Notices

Help

Old 07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I have been through Detox once before and I have had a relapse, I cannot afford to take time off work and I do not have insurance but I am trying to detox myself but am not haveing much success. My last drink was about 37 hours ago. My mind is ok but my body is acheing and I cant stop thinking that if I had just one drink the pain would go away. Can anyone give me any ideas on how they delt with the first several days?

Thanks
Speedy
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

i'm no doctor, but start taking vitamins, and see if you can get to an emergency room or your family doctor, ask them for a B-12 shot, tell them whats going on.

keep candy handy, your body is also craving sugar right now. good luck and keep coming back. have youbeen to a meeting yet? have a sponsor?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have been to several meetings, I am reading 12 steps and 12 traditions right now. I am just fighting my mind telling me the easy way out is to just have a drink and it will go away. I appreciate you reply, its hard when there is noone around to talk to and your mind starts to take over!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey Speedy,
Welcome to SoberRecovery! Here's a quick link about alcohol withdrawal.
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
You're already well over 24 hours and should start feeling some relief soon. And I know that thought so well, the one that says a drink would ease the symptoms. Problem was for me that it never was only one. I repeated the cycle.
Keep busy, call a friend, go for a walk, catch a movie.
Eat, drink juices. For me, the worst thing was to stay alone.
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Speedy
its hard when there is noone around to talk to and your mind starts to take over!
Yep! Bingo! Our best thinking got us there in the first place no? I'm glad you're doing meetings and reading the 12X12. But I suggest that for the next 24-36 hours, you be active. Nothing works like a tired body to be able to turn the mind off, you know. You can absolutely do this.