Notices

It is better to be lucky than good...

Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is better to be lucky than good...

One of the fears that I have as a drunk is that I'm going to be drinking and one of my children is going to get into an accident. Both are driving age. My fear is that I will be drunk or drinking when it happens and won't be able to go to them.

I posted early this morning that I was tired of drinking and going to try and get sober again. So, I was not drinking or drunk this afternoon when my daughter was involved in a wreck coming home from work. It was a significant accident, with fire crews, police and tow trucks for all three vehicles. Thankfully she was not hurt, and none of the other drivers were either.

My wife was running errands and couldn't be reached. She has a cell phone but as chance would have it the ringer was still off from last night. I received a phone call at home from a fire captain at the scene of the accident.

I was sober!!! That seems like such a simple thing, but late afternoon on a holiday would have normally been my time to be hitting it. I guess God can be merciful sometimes. I must admit that after I got her home my AV said, "You might as well drink now...you know she's home safe and sound. You can start being sober tomorrow." I didn't. I want to be available for my family all the time.

Coincidently the last time I made a sincere attempt at sobriety we had a minor emergency about 4 or 5 days into it as well. Our garbage disposal sprung a leak without us knowing it and water ran down the wall into the electrical cabinet in my daughters room. I was glad to be sober that night as well...
Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad she is ok and you were able to be there for her dirk

D
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad that everything turned out okay; what a scare; glad you were sober to deal with the emergency.

Your children are an excellent reason to get sober and so are YOU.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had the same thought you had but about my parents. I'm glad that your daughter wasn't injured and that you were there for her and your family.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad she's ok Dirk And glad you're hopping back on this wagon!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dirk, thank you for reminding us the very practical benefits of being sober and therefore available for our lived ones in times of emergency. I too experienced an emergency with my wife on one of the few nights I was sober a couple years ago. I don't know what I would have done if I had been drinking. Whether divine or dumb luck, it should remind us how our drinking made us selfish, even if we didn't think so.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Cosmos to dirk: Your family needs you sober.

Happy to know that your daughter wasn't injured.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Day 2 and I'm pretty motivated. Night sweats and the usual restless sleep that comes from the first 24 hours of withdrawal. A couple more nights of that and some vivid dreaming are in store I'm guessing. Day 3 is a hurdle for me for some reason, but I have plenty to keep busy with so that should help.

As far as yesterday goes, all was a blessing with a little bit of hassle associated with modern living I guess. All vehicles given enough time end up in the scrap heap, but sometime the human body when damaged is never the same again!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

glad to hear no one was injured dirk. also glad that you were able to respond sober. it's these reminders that make us thankful for not drinking. being there and being present are what it's all about.
keep it up. it does get easier with time.