Notices

Sober 12 days

Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober 12 days

Hi,

This is my 12th day of sobriety and struggling a bit, I dont want to drink that's one thing I can be certain of but I just feel a bit blah! Some days have been full of positivity and other days I feel really paranoid that I'm not good enough and I'm also quite teary. In all honesty I feel downright sorry for myself. I actually feel sorry for the people around me having to deal with the emotional rollercoaster I'm on.

I have a close group of friends that I feel dont know how to cope with my new found sobriety and Im trying not to feel let down with the lack of support Im getting from them. No one can win really, my mood is so up and down with looking for support one minute and not wanting it the next.

I feel my days are spent with worry over something and I dont know how to address this without sounding like a complete idiot. Is this normal? Or am I just going off my head?

Any help/advice would be really appreciated!

L x
Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

All these emotions are VERY normal Leigh.

Try and distract yourself.

Try not to take those thoughts too seriously for a little while.

Don't make any big decisions.

Just wait till your emotions settle down just a tad ..

Congrats on 12 days sober

Old 05-30-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let the emotions rise and fall without holding on to them.

It is a rollercoaster at first but it does get better. The longer time goes by the easy it is to deal with the ups and downs.

Get rest. Take it easy on yourself. Eat chocolate!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Rollercoaster emotions are quite normal. Yeah, our nonalcoholic friends are often caught off guard by our early sobriety and all that comes with that. I don't know if you're an AAer but i find that meetings really help me get my head screwed back on straight. My women's meeting (Thursday nights) is so amazing for this. Last night, half of the women were running with high emotions. Womanly tears were shed but being able to share with other women in a safe environment is very comforting. Sometimes, we just gotta get those emotions that we don't even realize are there out of us.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found my emotions were all over the place for quite awhile. But they do start to level out. You're healing and it will take time for things to come into balance again. Give it time. I liked to distract myself with something when I would get caught up in worries or feeling low...taking a walk, reading, watching a movie, etc.

Congrats on 12 days - you're doing great!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, you begin to feel like your going mad!! I used to think I was quite level headed and "normal" well whatever I perceived normal to be in my drunken mind!!

I'm working today but going to a meeting, feel I need it.

The support you get here is amazing - thank you all

L x
Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on day 12!
I hear ya on the rollercoaster of emotions!!! I'm on day 20 (which as a binge drinker, I have hit many many times, so the day counting is something I struggle with as I could go 2mths without a drop) ......but definitely the adjusting to actually FEELING and ALLOWING myself to feel all these crazy things is different this time b/c I KNOW I will not pick up a drink at any time to run from them.Before, I wasn't serious about sobriety so I always had that voice chirping away "it's ok, you can have some wine soon", I knew I had that fallback and now I don't.
hang in. Everyday is one step closer to where you want to be
Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was very emotional on my 12th day. I specifically remember that day because it was the very first time I raised my hand and said something at a meeting. I had been to several at that point, and I decided to take them up on it when they asked, as they always did, if there were any newcomers who wanted to introduce themselves. My voice cracked and my eyes filled with tears as I told them I had been sober for 12 days. I received many hugs, handshakes, and words of encouragement that day.
12 days is awesome! It gets better. Keep it up!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm definitely pushing myself to speak at meetings as I know it'll help in the long run. Its one thing I need to get over, my feelings of embarressment over my actual feelings. I guess the only way to let them go is to feel them and go with it and not feel ashamed. I dont usually feel much, I'm so used to drowing my body in alchohol to numb any type of thought or emotion. Difference now is I know the feelings I have will only be waiting there - dealing with them is the only way to get better.

Thank you all x
Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 12 days, Leigh. You are doing really well. That emotional roller coaster can be a wild one but it will slow down; emotional extremes are so common in the beginning.

Be gentle with yourself.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think 12 days is absolutely amazing ... right now I can't imagine getting to 12 days. You'll make it - the roller coaster must be really exhausting, and I know that life can seem very flat ... it will get better.

Congratulate yourself on 12 days - I'm in admiration of your efforts.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm finding speaking at meetings really hard too. I'm terrified that I'm going to see someone I know in the crowd. I don't want to draw attention to myself and would rather hide at the back of the room.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeighD View Post
I'm definitely pushing myself to speak at meetings as I know it'll help in the long run. Its one thing I need to get over, my feelings of embarressment over my actual feelings. I guess the only way to let them go is to feel them and go with it and not feel ashamed. I dont usually feel much, I'm so used to drowing my body in alchohol to numb any type of thought or emotion. Difference now is I know the feelings I have will only be waiting there - dealing with them is the only way to get better.

Thank you all x
You are doing so well, Leigh. Stepping outside your comfort zone by speaking during meetings is really impressive.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there! Happened to me too! Just hold on and keep moving forward, you aren't crazy.....you're sober!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job! Hang in there, it will get better.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great Job on 12 Days!! Keep pushing through, you can do this!!