Notices

Did you ever really want to moderate?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good post Mirage! Lately I have been wondering why us humans drink/drank in the first place. How many people do you honestly know that have a few drinks just for the taste? I think most everyone that drinks likes the effect even if it's just a small buzz or a feeling of release. I always hated when we went out for dinner, a few drinks, then a movie. This would mean an interruption from my buzz or from me getting drunk. I would never be able to moderate my drinking...ever.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Never have tried to moderate. Not interested in moderating. Didn't even know what moderation was the first time I drank - and was drunk the first time too. I was almost 21. No 2-3 drinks for a few years for me, - downing straight vodka within a month.

I used to be jealous of 'normal' drinkers - but the more time goes on I wonder what the point of 1 or 2 is for even 'normal' drinkers. Really? What's the point of a 1-2 hour relaxation period? I don't judge them though.

Oh well. It is and always will be ALL or nothing for me. I'm still working on the NOTHING part.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erikj View Post
How many people do you honestly know that have a few drinks just for the taste? I think most everyone that drinks likes the effect even if it's just a small buzz or a feeling of release.
I didn't drink regularly until I was around 32. Before then, 1 on Christmas day. And very occasionally, a Midori and lemonade when out...for the taste....in fact, I drank even that slowly because I hated the buzz. Hated it.

My story is a little different on how I became an alcoholic, so I have very clear memories of what a normal life without alcohol looks like and how I approached drinking. It really didn't hold any appeal.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sure, I wanted to moderate..but my idea of moderation was getting drunk less often. Ahhh...if only I could moderate my drunkenness so that it only happened once or twice a week. lol THAT'S some healthy thinking right there. ~shaking head~
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I honestly think that if you have to consciously consider moderate drinking, you are already incapable if it. People who can drink moderately just do it, the thought would never even cross their mind. Do I ponder it? of course. The difference now is that I accept that it is (and always will be) impossible for me.
I was thinking about this. We weren't always alcoholics and in those days, I think we consciously moderated. For example, "I have to work tomorrow. I have to drive home, etc. it wasn't a big deal. We had reasons to cut it off and we did successfully.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I was thinking about this. We weren't always alcoholics and in those days, I think we consciously moderated. For example, "I have to work tomorrow. I have to drive home, etc. it wasn't a big deal. We had reasons to cut it off and we did successfully.
I was always an alcoholic.

Day I was born.

I tried to avoid it by avoiding and demonizing booze in my earlier years including highschool. I failed. Even my parents instructed me to ease up on my opinions to be more socially accepted by trying drinks.

Addiction sucks.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nope. The idea of moderation scares me because I know I could do it (out of stubbornness and pride) until I... don't want to anymore. And I don't know when I'd cross that threshold but I do know I would. I wasn't out as long as many people but for years I'd only take shots, I claimed nobody's got time to wait for beer or mixed drinks to work. A nice buzz was never the goal. Shoulda been clue #1...
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I drank for the effect, the buzz to feel good. It stopped working. The amount I had to consume would make me sick before I got "THERE".

But I still have to get there, to be happy, so I search for other, natural, ways to feel good and satisfied.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wanted to moderate but I was never good at it
MM
Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I never had any interest in moderation. I was always looking for a "cheat code" to drink all I could while avoiding the negative consequences.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

not really i wanted to get buzzed...and to keep that buzz as long as i could...to get buzzed from 2 drinks was out the window after a week of 24 beers a day
Old 05-30-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No, I just wanted to enjoy drinking like I did at the start, without all the problems. I only ever wanted to have a good time.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Sure, I wanted to moderate..but my idea of moderation was getting drunk less often. Ahhh...if only I could moderate my drunkenness so that it only happened once or twice a week. lol THAT'S some healthy thinking right there. ~shaking head~
What is moderation then..?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
What is moderation then..?
I'm pretty sure moderation is never getting drunk..having maybe 1-3 drinks per sitting
Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I was always an alcoholic.

Day I was born.

I tried to avoid it by avoiding and demonizing booze in my earlier years including highschool. I failed. Even my parents instructed me to ease up on my opinions to be more socially accepted by trying drinks.

Addiction sucks.
I'm looking at addiction in a different way to be honest.Im just recovering from a slight fracture in my leg and I'm able to exercise again,now I've started I can't get enough of it,and now I'm watching what I eat and things have switched to becoming addicted to a healthy lifestyle.

I'm not going to fight with that part of me anymore,it is who I am I'm going to learn to deal with it in a positive way :-)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I'm pretty sure moderation is never getting drunk..having maybe 1-3 drinks per sitting
Interesting stuff,can't say I've done that :-)
Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My problem is tolerance. I need more and more over time to get buzzed. It sucks.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

When I had the barmy notion of moderation before I finally got sober it was always a few weeks of self flagellation before I had suffered enough of the obsession and the feeling of not being fulfilled , yuk.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I thought that i wanted to moderate but i've tried that and it makes me miserable. I've said this a million times already but it's still true...i can either control my drinking or enjoy it. Not both.

What i really wanted was to drink normally. I don't want to have to think about moderation. I want to just stop drinking when most people stop. I want to be able to drink and not obsess over it. I want to drink and have my body and mind connect on the same level and say "that's enough. I don't want anymore." As i am right now, i never drink enough. I'm a bottomless pit when you pour booze into me. I stop when i pass out and i drink again when i wake up.

So, basically, i would have to be a completely different person to be able to drink moderately and without obsession. It's not just a change of mind. It would have to be a total physical change in the way i process alcohol and how it effects me.

What i'm going to concentrate on is becoming a person who no longer drinks, no longer obsesses and is of service to others who need help. I'm going to be the best person i can be, not the best person i wish i could be.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

SURE...I'd love to be like my Mom "88" and Dad "92" they drink EVERY night. Mom somethings 2 glasses of wine, Dad 1...if you give him 2 he may drink 1/2 the glass....Oh I wish....