Notices

Day 2 addiction free

Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 addiction free

I am a recovering alcoholic with ten years of sobriety thanks to God and AA. However, I'm also a gambling addict on the verge of losing my family if I don't apply the program to my gambling addiction. I have dug myself deep into debt and been unable to function as a productive partner, son, and friend for many years. I've finally hit rock bottom and am trying to choose family over my addiction. It's only day 2 for me on this new journey so any support is appreciated. I've tried quitting many times in the past, only to relapse and dig myself further in debt but this time the consequences of relapse are too great for me to relapse again. Thanks for anyone reading this. I love everyone in this community.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Great support here, nwtx81!

Welcome to posting

Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, LTV. I'm very glad to have found this place.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey nwtx, Sounds like your family gave you an ultimatum. Mine did too, although my addiction is booze and not gambling. At the end of the day, our future with our families depends on our decision to quit. For me, it was an easy decision. I needed to quit regardless, and the thought of loosing my family due to alcohol was unbearable. You are in the same boat. If you love your family, quit. No excuses.

I think many people relapse because they have that option. For you and me, that option is not available. Spend your extra time developing a plan to get out of debt. Your family will appreciate your effort and it will help rebuild their trust in your character.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice breadfin. You are correct that I'm facing an ultimatum too. I'm thinking very clearly right now. I know temptations will return soon but you are right. No excuses. One day at a time. I can't fix this overnight. It'll be just as hard as when I kicked my drinking habit after hitting rock bottom. Maybe harder since gambling was really just a way to switch from one addiction to another. Trying to live vice free for the first time in my life. I'm being honest with my family and my sponsor and just that has been a huge relief. But i know it will get harder for a long time before it gets easier.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only a couple weeks into my sobriety, so I can't base this on much experience, but I think you will find quitting to be a bit easier than you think since you recognize the consequences of failure.

Stay strong.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great Job on Day 2!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks purple knight!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nwtx81 View Post
I am a recovering alcoholic with ten years of sobriety thanks to God and AA. However, I'm also a gambling addict on the verge of losing my family if I don't apply the program to my gambling addiction. I have dug myself deep into debt and been unable to function as a productive partner, son, and friend for many years. I've finally hit rock bottom and am trying to choose family over my addiction. It's only day 2 for me on this new journey so any support is appreciated. I've tried quitting many times in the past, only to relapse and dig myself further in debt but this time the consequences of relapse are too great for me to relapse again. Thanks for anyone reading this. I love everyone in this community.
You conquered one addiction it's time for round 2!
It can be done, and you will be able to do it!

I've been alcohol free for a little over 2 months. I will come on here in 10 years (like yourself ) and say I am still alcohol free
Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support airwick. It will be a difficult journey for both of us but with the support of others and the willingness to let something greater than us handle the things we can't control on our own, I believe that both of us have the best years of our lives ahead of us. Life is awesome if we let ourselves live it. Best of luck with your recovery and stay strong, my friend. The worst is behind you at 2 months.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope, strength and bright blessings to you. I am sober today but it ain't been long so I understand your fear. My father is a gambler so I understand that devastation a little as well. He lost pretty much everything over it.

Just wanted to say "hey".....glad you are here.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, nuudawn! One day at a time