Notices

Thinking about quitting, quitting

Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about quitting, quitting

I've had 13 relapses in 5 months, been sober around 60 percent of the time, but so dejected. I've drank again last night ( a ton) and I don't even know why! I guess I drink to drink, lonely and feel defeated.

This habit has created many a health problem for this otherwise healthy 33 year-old. I've been told stop by doctors that I am really creating true health problems, but I can't. I mean life without alcohol is scary, life with it is scary. What does one do? I am a bit off right now because of the hangover, but reconciling how I feel is hard.

Some advice? Words of encouragement, has any one else relapsed that many time before actually quitting?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I relapsed for a year, I made the decision to quit, but it took a year to make it happen, it all comes down to changing your lifestyle.

Simply taking alcohol out of your lifestyle, that won't work, that only equals sitting around with too much time on your hands, and guess what, thinking about drinking, that's only going to end one way.

You gotta carve out a new Sober pattern of life, new activities, new things to do with your time, don't go to the places you drank or hang out with the people you drank with, it needs to be that big of a change to make it happen.

You can do this!!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This habit has created many a health problem for this otherwise healthy 33 year-old. I've been told stop by doctors that I am really creating true health problems, but I can't. I mean life without alcohol is scary, life with it is scary.
You CAN do this. Many of us have and we aren't any more special than you. Yes, it is hard and yes, it is scary, but, like PK said, you have to be willing to change your lifestyle. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes. Think outside the box that you have been living in. Different places, different people. Seek out sober people. There are millions of us out here.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I had a dime for every relapse...

You're not alone.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You most definitely can do this! Purleknight makes a great point about changing lifestyles.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did. Lost track of how many. I let things reach the point where it was quit or die. We don't want it to come to that for you. Never, ever give up.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been struggling massively with trying to stay sober. I have had many slips and relapses. For me, quitting by myself just won't work. I've tried it many times and it never lasted long. I am seeking help now here and elsewhere in real life. I am hopeful but still know its going to be hard.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes, I have wanted to quit for about the last 5 years or so... it scares me how hard I find it to quit drinking and the fact that I have had so many failed attempts convinces me further that I have a PROBLEM! Use your past experiences to help you make the better choice today. I think that is all we can do?