Notices

Another beginner

Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another beginner

Hello all.

I am currently on day 4 without alcohol. It hasn't been great, but after reading many of the detox stories here I can say it hasn't been as bad as all that.

I am currently home from work waiting to go see a therapist I got an appointment with. My anxiety is quite high (although, truth be told, I've lived with anxiety since birth it seems so this seems normal to me), and my head is full of cotton. Cannot concentrate, moody, weepy and having some balance and coordination issues. No sweats or nausea, thankfully.

I have always been a social (albeit heavy) drinker and never had a problem with it. By this I mean that I never would drink in the house, and since I'm not all that social to begin with I didn't drink often. But when I did drink -- at the odd wedding or holiday -- I drank a lot. As did all my family and friends. I just believed it was a cultural thing.

About 4 years ago, I moved to another country and within a year of that move my business failed, my marriage failed, and I was left with a beautiful, wonderful (but special needs) daughter while my ex returned to our country of origin and remarried.

So, I started to drink a bit in the evenings -- just to take the edge of, you know? Then the glass of wine turned to two, then three, then the bottle. I've been drinking daily ever since. Usually a bottle of wine a night; sometimes if I'm out of wine I'll have 4 scotches. That's about what it takes until I pass out.

I, too, have done some preeeeetty embarrassing things under the influence. The worst part is, that while I'm not a slurry, angry or really visible drunk, I am a supremely self-involved drunk and that's taken a toll on my daughter, who needs my attention and hasn't received much of it, to be honest.

I stopped drinking for a month, a couple of months ago and it was great. I felt really peaceful. Family came into town (which is one of my huge stressors), and I thought, "Well, I'll just have the one. I'm obviously not an addict since I stopped so easily." Hah. I'm sure you all know the story. After two days, I was right back at it.

So now I am here again. This time committed. But these first days are really being rough on me, and I don't have anyone to talk to. So I'm glad I found this place. I have a very high level, and high stress job so there's no way I can talk to anyone there. I'm in a country I don't really see much in the way of support systems like AA, although to be honest I've not really looked very hard. And... I'm worried if I go someone will recognize me, and then I will be stigmatized. Sounds silly, I know, but there you have it.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm just feeling a little raw, and lost and alone right now. Thank you for reading.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome to SR, tuesdayschild You've found a great place for support and understanding and it's good to have you with us.

Well done on 4 days, too
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, tuesdayschild! Stick around. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The therapist is great. Find someone you can be totally honest and open with and it can be a life changer.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, tuesdayschild; SR is a great place; glad you found it.

Wine was my poison, too; you CAN beat it.

Hope your appointment with the therapist goes well.

Keep posting.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, tuesdayschild.

Each withdrawal becomes progressively more difficult. We're glad you are having another go at it.

I like to listen to AA speakers on Youtube. It's great to feel connected to the largest club in the world that no one wants to join.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi tuesdayschild. I'm a newcomer too.

I totally get what you mean about drinking to take the edge off going through a marriage ending.....that was definitely me. Like you, I was inclined to drink too much when I did drink, but going through a stressful divorce made things get a wee bitty out of control, more so than usual.

Just wanted to let you know I get where you are coming from. x
Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words and good wishes. I'm so glad I found this place.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuesdayschild View Post
Thank you all so much for your kind words and good wishes. I'm so glad I found this place.
Hi Tuesdayschild, and welcome. You will find lots of support here. I'm on day 6 myself, and experiencing a lot of the same things as you.

Good luck! Post often!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Tuesdayschild! Sending you best wishes and kind thoughts all the way from New Zealand!

Be strong buddy
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hello all.

I am currently on day 4 without alcohol. It hasn't been great, but after reading many of the detox stories here I can say it hasn't been as bad as all that.

I am currently home from work waiting to go see a therapist I got an appointment with. My anxiety is quite high (although, truth be told, I've lived with anxiety since birth it seems so this seems normal to me), and my head is full of cotton. Cannot concentrate, moody, weepy and having some balance and coordination issues. No sweats or nausea, thankfully.

I have always been a social (albeit heavy) drinker and never had a problem with it. By this I mean that I never would drink in the house, and since I'm not all that social to begin with I didn't drink often. But when I did drink -- at the odd wedding or holiday -- I drank a lot. As did all my family and friends. I just believed it was a cultural thing.

About 4 years ago, I moved to another country and within a year of that move my business failed, my marriage failed, and I was left with a beautiful, wonderful (but special needs) daughter while my ex returned to our country of origin and remarried.

So, I started to drink a bit in the evenings -- just to take the edge of, you know? Then the glass of wine turned to two, then three, then the bottle. I've been drinking daily ever since. Usually a bottle of wine a night; sometimes if I'm out of wine I'll have 4 scotches. That's about what it takes until I pass out.

I, too, have done some preeeeetty embarrassing things under the influence. The worst part is, that while I'm not a slurry, angry or really visible drunk, I am a supremely self-involved drunk and that's taken a toll on my daughter, who needs my attention and hasn't received much of it, to be honest.

I stopped drinking for a month, a couple of months ago and it was great. I felt really peaceful. Family came into town (which is one of my huge stressors), and I thought, "Well, I'll just have the one. I'm obviously not an addict since I stopped so easily." Hah. I'm sure you all know the story. After two days, I was right back at it.

So now I am here again. This time committed. But these first days are really being rough on me, and I don't have anyone to talk to. So I'm glad I found this place. I have a very high level, and high stress job so there's no way I can talk to anyone there. I'm in a country I don't really see much in the way of support systems like AA, although to be honest I've not really looked very hard. And... I'm worried if I go someone will recognize me, and then I will be stigmatized. Sounds silly, I know, but there you have it.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm just feeling a little raw, and lost and alone right now. Thank you for reading.
Welcome, we are all friends here so grab a seat and settle in.
Look forward to more of your posts.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you tuesdayschild. Congratulations on your 4 days - you're doing great.