Notices

First day sober, again

Old 06-01-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day sober, again

I am trying to achieve sobriety for the umpteenth time. I've had social anxiety since I was 6, so 26 years now. For the last few months alcohol has made my anxiety levels go through the roof and I now have GAD too. 99% of my bad GAD days are hangover days. The drinking is no longer worth the short term relief and the feelings that lead me to drink are preferable to how I feel after a binge. I've never had friends and was raised by a mother with her own severe anxiety disorder and addiction to candy. My father is a relapsed alcoholic. I don't have anybody to talk to that knows about alcoholism/recovery. I think if I made an online friend, I might make good on my desire to stop drinking and stop living without all BS it adds to my life and mindset. I'm not looking to take up a lot of your time, just messages when you or I feel like we are going to slip. I'm not into phoning or Skype, I think they would be triggering for me.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Ceedaily View Post
I am trying to achieve sobriety for the umpteenth time. I've had social anxiety since I was 6, so 26 years now. For the last few months alcohol has made my anxiety levels go through the roof and I now have GAD too. 99% of my bad GAD days are hangover days. The drinking is no longer worth the short term relief and the feelings that lead me to drink are preferable to how I feel after a binge. I've never had friends and was raised by a mother with her own severe anxiety disorder and addiction to candy. My father is a relapsed alcoholic. I don't have anybody to talk to that knows about alcoholism/recovery. I think if I made an online friend, I might make good on my desire to stop drinking and stop living without all BS it adds to my life and mindset. I'm not looking to take up a lot of your time, just messages when you or I feel like we are going to slip. I'm not into phoning or Skype, I think they would be triggering for me.

Welcome Aboard.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Ceedaily!!
You have come to the right place.
I'm 26 too, and i'm currently 66 days sober. Neither I have friends to talk about recovery.
I know early recovery can be tough, so anytime you feel low or thinking about relapse, PM me and i'll do my best to help you!

Stay strong, and congratulations for your decision!!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from the UK, Ceedaily You've just made thousands of new friends - and not just friends but people who've been where you are and really understand. That's a great step forward
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us Ceedaily. This place saved me.

I had no one to talk to about my alcoholism either. That's why finding SR meant the world to me - I could finally talk openly about my struggle. People here understand what you're going through and want to help. You can do this.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is an amazing place - there is always someone here to help.

You can do this!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for support! I am hungover today and seem to be able to stay sober for a week, before having a drink that I don't know why I wanted in the first place. I live with my mother who has depression and doesn't leave her bedroom everyday. I feel like I'm going crazy. Alcohol is the prison that's worse, though.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome! You came to the right place!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also wanted to say I feel better knowing this forum has helped other people.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Ceedaily. I'm new here also, and so far have found it very supportive, both the forums and the chat meeting. I, too, have horrible social anxiety (odd, given my line of work), and few friends here where I live. I think you will find a lot of people who you will be able to relate to you. I'm always happy to converse via PM, also, if you need a boost.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ceedaily, to the Forum. Amazing people will give you support, encouragement, understanding and, yes, friendship.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! You definitely came to an amazing place. Im also 32 and recently came across Sober Recovery. It has helped me tremendously! I have 80 days now and am still going strong. Together we can all do this! Good luck and remember to take it one day at a time! I cant fathom not drinking the rest of my life, but not drinking today is a breeze!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just got done spending in hour in the chat room and it is great too. It being my first day, so still hungover and too queasy again, but I look forward to getting to know people and getting/giving support. Thanks especially to those who said I can PM them. My mental state is bettering thanks to the forum and chat.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ceedaily

you can post as much or as little as you like. I really find SR useful tho.
check out the Class of June support thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ne-2014-a.html

D