Notices

looking for perceptions

Old 05-31-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for perceptions

When we say our groups primary purpose is to help the still suffering alcoholicc.Are we saying just the newcomber or wet drunk that needs or wants this deal. Or can it also refer to one with yrs of sobriety who may b having troubles however temp living sober. An when we say suffering .whats your idea of defining that.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess it depends on which group you are referring to. In AA we read "our primary purpose is to stay sober and help others suffering from alcoholism to achieve sobriety." So it encompasses everyone along the continuum of sobriety from newcomer to old timer. I know that I need help when my thinking goes off balance and I can go to the group for ideas and support.

As for "suffering" that also takes on different meanings. Suffering could mean the withdrawal, cravings, etc. but it can also mean the suffering of unordered thoughts, the unchecked mental turmoil that causes a lot of people to drink instead of endure the pain.

I have six months now and don't have the physical suffering but I still am suffering with the thoughts all over the place sometimes, feeling pressure and depression at times. I listen to what others with more experience have to say about that and it helps.

That is my take on it.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ruby2 is bang on I think. Only ones that I don't help are the ones that refuse to admit to themselves that something is wrong with their drinking. Not necessarily the full admission of Alcoholism.

For example, my front neighbor was a drinking buddy. He takes around 50 different pills in the morning from blood pressure medicine to everything probably relating to his body abuse.

Yet her persists on saying he doesn't have an Alcohol problem. Even if he needs 12 beers in the morning just to pick up his mail.

I have compassion for him but I cannot waste time trying to help him more than calling 911 when he eventually pops an artery on his front yard.

Sorry if this is blunt, but it sometimes makes me sad and somewhat frustrated to see him killing himself slowly.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If we're talking SR, then everyone is welcome, I haven't drank for 6 months, but that hasn't in some way cured or fixed me, if I had a drink today I'd be back to square one, so whether someone has quit drinking today or had a lengthy time Sober, both equally need a certain level of support, we're all just 1 drink away from throwing it all away, and so we're all living 1 day at a time, my next 24hrs is the same as someone on Day 1, we both have 24 hours, no more, no less to deal with today.

The term "suffering" I guess fits in with that, as mentioned we're all dealing and at times need support to make it through the next 24hrs, whether that's provided here within SR or through other groups.