Notices

Anxiety and what to do and AA

Old 05-28-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and what to do and AA

I thought I'd be feeling better but I am so anxious all the time. I am going the AA route for sobriety. It resonates with me. I am not a religious person but I keep telling myself to just keep doing the next right thing and the anxiety will eventually pass. In your experience is this true?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took me quite some time for the anxiety to abate.

Are you calling people? Pick one person today on your phone list and call them. Just call and ask, "How are you doing?"

That has helped me a lot. Real connections with other alcoholics. If not for one particular person in AA I probably would have stopped going very early on, I was so uncomfortable in meetings and in my own skin. Now I'm coming up on 90 meetings in 90 days, and I'm beginning to have real friendships and I'm able to actually follow along in meetings without my mind spinning off into "me-ville".
Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My anxiety has been almost crippling for my entire life. Going to AA seemed impossible for someone like me. But after numerous attempts at getting sober with my own willpower, I knew it was AA or disaster. I literally forced myself to go to that first meeting. I was terrified. Now, as I go to meetings (and I go to a couple of different ones, where there are different people there every time) my anxiety is still high, but I am forcing myself. I have no other choice. My anxiety is a little less each time, but it's still there. I hope to eventually get to the point where I'm not spending the whole meeting thinking, "oh my god it's almost my time to speak."
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety is a strange thing for me. I can speak at meetings with no problem but I wake up constantly with fear and anxiety and feeling like my life is unmanageable and when will it be manageable again. Not sure if that makes any sense. I'd like to be able to sleep and also to feel like everything is going to be ok.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Snakes - I too suffer from anxiety. When I am at AA meetings, it is still hard for me to speak. But I push myself out there, and share how I'm feeling. The feelings come from the heart. I find strength in the others at the meetings. They are willing to help me through. You are not alone. Just remember, that I am successful if I do not take that first drink today. It works. Take care, and know that you have great support here.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have crippling anxiety too. It was one of the reasons I loved alcohol and drugs so much. I could be around people now??? Cool!

Yeah, not so cool in the end, is it?

My first 12 step meetings were at s-anon. I couldn't deal with the panic attacks, so I stopped going. It's stopping me from going to AA. I've started going to online meetings to try to help me move forward. I hope to be ready to face this demon called anxiety that's been on my back for as long as I can remember. Honestly, I can remember being a young child and feeling like I was drowning in fear. It's so tiring.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hate the anxiety. Hate it. Shouldn't it be better? Maybe it never goes away? If I truly put my life in the hands of a higher power why am I so anxious?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have anxiety. Racing thoughts, fear of not being able to breath or wake up. Im working thru them. But, one thing thats helped me is meditation and sleep meditation music. I pop in my ear buds at bed time and it gives me something to hear other than my thoughts. Also, sometimes we need a re wiring. Mentally i tell myself out loud even that these fears are irrational, and they are. Easier said than done but after many weeks of it, your mind will take hold. Hopefully. If not, theres no shame in seeing a doc for meds and if u dont wamt to go that route u can try herbal teas like tension tamer or valerian root capsules. Im so sorry i know how u feel hun. Trying to be sober can amp it up. Hang in there. Im right with ya.