Notices

The trick that worked for me

Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The trick that worked for me

Hi All

I just wanted to say I am now a firm believer that the way to deal with alcohol:

1) High concentrations of B Vitamins
2) St Johns wort
3) Exercise or take new sports etc
4) Balanced diet
5) Deal with any past baggage or issues. Even write down any shame, guilt etc on paper then burn it. It cant hurt you any more.
6) Taking support from the Doc and even off the record
7) Changing behaviour patterns
8) Change social patterns, yes even closing facebook to shed any old habits!
9) Become spiritual by visiting a church or helping people to gain experience of the real world and how lucky you are
10) Develop a purpose or push yourself to take new challenges.

It is important to remember that we came into this world in a pure form. Alcohol became a coping or learned behaviour. It can mess up the brain chemistry and trick you that you need it. It is difficult to deal with most things when the brain is foggy.

Remember, you did not need alcohol when you were born!
Remember, you have to be OK without any social drug and just like any relationship, dependency or codependency is not healthy.

I have won against alcohol and do not get any pangs or feel the need for it. I really cannot see why I would want to kiss the dragon!

Ps - Disclaimer - I know, not one size fits all but try the above!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Josafe View Post
I have won against alcohol and do not get any pangs or feel the need for it. I really cannot see why I would want to kiss the dragon!
Does that mean you will remain sober past the imposed September 2014 date you promised your folks?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI

Yes if I choose to.

That's the difference between being the passenger on the bus or me actually being the bus driver.

Just for your comment, I will continue to October.

Hope this makes sense!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Hi Josafe, This is a great list! I am for a healthy and active lifestyle! But, as a gluten-free, wheatgrass drinking vegan who practices yoga and Pilates and meditation (and someone who was sober for 1.5 years only to slip back into drinking) please don't fool yourself that this is all you need. I stopped reminding myself why I don't drink and I stopped coming to this forum and stopped actively working on my sobriety. Although it shouldn't have, it actually shocked me how quickly I reverted back to my old ways.

Thanks for the post! :-)

Good luck to you! :-)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will throw down the gauntlet -

Make that date October 2055.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi All

I just wanted to say I am now a firm believer that the way to deal with alcohol:

1) High concentrations of B Vitamins
2) St Johns wort
3) Exercise or take new sports etc
4) Balanced diet
5) Deal with any past baggage or issues. Even write down any shame, guilt etc on paper then burn it. It cant hurt you any more.
6) Taking support from the Doc and even off the record
7) Changing behaviour patterns
8) Change social patterns, yes even closing facebook to shed any old habits!
9) Become spiritual by visiting a church or helping people to gain experience of the real world and how lucky you are
10) Develop a purpose or push yourself to take new challenges.

It is important to remember that we came into this world in a pure form. Alcohol became a coping or learned behaviour. It can mess up the brain chemistry and trick you that you need it. It is difficult to deal with most things when the brain is foggy.

Remember, you did not need alcohol when you were born!
Remember, you have to be OK without any social drug and just like any relationship, dependency or codependency is not healthy.

Ps - Disclaimer - I know, not one size fits all but try the above!
Great post! Thanks for the list. I'm employing many of the same tactics! Despite your disclaimer there are some that believe that one size fits all and are not shy about sharing this.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi

Great comments!

I will take your comments on board my bus lol. For now, my list is working for me. I think for me personally, it is the effect on my mind. Drinking was causing me to feel very negative. Why this started to happen is not important after reading the "parable of the arrow" - Parable of the arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. In other words why this happened etc is not the solution to what I know works for me - if that makes any sense lol.

I just know in my life at present alcohol does not serve ANY benefit. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

So by stopping the drink and boosting my B Vitamins, taking St Johns Wort with exercise this kick started the changes.

It works for me but I also keep in mind the amount of self inflicted crap you take on when drinking:

1) arguments
2) distorted perceptions
3) embarrassing comments
4) emotional upsets
5) health issues
6) negativity
7) bad eating habits
8) wasted money

Yep, and all self inflicted and to what benefit? Not like I'm 18 where all my life was about getting wrecked because I'm magnificent! An emotion-roller coaster.

When my brain/mind/health is in peak condition I may review whether alcohol has a slot in my life. But I can tell you this, I'm enjoying my current mind set even though I am going through a very difficult time with other stuff. It's nice to know that self inflicted alcohol is not added to my current problems!

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who is not an alcoholic but used alcohol as a way to give me an alternate universe or escapism where flowers bloom etc. But there was a problem when the alcohol started taking me to a dark cave where all my nightmares lurk!

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Great list and thank you for sharing. At 8 months sober I've employed many of these mechanisms and realize their importance in maintaining my sobriety. I have found my AV to be a relentless, opportunistic foe that can lay low in all kinds of situations then raise it's ugly head when least expected. So my war continues, sometimes bloody, sometimes cold but as long as I follow my plan I get stronger everyday.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

Much of the list is what I too incorporate. Exercise and diet are two of the things that if done right make the rest much easier.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well people all I can say is

"welcome at the top.........where the air is crisp!"

Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well people all I can say is

"welcome at the top.........where the air is crisp!"

Your plan sounds like a good one, not sure exactly what you mean by this though?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It means

Welcome to success to new heights where the air is clean and fresh.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your post is nice. But, isnt this a place for a sober lifestyle period. Not sure why you would stay sober UNTIL a certain date. To each their own, i just think u r either sober for the long haul as a committment or u r not sober at all, just biding your time until such n such date. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, welcome.

Ps. If just lifestyle changes alone were enough to keep someone sober i dont think there woukd be many alcoholics or relapses.for that matter.

Have a good one
Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Red face

Hi

Good points. TBH, I cannot predict what the future holds. I just know I'm not drinking. And I guess I hope I inspire other people as you lovely people inspired me on this forum.

My 2 pence worth [UK currency]
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess we all start somewhere. Good luck hun. I really do hope u decide to stay sober for good
Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All good information, but only if you put it into action, do you have personal experience that this plan works? I could hardly say I have won being only a little over a couple weeks sober.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Josafe - Love the lists. The Self-Inflicted Crap list is particularly helpful. That is why I can never, ever consider going back.

Valuable posts - thank you.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
All good information, but only if you put it into action, do you have personal experience that this plan works? I could hardly say I have won being only a little over a couple weeks sober.
Hi

I can say that it is currently working for me. Unlike like other failed attempts, the major change I put in place was what the doc said. The B vitamins, St Johns wort and the exercise - all have the ability to boost mood and outlook while the exercise helps to burn and remove toxins on a regular basis. Again, helping to boost immunity and brain chemistry.

These 3 things made the withdrawal symptoms short lived. I did 5 weeks sober then a relapse when I DID NOT use the above method. Every day was a struggle - as if I had weights around my feet.

Now I am 3 weeks sober but something is really really different. The thoughts and learned cravings are not there. The every day struggle and counting the hours and hoping I don't drink isn't there. I have more energy and higher mood.

I suppose common sense is that alcohol results in the deficiency of thiamine and essential B vitamins. Vitamin B-12 and other B vitamins play a role in producing brain chemicals that affect mood and other brain functions. Low levels of B-12 and other B vitamins such as vitamin B-6 and folate may be linked to depression.

I will tell you all something that you all ready know, alcohol = low and negative moods/brain chemistry = bad choices etc. Boost the brain chemistry and the outlook and self control looks different.

A Finnish study is only the latest to link B vitamins to maintenance of good mood.It found that high levels of vitamin B12 in the bloodstream were linked to more successful outcomes among people being treated for depression. They have some made some connections that show B vitamins are crucial to balanced brain chemistry and mood.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with the b vitamins. Thats a given that yes, alcohol does deplete nutrients in the body. Im glad all of this is working for you. As u said, it doesnt work for everyone.

Good contribution to the forum. All are good ideas as a start but certainly the solution lies within the addict. We are all built differently chemically. Some have imbalances while others dont. Some have a propensity for depression and anxiety no matter how many vitamins you feed them.

We are all in the same boat as we are alcoholics but the reasons behind it are truly our own. One must search not only what we are missing physically but mentally too.

Blessed be.