Notices

Caged Bird. Maya Angelou

Old 05-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree - staying here with those who truly care is what you need Jim. It took me awhile too, but posting & reading here eventually worked it's magic. Looking forward to seeing you return soon.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Reading this poem today brought tears Jim. Thank you for posting it. Like you..I am fighting to get back on the straight and narrow. To borrow from the bird analogy..
I guess I gotta straighten up and fly right.
And all that keeps coming me today is..
do right...today...
wake up tomorrow and try to do right again..
I have to find my present again...I have to deal with the present again.
I lost it...and I want it back.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you will keep reaching out, here and elsewhere, until you find the freedom you are looking for.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jim, take some solace in my favorite Maya Angelou quote "I did then what I knew how to do. Now I know better, I do better".
Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just wanna reply to some of these messages here while I've put the drink down.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Why do you keep running away from support and help Jim?

D
'cus I know I'm posting drunk, I shoot away when I realize i'm just moaning. I want someone to hear how unhappy I am, I think that's what these drunken slurrings have been about recently. I'm frustrated because I have nowhere or method to express it. I guess that's what's with the poetry. I can see my misery in them that I couldn't possibly explain through my own words.

SR is not the place for this of course. A trip to the doctor, maybe some counseling would be better. These posts are all take and no give, I forget that people are struggling here too when I'm sloshed with drink, I'm truly ashamed of that, been humbled by it too recently.

I'm really embarrassed to return to these posts actually , they are not who I am.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Jim...I've a question...why did you not post when you had a few sober days last week?
I don't feel I have much to say Jen. I have had so much advice, I know the way I'm thinking and what I'm doing isn't ok. It's my responsibility to do something about it now to get off this merry-go-round

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
When we drink and post (and I did it when I first joined), the alcohol distorts our perceptions. We can't see or really appreciate what people are saying to us. We can easily become over-sensitive and mis-read things.
Oh I have definatley experienced that . Couldn't agree more
Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR is not the place for this of course.
I think SR is exactly the place for it...we're here to help everyone - not just those who are sober, but those who are trying to be.

Heck for me thats the exact reason I'm here Jim. I was hopeless and then I found hope here.

If I can pass that hope on, then the circle completes again and I'm one happy, and lucky, guy

And, y'know...it works...even tho you were drinking, some stuff obviously stuck with you and you came back.

A lot of people here care about you Jim - including me - don't let your addiction convince you otherwise....you're part of the Crew

D
Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine4ever View Post
So, I put a lot of heart into that post.
I felt every word of it too Sunshine.

None of my posts were directed towards yourself. Apart from this one
Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I second Dee - why are you running away from us, Jim? Probably because you are afraid... of the unknown (of recovery). But clearly long for it, too.

"The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still"

Try not to run if you can. For me it took a couple years of being back and forth, I read a lot on SR but posted very spuriously and I was usually drunk or planning to drink. Then at one point it sunk in... and I'm sober and very active posting since.
You CAN do this!
I think you are pretty spot on with how I feel. Also where I think I am in my relationship with drink right now.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very happy to see you posting Jim. You have us to lean on, always.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi JimJim, my heart goes out to you, I remember I used to ring all and sundry, my friends, Samaritans when I was drunk. I didn't even remember what I'd said most of the time, just that I was tortured. Not sure what my turning point was really but glad it happened.

Keep with us, Jim, I know, I'm positive you can do it.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Jim ...I was away from here a long time and I saw your post (this thread) on a very dark day..the 3rd of 4th attempt in past while to hoist my sorry self back into sobriety. I disagree that you're only taking...
I, for one, got a helluva lot of your post on that dark day...Maya's beautiful words. It resonated so deeply with me it brought tears to my eyes...
I actually clicked on it for two reasons..
I love Maya Angelou...AND
I saw the name "JimJim"...a name I had only seen briefly before in my last stint of sobriety. And I do believe that last time I saw, perhaps only one of your posts, something bout you hit me hard...so much so I remembered it. You were in pain then too...and perhaps drinking...but it was so damn evident you want out of the hell of it.
As I was in my own darkness when I clicked on it and had been away a great while, I wondered if you had gotten yourself pulled together...
Something bout you ya know...
Something that makes me really want to see you win cuz there's something really special in there. Certain of it.

I just wanted to chime in that I vehemently disagree that you are taking and not giving..
This thread helped me..alot..when I came upon it.
Glad you're back today.
Stay.....kay?