Notices

Bored

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored

did any one feel bored in initial recovery how did u handle it ?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes. Bored, bored, bored.
I read about recovery. I watch movies about recovery. I visit this site. I am planning to meet sober friends at AA or something like it.
I plan my future, I declutter my space, I go for a walk, I cook, I sew, I meditate.
There are suggestions on here somewhere to keep you occupied. Anyone?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive only been sober about 45 hours and im very bored!

Cleaning the bathroom helped slightly!

Kitchen tomorrow
Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Simply played online games and watched boxsets, anything to get through the time!!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. I am in very early recovery and get very bored. I recognize that sometimes I would drink out of boredom. Well I just don't want to do that anymore. I am slowly trying to fill my day with activities that don't involve alcohol. I have heard it can help to have a schedule. So far my day is like this: I get up pretty early, have some coffee and check my email. then I play words with friends on my phone. I have a friend who I tend to text in the morning too and that keeps me occupied. I come here and read posts or post myself. I also go to another forum for another issue I have. I eat some sort of breakfast/lunch kinda late usually. By then its around 11. Actually the internet can take up a ton of time. I have tried some AA meetings and found some noon ones that work for me. didn't go today since was feeling off and weak. In the afternoon I do something like play a video game that would be impossible to do drunk. Then I watch netflix or TV. After that, I make dinner, eat, and watch more netflix or tv. I go to bed pretty early.

there is a list on here of distractions that I saw but now forget where it is. it was good though.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not bored per se, but I did miss the altered state of consciousness especially in the first month. I was so used to it... I find personally meaningful experiences more helpful to satisfy my mind, like learning about recovery, reading lots, interacting with people on SR, occasionally an AA meeting, going to museums and the movies. And most recent fave is starting therapy - I only had 2 sessions so far but my therapist is giving me a lot of homework and recommends interesting exercises and I am more than happy to do it. So far I've set it up one session per week but I feel like I would want a lot more... I like to meditate and this therapist recommended exercises that can be combined with that, I feel I'm quite good at them. I also enjoy talking with offline friends about their problems, but I've always done that.

Simple daily chores don't tend to excite me much but I do gain some sense of accomplishment from doing them vs procrastinating and neglecting those things while drinking.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i do work in day time keep in touch with aa members attend meetings listen to music watch videos on internet read articles on internet but still miss something like playing a prank on people bursting a fart bomb in a lift or a train
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I go to meetings-Lots and lots of meetings... Sometimes 3 a day-and go for coffee many times afterwards - I go for walks, TV, Solitaire, Crossword puzzles, reading about Recovery, Spirituality, Nihilism...Google News, Disaster/Incident Websites, NASA Website-Nature and Space Documentaries on YouTube and a bit of Healing in between...As I drank all day and all night every day and Isolated in doing so, just about EVERYTHING has had to change for Me to replace My Drinking Time. Boredom was a KILLER...But that's just Me.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sameer1974
did any one feel bored in initial recovery how did u handle it ?
I'm sure a lot of us are bored, just try to stay busy

I've been thinking about getting back into PC gaming, might help ease the boredom some......
Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PS - I FORGOT about Journaling !!!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
catdreams

what to do what to do

There's an awesome thread somewhere in the forums (I think it's a sticky) that has LOADS of ideas of things to do.
I am finding that to be helpful, as I too, am trying to figure out what to do in these early, early days.