Newbie Roll Call

Old 07-14-2004, 02:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

quitting coffee?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Kit
If you see someone you know at a meeting, guess what, they are there for the same reasons you are!

Some of the most understanding supportive people I have ever had the good fortune of meeting I've met at an AA meeting!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I drank coffee all my life...even as a child. mmmmm...always had anixty too and nerivousness and sleeping dif. Sounds like you are on to something.. maybe better sleep and more relaxation..I heard mediation helps w/focusing..congrats by the way on you time clean..later randa
Old 07-14-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Mooty, it really is scary. It was beginning to look like a choice between ordering one of your very stylish jackets or quitting coffee. While the straps have a certain appeal, the jackets just don't seem that practical.

Randa, about meditation. I currently do something like meditation with my morning readings and prayer, and on a very good day I can get about 10 minutes of just breathing in. It's a start and enough to open the mind a little bit, but hardly enough to counter coffee.

About seeing people you know at meetings, I've had that experience. I've run into three people from a rather bottomy part of my past in AA meetings and an ex neighbor at an Alanon meeting. The Alanon encounter was the first, and it was awkward not because of any fear of an anonymity breach but because we knew so much about each other and our situations and could easily take each others inventory, and because of some mutual resentment between this person and my partner. Anyway, I just kept going - and only the first encounter was at all awkward.

James
Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
sam082602

just checking in with 688 days of clean & sober time!!

Old 07-14-2004, 03:13 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Mooty, it really is scary. It was beginning to look like a choice between ordering one of your very stylish jackets or quitting coffee. While the straps have a certain appeal, the jackets just don't seem that practical.
LOLOLOL Makes driving tough too.

You do have a point tho re quitting...... I have limited myself to decaf at meetings and seem to be getting better sleep. Trying not to drink any after about 5 pm (loox at coffee cup and at clock which says 6:14...... ooops).
Old 07-14-2004, 05:34 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
knucklehead

i am a newbie too still working my way through the rubble. what a mess i did this to me. went and got myself addicted to alcohol. i got addicted cause i kept making a free choice to drink. i have known for a long time that once i begin to drink i will naturally abuse the stuff and get way drunk. i have been well aware of this fact for many years.

if i take that first drink 9 out of 10 times i will drink abusivly. if i listen to that little voice the one that will tell me any thing for me to take that first drink or two nothing will change i will be drunk and once again waking up the next day to complete disorder i will have made of my life and on top of all that i will have a bad hang over. who knows i could be in that repeat rut for who knows how long. not today today i am a newbie and i am going to remain abstainant. whats not to like. that little voice in my head for one. i digress
Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

kckman...... one day is all we have.

Tell that little voice in your head to off. I call mine my 'itty bitty sh*tty comittee" and repeatedly tell it to take a hike.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey Team,

Hope all of you are doing well. I have had a busy week at work, but am ending my 12th day sober, here I come 13. I thought alot about what Tom said re: f2f meetings. I had contacted the local number and got a schedule. I was not able to go tonight due to work but plan to attend my first AA meeting monday night.

Friday is my birthday, (the big 40, starting to feel old) and will be going to Atl to see my mom and family for the weekend. Will be nice not to have to sneak drink for once.

Ya'll stay strong and keep working at it, one hour at a time. Will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Triegger
Old 07-14-2004, 07:55 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
knucklehead

trieger, great and 12 days sober happy 40th on friday.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:17 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Alive

3 days for me at 2am this morning!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:30 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi there...I,m new at this stuff but am 4 yrs sober. Actually looking for some help for my fiancee' who is addicted to crank. That is also what I used to be addicted to. Let me tell you...being sober is fantastic. It took alot of work to get here but it was all worth it. The biggest issue for me was taking a hard look at what I had done to the people I cared about and that cared about me. But, all of that is over now...I'm continuing my sobriety with hope and happiness. I wish you all a successful recovery.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Triegger............go for it!!! Happy Birthday a bit early!

40, huh? Well, I waited until I was 45 to get sober, so you have me beat.

Hey, you could go to a meeting in Atlanta, incognito....... :outtahere to AA!

Keep us posted..............Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Twohitchic, welcome!!!

Nice to meet you, hope you stick around. Some good sobriety you have there, congrats!

Wonderful people here, great support, for you, and the b/f.

Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 10:51 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Treg, happy coming birthday girl! what a gift to not have to sneak a drink.. your issue with meetings is making me..face mine..as I have not gone yet. Just too easy to put off..I feel that I will be needing to go and get a spnor and work the steps because the people w/ long recovery have done this. What do I know? I know that I have tried (not successfully done)...recovery many times bef and never quite..completed my progm when it came to spnr - steps..work and I always relasped.. this time I plan on doing..it as suggested and seen by others w/ alot of recovery..
twohith, welcome..I'm a newbie w/ 15 days..thanks to SR..It is so very hard to start this...but now I only try 1 day at a time.. ran
Old 07-15-2004, 04:38 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Paused

I am grateful to have 11 days sober today.

:tri

Talia
Old 07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
knucklehead

that little voice in my head really gets on my last nerve sometimes. take hike little monkey of mine and dont forget to f!!k off. it is that time of the day. thanks for the new tool mootpoint. breathing
today i am not going to drink! i never drink now.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Eight days. Yippee!

Getting back to obsessing about going to a meeting: Actually, I'd RATHER see someone I know there; then I'd have a connection. I am paralysingly (if that's a word - if it's not, it should be) shy. If I don't have a connection, even if I went, i'd find a way not to go back.

I'm not trying to justify not going, as I really want to; I'm just being realistic.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Team,

Just a check in before bed. Day 13 is over and still sober. Going to Atl tomorro to see my family. You guys stay strong and I will as well.

Keepin you all in my thoughts and prayers,

Triegger

ps. Needtogrowup, thanks for the bday wishes but just to clarify, Triegger = boy not girl I have enough problems without being gender confused, lol.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I knw that, my brain just doest function too well yet. well I went to my first f2f womens meeting tonight. It was great. I shared at the end and got everyones phone numbers..well go again and got a list of meetings to go too..My recovery is my first prority..and this time I am looking for a sponsor asp..felt welcome at the meeting as at the end spk w/ several ladies..who introdu. themselfs..welcome to those above with only a few days and the gal w/almost a yr. etc..too late to jost down the names. One day I will be able to be more concise and respn to each post in a logical way, but for now..I'll just say congrates team...We have a great support group here and as i have always said w/o SR...I wouldn't have the 15 days I now have on july 15th. bye for now..all randa