SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New guy here! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333664-new-guy-here.html)

SigChiScooby 05-29-2014 09:59 PM

New guy here!

Hey everyone! I recently came across this site and it has been such a blessing! I scroll through the threads and can relate with so many people. Im 32 and I will be the first to
admit that it is tough accepting im an alcoholic at such a "young" age. I have tried to quit drinking more than once and failed more than once. It is that crazy non sensical thinking that maybe just maybe i will actually be able to moderate myself. I will just drink once a week on a friday or a saturday. No big deal. That all works fine for awhile and than it goes from once a week to all weekend and than before i know it im on another bender. i know i will never be able to moderate alcohol and i just have to accept that. I currently have 77 days sober. Summers are tough for me bc of bbqs, lake trips, swimming pools, etc. Im just taking it one day at a time. I know in order to truly LIVE i must remain sober. I love life sober. I go to the gym almost every day and that definitely helps keep me on track!

Raider 05-29-2014 10:04 PM

Wow congrats on your sobriety!!!

SigChiScooby 05-29-2014 10:12 PM

Thank you! I appreciate that!

DisplacedGRITS 05-29-2014 10:16 PM

Hey, Scooby! I'm 33 and I've been sober off and on for the last couple of years. I felt really young for getting sober for a while. Then I started attending AA meetings for young people and I was blown away! There are people in my group who got sober before they even turned 21. Wild! I attended a young peoples convention and it was the same thing there. It just goes to show that you're never too young to be an sober alcoholic.b:)

Hawk07 05-29-2014 10:23 PM

Hi and welcome :)

Thumbs up on 77 days! What are some things you did to achieve that? I have just over 2 weeks now...whew! It's tough.

AG2013 05-29-2014 10:26 PM

Welcome Scooby! You have joined a great club.

ScyllaCharybdis 05-29-2014 10:30 PM

Hi Scoobs! I admire the way you are thinking. Congrats on 77 and more power to you!

SigChiScooby 05-29-2014 10:33 PM

It is tough, but it gets easier! One day at a time is how I do it. I try to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. Im an avid gym goer. It is where I go and just let everything out! It is therapy for me. I am also going back to college in the fall and I know I must remain sober and keep my head on straight so I can get my dang degree before im 40. Haha

ScyllaCharybdis 05-29-2014 10:35 PM

Good for you, mate!

SigChiScooby 05-29-2014 10:36 PM

Thank you everyone! The support here is amazing and very motivating! :)

hayley86 05-29-2014 10:42 PM

Welcome, congrats on 77 days! You'll find tons of support here. Glad you have joined us. :)

Dee74 05-29-2014 10:57 PM

Welcome Scooby :)

D

ElijahNoahColt 05-30-2014 12:47 AM

I don't think there is age requirement for a drinking problem, I'm only 20 and I knew from 17 that my relationship with alcohol wasn't like anyone elses.

You're right to take one day at a time, you've made it so far, stay strong!

SigChiScooby 05-30-2014 08:36 AM

Cheers to the weekend everyone....with my delicious green tea! It is my new drink of choice. I love it! I go thru about a pitcher or more a day. Haha I am also interested in trying other teas. They have great health benefits. Green tea will definitely give your metabolism a boost through out the day and help you shed some unwanted fat if anyone here is in to that. :)

snowbunting 05-30-2014 08:48 AM

Ah I *love* green tea! It's been a big part of my life since I quit drinking coffee last year. All those lovely antioxidants :) Other teas I love include nettle tea (incredibly good for you), liquorice root (good for you and soothing, very sweet), lemon and ginger (ditto), and I'm just getting into rooibos. Herbal teas are amazing, they're all great for your health and there's so many to choose from. Them and green smoothies are what's keeping me sober so far.

Welcome to the forum!

ktwsober 05-30-2014 08:48 AM

welcome, great work so far at 77 days, keep it up

Cahabr 05-30-2014 08:51 AM

Hey Scooby, 77 days and you're new to SR? Very impressive! I could never make it more than about 12 days before I found SR.

I see you live in Topeka. I'm in Olathe and lived in Topeka from 2008-2011. Been there long? I do miss porubsky's pickles (but not a whole lot else) :)

PurpleKnight 05-30-2014 09:54 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!! :wave:

SigChiScooby 05-30-2014 11:46 AM

I have been in Topeka my whole life except for the two years I attended Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS. Its great to see another Kansan. Small world! Im a huge Jayhawk, Royals, and Chiefs fan btw. :)

Cahabr 05-30-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby (Post 4683460)
I have been in Topeka my whole life except for the two years I attended Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS. Its great to see another Kansan. Small world! Im a huge Jayhawk, Royals, and Chiefs fan btw. :)

I'm sitting at work next to a buddy of mine that moved from Topeka (he grew up there too). He's a Jayhawk fan too, I won't hold it against you guys (I'm from Manhattan). :) My wife attended FHSU for a year and I have other family there and all over Kansas. I am a sports fan, KSU, Royals, and Chiefs. It used to be a big drinking trigger for me though, so now I usually am working on my laptop at the same time as watching games to keep my mind busy.