Notices

Freak show sleep time

Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freak show sleep time

Making the jump NOW. Tapered myself (not recommended) down to 2 light beers last night. I'm pulling the plug and jumping back on the horse.

Tapering on a Friday night not an option as I know myself. Mineral water it will be.

Tonight will be so much fun, sleep paralyses, etc. If you hear a 39 year old men calling for his passed away mom... Daz me!

I call it the freak show sleep
Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haha, Patman, I know that freak show I must be a perv because I often actually enjoy the sleep paralysis experiences - they tend to be really psychedelic for me and it's drug free... I get them every once in a while, especially when stressed.

Take it easy.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh boy! sad to say I enjoy those too.

Hang in there patman. Take it easy through the weekend. Think good thoughts.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this Pat!!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Go Patman!

Freak show sleep...hee, he.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It can be the last freak show sleep Pat. You're on your way to being free again.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Give yourself a restful weekend, Pat!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, can't believe some enjoy sleep paralysis, they scare the crap out of me. Specially when I think I woke up but still freakin dreaming!

Think I'm wearing a dipper tonight! LOL!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

A dipper!!!

What about the alien you swear is in the corner of the room. That's freaky!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a month ago I woke up and couldn't move, I was grunting as loud as I could to wake up my wife who was lying next to me in bed. I wanted her to wake up and help me. I kept trying to nudge and kick her - I felt her body warmth. I was fully present in the room.
She said she doesn't know what I'm talking about. I was sleeping like a baby the whole night. I wasn't yelling (actually trying to yell) or kicking her...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

haha! Patman Oh no... fun indeed. In my last experience with that I thought I was awake and 'someone' was trying to break down my front door. Of course I couldn't move and I thought how strange that my dog is just sleeping peacefully while someone is kicking the door down. She should be going crazy!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I enjoy them only because most of the time when they happen, they come with a very high level of consciousness - so I am fully aware what it is and that my mind is in dreaming mode while body asleep. I trained myself to lucid dream for years and this is a by-product of that, I think, because some of the induction techniques for a lucid dream actually involve falling asleep consciously into the dream state, and that usually goes through at least some of that conscious transition half awake-half asleep.

The thing to do is relax as much as possible, fighting usually just makes it worse. Try to take a meditative approach: focus on relaxation and not worrying about moving. And if you can stay calm, maybe try to "observe" the sensations and hallucinations with your mind (if you get them) like a movie or something. I tend to get a lot of auditory hallucinations, some creepy but sometimes it's like listening to a TV broadcast or I heard extremely beautiful, "otherwordly" music as well - always thought wish I could write it down when I woke up... I also get a lot of the "intruder" illusions. And sometimes really weird tactile illusions, like floating or being on waves.

The best is to not fight to wake up but the opposite, try to relax and fall fully asleep if you can. Most like it'll land in a dream. It may also help to do something relaxing before going to bed, take the time for it.

Also if you really need to shake it off, I think many people find it helpful to first try to move their toes or something like that.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Haennie,

So interesting. I've only ever discussed sleep paralysis with a few other people and only because I forgot about it.

Sleep paralysis started in my teen years - was brought on my physical exertion in cold weather. It became totally predictable and was so particular.

At the time I was told that I would grow out of it, but it continued but with much less frequency.

It does not freak me out any longer...except for the sensation of being watched by an alien. That still is still freaky Beam me up!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I enjoy them only because most of the time when they happen, they come with a very high level of consciousness - so I am fully aware what it is and that my mind is in dreaming mode while body asleep. I trained myself to lucid dream for years and this is a by-product of that, I think, because some of the induction techniques for a lucid dream actually involve falling asleep consciously into the dream state, and that usually goes through at least some of that conscious transition half awake-half asleep.

The thing to do is relax as much as possible, fighting usually just makes it worse. Try to take a meditative approach: focus on relaxation and not worrying about moving. And if you can stay calm, maybe try to "observe" the sensations and hallucinations with your mind (if you get them) like a movie or something. I tend to get a lot of auditory hallucinations, some creepy but sometimes it's like listening to a TV broadcast or I heard extremely beautiful, "otherwordly" music as well - always thought wish I could write it down when I woke up... I also get a lot of the "intruder" illusions. And sometimes really weird tactile illusions, like floating or being on waves.

The best is to not fight to wake up but the opposite, try to relax and fall fully asleep if you can. Most like it'll land in a dream. It may also help to do something relaxing before going to bed, take the time for it.

Also if you really need to shake it off, I think many people find it helpful to first try to move their toes or something like that.
Interesting post. When I am sober for a while I get occasional flying dreams. I love them. I can somewhat control my altitude and speed, I have to concentrate really hard.

I get the freaky ones when I detox because I stress out about potential withdrawal. I'll try to relax tonight. Heck I'm now at 28 hours without Alcohol and don't have any symptoms other than the foggy brain. Think this fellow is freaking out a bit for nothing.

Lbrain, it's exactly the one you mentioned that I get. Can't wake up or move but know I am stuck and fully aware.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thepatman, good for you! I know you can get through the night, sleep paralysis and all. I get that too sometimes and I don't like the feeling. I usually feel simply like I can't move, even though I'm awake or think I'm awake.

Onward and upward, Pat!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm rooting for you too Pat

D
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is indeed common in kids and adolescents and they many "grow out" of it. I also started having them as a teen, along with spontaneous lucid dreams... these were the experiences that got me into experimenting with it more. It can be the most amazing way to "psychoanalyze" ourselves and tap into our unconscious mind.

Patman - for a few years I kept having pretty nasty nightmares with my deceased mom, and I did not fully understand why, why so stubborn. I figured it out from my lucid dreams, having conscious "conversations" with the character in the dreams. They completely disappeared after a while.

I find it amazing how similar some of these sleep paralysis experiences are for people - the intruders (or "aliens"), for example. OK maybe we should stop discussing details

Anyhow, it's very common to have these after a drinking binge or when quitting, because alcohol normally suppresses REM sleep (the phase where most dreaming occurs) so it comes back as a rebound effect... plus the sleep is usually disturbed and fragmented, so we actually wake up more frequently during the dream stage, and then find ourselves in sleep paralysis. Or the opposite, fall asleep in a way that our brain and body is not in sync.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on your side, Pat! Let's get through the weekend!