Notices

Newbie Roll Call

Old 07-13-2004, 11:54 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Triegger, w/o reading back, have you ever been to any face to face AA meetings?

Tom
Old 07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Tom,

I have not been to any f2f meetings, just the one I have attended here online. Originally, I had intended to see if I could do this on my own and thats how I found this board. I am working on 11 sober days and as I am in for the evening feel pretty confident I will see 12 sober.

However, as I read learn more and more I realize that there appears to be a different type catharsis from f2f support and sharing. In light of that, I have contacted the local number for AA and have a schedule of meetings. My sobriety is very important to me, and the last thing I will do is jeopardize it by being prideful.

Triegger
Old 07-13-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Triegger, OK good attitude! Can only say for me, my ego and pride had to checked at the door.

If I had tried to stay sober with sr only, I never would have made it this far. Never! While sr is a great place, most would probably back me up, this is not enough. Working with a sponsor, and working the steps are a must, at least for me!

I have seen so many people try it online only, and have gone back out, over and over again.

My two cents...........hope to hear from you about your experience with f2f meetings!

Tom
Old 07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

About those f2f meetings: Everything I read (and I've done alot of it trying to rationalize my drinking) says that attendance at meetings is an accurate predicter of success, that is, folks who go have a higher chance of success, while those who don't have a greater likelihood of returning to their substance of choice. If I know this is a fact, why is it impossible for me to go to a meeting? I've gotten as far as calling for the book of meetings all over Massachusetts; I've even highlighted a couple. But I haven't gone so far as to drive to one, sit in the car, and leave without going in. (I'm sure that's what will happen the first time I go, and I think even that effort deserves recognition.) What did some of you tell yourselves to get yourselves in through the front door that first time?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

If you tell yourself you won't get out of your car, chances are you won't.

I walked into the rooms of AA with no problem, as I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had been smoking pot and drinking for almost 30 yrs. My time was up!

One note: alcoholics tend to be smart people...........don't be too smart for your own good...........

Oh, and why are you afraid to go in? You will find some wonderful people there. They understand. They listen. Can't get much better.......

Tom
Old 07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Triegger and A-Z, I am kinda of late on this thread. I have acquired 8.5 weeks of zero alcohol. YAWHOYESSSSSS! I dont go to AA. SR combined with rational recovery has been working great for me. I still have very strong cravings but I believe I would be going through them regardless of AA attendence. Everyday of abstance for me is everything in the world for me now. I know I am always going to have to abstain from alcohol or else I will be consumed by my drug of choice. I know the temptation. I am always going to have a choice to make. Thanks again to the people who brought me SR.
live free die free, peace
Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey Team,

Just checking in before I head to bed. Day 11 over and still sober, looking forward to doing 12 with you all tomorrow.

Hope everyone is making it ok, one hour at a time. As always know you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

See you tomorrow,

Triegger
Old 07-14-2004, 07:02 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi, Triegger,
Right behind you, Day 10 over and starting day 11 today! Will be attending a F2F tongiht, can't wait to share with them!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:29 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by twoboys
What did some of you tell yourselves to get yourselves in through the front door that first time?
I phoned the AA, and the guy said he would meet me outside the meeting about half an hour before. He did, we had a chat, then he took me in.

Nice guy, I will probably ask him to be my sponsor.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Triegger,

Talia here, 10 days sober, and greatful to be that. I agree with Tom 100%. I need AA first and foremost. SR is a great tool, but not a replacement for f2f meetings. It's a wnoderful sidebar though. I tried to get sober by myself and did, several times. You get what I'm saying? Not to successful at it. Like JC, arrangments were made through phone calls, to meet with a member. To those who are intimidated by walking in to that first meeting, just suck it up and do it. We all do things in life we don't want to, but have to. Work, family, whatever. Think about it. This is for you. To rid yourself of the heavy burden you've been packing around for so long. I know for me, it was a great relief to leave the burden at the door. Again, speaking for myself, the meetings have been uplifting. They are full of wonderful caring people. People dealing with the same issues. Be the first to break the ice, if possible. Just hang around the coffee pot, there's always someone standing around there. Just say hello.

Good Luck,

Talia
Old 07-14-2004, 09:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you who have posted about getting into that first meeting. I agree that giving myself permission to be afraid to go inside is what's keeping me outside in the first place. I'm going to look at the schedule, find a local, accessible one, and just go! ...humble tasks, right?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Twoboys, ask yourself..........What would you do, if you were not afraid?

Learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.............it's YOUR life.

Just do it!

Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Seeking Serenity

It's been almost two years since I visited rehab for three months. I should have that much sobriety. Instead I am beginning again today for probably the 8th or so time. Having difficulty with anger, resentments and no sponser. Possibly had I found this site last night I wouldn't have let the devil in again. I've enjoyed reading the threads, look forward to chatting with you all. Congrats on your achievment. Keep coming back
Old 07-14-2004, 09:58 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I'm so glad to see ppl coming back. Relapse sucks. But everyone is coming back and doing well. I relapsed with pills 9 months ago or I would have 1 yr and 4 months.

Going to my first AA meeting was a relief. I realized that I was an addict/alkie and that I wasn't alone! So I had no problems coming back.

I haven't kept a close enough eye on this thread so I haven't seen how everyone is doing, assuming I could remember everybody's names and times (lost a few brain cells I did). Good thread, Triegger!

Congrats on day 1, amenuez.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Dan

119 days. Roughest stretch yet, the last week or so.
Emotionaly drained, but I'm smiling again.
And I'm still sober.
Therefore, what didn't kill me made me stronger.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:02 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

hi everyone, day 14..not much to say...reading posts..thurs theres a womens meeting near me..in the evening..hoping to be able to get there. love all randa
Old 07-14-2004, 02:07 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey Randa! Good to see you around.

6 months plus 3 days here - and 4 days off caffeine. I'm getting a hint of what a real withdrawal is like from this latest change. It hasn't been altogether pretty, but mostly I'm just tired now.

James, trying to stay awake at work.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

good to hear frm ya James. Did you get the caffeine headache? Hung in there guy. thanks for the advise on what to say at na,aa, or alanon meetings..I realize that f2f is neccessary to maintane recovery..Just need to figure out how to get there..read here that calling can get you someone to meet ya. I need $ or bus fare or a ride, but I am seriously working on this next step..feeling little aches from sitting at a chair w/o back supt while I read and post...Thank god for advil..This time I am going to get a Sponsor and seriously work the steps as I never really did as was suggested before and always relasped.. Trying to be patient with being Sober and clean..Everyone's posts are still feeding my soul...and giving me hope and strength...love ya all randa
Old 07-14-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtogrowup
Did you get the caffeine headache
Well, yeah, I got the headache. And the stomach ache. And the little everywhere aches. And two days of the feel like c**p and don't wanna do anything state. And now for the past two days I just want to sleep.

I slept better last night than I have in months (like maybe since I quit grass and alcohol?) and woke up feeling clean and grateful. That lasted until the time when I would have finished my first cup of coffee, when the undercurrent of resentment returned.

I think it's worth it, even after just 4 days. I ran into my sponsor last night while I was walking Mr. Snuggles (our golden retriever love hound, more formally known as Forrest) and she said I looked more relaxed (or maybe less tense and angry?). It hasn't really fixed the focus problems at work, but it certainly hasn't made them worse.

Later,
James
Old 07-14-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Kit

Hey Twoboys, maybe it is the part of the world we live in. I've had the big book since January AND a friend willing to go with me, but for some reason, I just can't do it. I'm a teacher and am afraid of someone seeing me. I know that is wrong, but it is the way I feel. I hope to make to to a meeting. I think reading these postings will give me the push I need.