SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Making hope wider (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333453-making-hope-wider.html)

Weasel1966 05-28-2014 03:00 AM

Making hope wider

It's always darkest before the dawn. I can attest that hope was always brightest at dawn. It was dusk that crushed my soul.

The fear that was in me when I first realized I could not stop.

Hope for me, at that time, was trying to climb through the eyehole of a needle. It seemed an impossibility at best. It was a sliver.

Day in and day out the constant thinking of drinking. The awful emotions of darkness. Of a complete lack of hope that I could make a change.

How do I make hope wider? I thought. A funny thing to think but that's what it was. How can I make the end of my day hopeful?

That's one of those things about early recovery I hated most. The humongous gap between want and action. Between morning and evening. Between hope and hopelessness.

I gave hope a chance the first day I stayed sober. Well at least the first evening I stayed sober. I woke drunk everyday.

I gave hope a chance when I first reached out here on SR and got a response. Lessons about who I had become from strangers that did not know me but knew me at the same time. I felt hope then. But not wide enough I could crawl through to the other side.

I gave hope another chance and another chance with the constant declarations of sobriety and the constant and seemingly inevitable failure.

I learned a very sincere lesson about making hope wider. I learned it from the folks here. It's simple really.

Hope is not passive. It is an action to be taken by me. It is tangible not in my words but in me asking for help. Going to a meeting. In posting on SR. Taking my lumps and making them triumphs.

I am not saying anything new. Just sharing how I saw it. Hope to me is action. The sobriety I have today is very different than it was a few months ago. And it's probably going to be different than a few months from now.

Make hope wider what ever way you can! And you can. I am so sure of that because I am doing the same thing. Thanks for always being there for me SR! Just thought I would share today.

Ken

Dee74 05-28-2014 03:27 AM

Thanks for another thought provoking post Ken :)

D

Marcher13 05-28-2014 03:56 AM

Ken I love the idea of making hope wider, like something you hold in your hands and can slowly stretch if you go the right way about it. Make hope wider.

LadyinBC 05-28-2014 04:06 AM

I just love your posts :D. Always giving people food for thought.

SoberLeigh 05-28-2014 04:15 AM

Great post, Ken; thanks. I like the way you think.

LBrain 05-28-2014 04:16 AM

thanks for that Ken
LB

Ruby2 05-28-2014 04:26 AM

Thanks Ken. Just what I needed to read at just the right time. What am I doing to live in my skin and be comfortable, today?

ForMeForThem 05-28-2014 04:39 AM

Thanks Ken. I love that post. It's so true of my journey to sobriety.

Nonsensical 05-28-2014 04:50 AM

Hope: The more you do it, the more you have it. :)

Brilliant. Thanks Ken. :scoregood

Nonsensical 05-28-2014 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:)

HeadLump 05-28-2014 05:36 AM

Lovely post, Ken :Val004:

Weasel1966 05-28-2014 06:35 AM

A big thanks to you all! Have a lot on my mind from the recent weeks and it's good to share when that happens.

:tyou