are. I'm not sure if I can postpone another year or even resit the second year but it is worth asking about. Thanks for all of the advice, I only have people my age to talk to so it's nice to get some wiser words on the matter.

I'll let you guys know what reply I get.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was not getting my Bachelors Degree. It has been a career killer for years and the situation only gets worse. Right or wrong the business world wants a degree
Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I'm 6 classes shy of my BA and now that I'm sober, trying to find time to finish. I would stay, finish.. It shows employers you follow through.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Kid

Okay guys, again thanks for the replies I really do appreciate the advice.

I've emailed my tutor just wondering about how to resit my second year. I'm really scared about going back but I do feel like it's the right thing to do. If everything goes well I'll have three months until I start again so I think that'll be a decent amount of time to get a bit better with my social anxiety and hopefully I'll be in therapy by then.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Kid

Just an update, since it's a Sunday I've been told to ring his office in the morning. Which I'm going to do tomorrow

I asked this community because I couldn't think of anyone more supportive, thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing! Good luck!