Notices

Before the lights go out!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Kid

Before the lights go out!

Hey guys, I'm scheduled to have my electricity shut off and I'll be without internet for a few days. Anyway, June 4th marks six entire months of sobriety and I'd like to thank you all for the support and kindness you showed me when I was new. I just wanted to share this milestone with you.

I've learnt a lot over the last half-year, mostly about my self and my own well-being. I wake up early, sleep soundly and feel really good lately. I've started exercising and eating right and my mental health issues are under control. I'm rebuilding the life that drinking caused me to break down and I'm so happy about it. I'm not near where I want to be but I'm on my way and that's all I value right now - heading in the right direction.

I came here as a 20 year old kid with a big problem, no solution and no support but that's all changed. I hope you all realise how much support you give to people like me who really needed it when they don't have other places to turn. I can't articulate how appreciative I am and without this community I can honestly say that I wouldn't be here. It makes me really emotional to think about how long it took me to get to this point and how many times you guys picked me up when I fell over. Sometimes people just need the company of someone who understands and who has been in the same boat and I hope you all understand how overwhelming kind it is that you guys regularly come here to sit with others in the darkness and help them work their way out. You are all beautiful people and I am so thankful that you helped me find myself again. I'm tearing up now but I owe you guys so much, I am Elijahnoahcolt again and I am on the right track. Thank you so god damn much.

Best wishes
~ENC
Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Wow, ENC! I hate that you'll be internetless for a while but that share was really wonderful. It's really amazing what a group of sober alcoholics can do. None of us here have any special power or ability to get sober or sober other people up. We're all just average people who come together to create something extraordinary. Take care and come back soon!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 6 months - hope you can get the power on again soon

D
Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

The support here is unbelievable. It really is. I couldn't have made it. Congrats on 6 months ENC. That is amazing. I'm at 14 days (pills) and I can't wait to say it's been 6 months. The people at SR who are willing to give their time to someone they don't know and really try to help...well they are amazing. I am looking forward to sleeping soundly...
Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Kid

I plan to stick around for as long as possible! I think the biggest part for me was finally admitting that I could never drink again. Most people think I am just young and naive but i know how easy it would be for me to slip back into my old ways.

Lots of people here helped me admit that I needed to be done with drinking and made me stop looking at it like I was making a sacrifice. It's the best thing I've ever done and it's hasn't felt like a sacrifice for a very long time.

Best of luck with your recovery, stay strong!
~ENC
Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I was sober for 10 months at one time and i arrogantly thought that i could go back to drinking like i did before i started drinking alcoholically. I actually drank responsibly for several years but when i started drinking heavily, it was sudden and it didn't ever let up. I understand now that i have 2 relationships with alcohol. One of abstinence or one of alcoholically drinking. That's it. Wishes and willpower won't ever change that. I just can't trust myself, both my body and mind, with booze. I'm fine with that now. I just figure i've got an allergy. What i do now is practice a lifestyle that lets me live with that allergy.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Kid

I think I'm the same, I can't imagine having one drink and stopping. It's fine really, I need to get into shape and drinking doesn't really help with that.

Thanks for sharing, if I ever think that I can go back to drinking please give me a good shake!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Did y'all 12 step? Or just say enough is enough?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6mths Elijah...It is a wonderful milestone, truly special.
I hope the power comes on soon.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Kid

There were no 12 steps for me. I actually gave all my money to my parents, gave them my keys and told them not let me leave the house until I sweated the withdrawal out. I've been a hermit for a very long time since but I'm getting back to how things were

Thanks for all the congratulations guys
Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Oh wow I've done the same! My husband gas car keys and money is in a safe. We took me off the bank and I don't leave alone. Only my husband takes me to the store so he can watch me. It has helped save me! Ah so telling all secrets to him was huge..
Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

I meant has the car keys.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The Kid

I had to tell my parents and they were devastated, they don't really understand the severity of my problem but they did lock away my belongings.

It helped me, I hope it works for you
Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your post was very touching. Congratulations on 6 months and your new sober life. You should be very proud of yourself!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on 6mths ENC!! what a lovely post to read. I've only been on here a few days and am already an "addict" LOL
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Realising my life

So, so pleased for you, ENC! Lovely post, too
Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElijahNoahColt View Post
I had to tell my parents and they were devastated, they don't really understand the severity of my problem but they did lock away my belongings.

It helped me, I hope it works for you
I think you are wise beyond your years for recognizing and confronting an addiction at such a young age. The devastation your parents may have felt upon you coming clean with them will only turn to pride and joy as you live your life free to explore the many possibilities without the anchor of addiction. I'm proud of you!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The Kid

Thanks for the kind words