Notices

Tapering for heavy drinker

Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope day one went OK RW.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I tried tapering. Like others have said here, it seems to work for a couple of days... When you wake up you feel better, but the withdrawals come sooner because the poison is being metabolized sooner.

But then after that two days or so, you say in your head: "Oh it's cool, I've only had like four beers today. I can get smashed JUST ONE MORE TIME!". Then you do something stupid a week later after being drunk for said entire week... It's just a bad deal. Detox medicine is so much easier, and frankly cheaper than drinking for a week. I spent $35 including prescription for outpatient detox. I was at doctor's office for 20 minutes... I was drinking $20 a night and blacking out for like 8 hours, so it was a no brainer for me.

Also, before someone says they don't want to get addicted to benzos, you only take them for a short amount of time. (I'm not anyone's doctor so I won't say how long, but for me it was 5 days) This was just my experience though.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey reising--how are things by Sunday? Hope all is going well. Check in and let us know.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I would also like to know how you're doing. Been following this post and I wish you much luck.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Reising,

Everything okay your way?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

RW...if the plan didn't work it's really no big deal, we've been there before. No one is going to say I told you so or judge your efforts, we are all in this together. In noticed you've been checking in but not responding, don't let a setback keep you away. And if I'm off and everything is cool, even better...just let is know.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Same here. You did a hell if a great job attacking this on all angles.

I admire your tenacity. Keep at it! We got your back on SR
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks for the concern all! Things did NOT go as planned. I never strayed from the 2-24oz-beer-a-day- thing but did up the units to 4 each and yesterday did them within 3 hrs of each other. Have been elsewhere on this site devouring AVRT in the secular forums and realized that a week ago when I decided to extend my taper I was really just planning to keep on drinking (listening to that LiarSiren). The risk of stroke DT's or heart failure (my reason for choosing tapering) has passed. Today I Don't Drink-Period. Just went by the old home group and snagged 3 old friends' #'s before their 8am meeting (was my main meeting for 16 months but now I have 3 kids for the summer). I will use those numbers, this site, AVRT, and may even dust off the treadmill later. Tapering did work to a degree but my "book-keeping" got a bit dishonest after the first week--that voice. I appreciate everyone's posts and will be back later....
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to recognize that you were not making progress, or having an excuse.

So this is it? Putting down the drink for good today? Sounds like a good plan to start, but you will need something more to stay the course. Use those numbers when you are feeling anxious. And don't forget, if you do feel DT symptoms, call a doctor.

Wish you luck and good fortune.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

My biggest regret with attempting to taper is that it only seemed to prolong the inevitable. Last weekend, I just decided to quit. Dumped my vodka and went dry. Things got scary for me throughout Sunday morning so I caved and bought some beer just to feel human. I had the idea I could then taper off...again. It's only been 4 days since that decision and it feels more like a month. Seriously, I'm such an emotional wreck over it, obsessing over it, I wish I had toughed it out over the weekend and gotten it over with. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey reising--great to hear from you. No shame in the taper not working and plenty of credit points for recognizing it. It takes a solid foundation to come back here and acknowledge that. Which leaves you with a solid foundation to build a new, better, more sustainable plan. I know you can do that and will be eager to hear about your progress. Stay tough.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you decide to check back in. Are you suggesting that you are going to make this day 1 with no drinks at all, or that you will be doing that some time in the future? Either way welcome back and best of luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. The taper was not a total failure as it showed me how very devious that AV bitch can be-nor was it textbook perfect! No regrets but it was a slippery slope. I'm happy with going from 40 units+ per day to zero in 2 weeks. No Scott, the goal was always permanent abstinence. So far I've been to 4 stores shopping for the house (with plenty of cash) and never even considered alcohol...Iced tea and water. Funny, I can't stomach carbonated beverages w/out alcohol. "I don't drink" is my new mantra.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

GetMeOut

I can totally relate to what you are going through. It seemed like those first several days would never end!! I also would dump the liquor I had only to end up back at the liquor store because I just couldn't take how I felt. Trying to get through the withdrawals, all the time watching the time trying to make it long enough where the liquor stores were closed so I knew I made it one more day. It's truly hell on earth. I hope you find the strength to bear down and deal with those tough days. Try to be good to yourself and remember what you are going through won't last. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well done!! Happy you made it safe to the other side!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 View Post
Thanks to all. The taper was not a total failure as it showed me how very devious that AV bitch can be-nor was it textbook perfect! No regrets but it was a slippery slope. I'm happy with going from 40 units+ per day to zero in 2 weeks. No Scott, the goal was always permanent abstinence. So far I've been to 4 stores shopping for the house (with plenty of cash) and never even considered alcohol...Iced tea and water. Funny, I can't stomach carbonated beverages w/out alcohol. "I don't drink" is my new mantra.
It took my stomach a while to get back into a normal routine, give it some time. So today is day 1? Congrats!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

24 hours without and all is well
Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats RW

D
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hope you can get some good sleep tonight.

You're doing it!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

congrats