Notices

Caution!!!!!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Chicagoan - been there! I was prescribed Zoloft in January for PTSD and a mild benzo. I traveled to CO and I left both of these at home-hardly took the benzo in the months before, FYI

Anyway - I was hospitalized in April with your EXACT same symptoms and a couple more. It was awful!!!

Wow!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience Chicagoan. It shows how vital it is to take meds as directed.

If anyone wants to discontinue a medication please see your Dr first.

I rely on several meds to maintain a decent quality of life.

I take them as directed, I see my Dr if I have any concerns or problems....I've had no problems thus far

D
Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been on sertraline for years and will likely always take it. It makes my depression bearable and that's all I want.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Any mood stabilizing prescriptions are things you need a Dr's helping hand with always when getting off of or adjusting no matter how long you've been on them. I had a truly bad experience with one after only taking it for 2 weeks years ago and stopping suddenly (Panic attacks, hallucinations, days without sleeping) Lately I've been prescribed something new to help with anxiety and depression. I feel like I've lucked out with my Dr. as he's well aware of my history and stubbornness, so I have someone I can call anytime if I feel off.

I'm glad you saw your Dr. and I hope you feel tip top soon
Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Determined

Great thread, the exact same things happened to me with Buspar about 15 years ago. It is human nature to want to end our medications abruptly when we start feeling better; clearly horrible idea, thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I started on Paxil (an SSRI anti-depressant like Zoloft) in 1995. Like many people, I wasn't eager to start a new medication (at the time I took no medications); however, the Paxil turned out to be just what I needed.

Early on, I decided I didn't want to take it long term, so I stopped. The only issue I had was some mild brain zaps; intermittent, mild muscle twitching and slight disorientation. These symptoms all disappeared after a few days. After realizing I felt much better taking the medication, I went back on it. A year or so ago I switched to Lexapro, and I'm equally happy with that medication. I've now been using an SSRI anti-depressant for 19 years and I've not had any major issues. I'm sure I will take them for the rest of my life, as they have improved my well-being and quality of life greatly.

However, this class of drug should always be started and stopped under the supervision of your doctor. Everyone reacts differently, so it's best to make sure you're being cautious and fully informed.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've taken zoloft for years - probably around 12 or 13 years. This spring I felt it wasn't working. My doctor said for some people, our brain receptors change making the med less effective , so it was possible this was happening. I tapered under my doctor's supervision and have begun a different antidepressant.

I have no problem taking meds, as long as I discuss with my doctor and take as prescribed.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everybody for your
posts and your concern.

I took a 100mg and it took a while,
but I feel a little better. I realize that
I really need this medicine to function.

In my area it is pretty expensive,
I wonder where I can get it cheaper.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I took Zoloft in the mid nineties. I suffered horrible audio hallucinations and fits of paranoia. That drug did not work for me. Yuck!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
In my area it is pretty expensive,
I wonder where I can get it cheaper.
Are you using the generic for Zoloft; it's called sertraline? I don't know your health insurance situation, but if you're insurance isn't covering all or most of the cost, I suggest checking Target or Walmart for the generic cost. Both have a number of generics that are ~ $10 for a 90 day supply. Although, I don't know if they offer sertraline. Even if you don't see sertraline on the $4 & $10 generics list, I still suggest checking with their respective pharmacies, as you may ind the cost significantly less than your insurance out-of-pocket cost.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Alcohol (and the reasons we self-medicate with alchohol) can also be linked to an imbalance in the gastro-intestinal tract (the second brain). So it is worth considering working with a natropath or chinese medicine doctor to get you gut back in balance which will help your brain. There are also options on Facebook of groups that offer safe titration methods off of drugs. Sorry, but doctors and pharmacists do NOT have all the answers when it comes to getting people safely off drugs. They can get you on them, but safely off is a different story. Some people need a rediculously slow titration process, way beyond what is tought in medical school. There is nothing wrong with someone NOT wanting to be on western medication to manage mental health symptoms. Rebalancing the body in a holistic way with whole foods, stress reduction and probiotics can be an answer for some. Big pharma has us convinced that the only way out is with pills. Of course of course some people will need drugs for the rest of their lives. But for those that don't want to go this route, other options are available!!! The body is out of balance when one has anxiety, depression, mania or OCD. A LOT of this originates in the gut, and most of us have gut disbyosis (imbalance of gut bacteria) due to lifelong exposure to antibiotics, alchohol and prescription drug use, including chemical birth control and NSAIDS.