Notices

Random Acts of Kindness

Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Random Acts of Kindness

I didn't know where to post this but I figured the newcomers board was the best bet; being new myself, I've learned that it almost always makes me feel better when I do something for someone else, and don't expect anything in return. So .. here's what I propose:
I would like to invite you all to take a risk today. Do something for someone. Maybe it's someone you know, or maybe it's a stranger. Remember, you don't get anything out of the deal except that warm fuzzy glow inside. And then, please come back and post here - describe what Act of Kindness you engaged in, and tell us all about it! I've done this with my kids when I would drop them off at school and the stories they came home with and the sparkle in their eyes was just .. so great.
Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

ROWAN GREAT IDEA,JUST THINK WHAT A BETTER WORLD THIS WOULD BE IF WE ALL DID THAT DAILY.I'M IN.I'LL LET YOU KNOW....ted
Old 07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

that is the best idea. i will try that and post you back. im sure everyone else will do the same. such a great idea for me to try at home with my own kids. thanks so much for such a loving heart. lots of blessings in store for you rowan.
audra
Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rowan, thats great. Our recovery depends on the constant thought of others!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I did do something today but am a little reluctant to post it as I like to do my acts of kindness on the qt.On my way into a store I saw a man in a wheel chair with no legs filthy dirty kinda babbling to himself.I didnt ignore him but I didnt know what I could do as my heart went out to him.When I came out he was closer to the store I was in and he babbled something to me I think he asked me for money so I gave him acouple of dollars and asked where he lived,He said no place ,and my name is Scott.I asked if he had been drinking and he said yes.He grabbed my hand and kissed it and did not want to let go.I could feel his desperation for contact with another person and I could so identify with it,I told him my name and that he should get some help.In hindsight I realize I should have called an ambulance for him or the police.I plan to go back tommorow to see if he is there and see if I cant get him some help.I hope you will all join in on this act of kindness by sayin a prayer for Scott...Trish
Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

My s/o and I were walking towards Blockbuster to rent a movie. A homeless man asked us for money. We knew what it was to be used for. So instead, we took him to an inexpensive chinese restaurant and bought him a huge lunch.

He asked to take half of it to his wife and we said ok.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Hugs))) to Trish and to MootPoint!

I found both of your posts so inspiring - I don't know that I would have
the courage to do either -- but I'm going to look for an opportunity to try.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Ah Rowan, you are a blessing. The program of AA has taught me many things, and one of the most important is to give it back. Give back some of the serenity and peace of mind I have found. And not only in the form of service to other AAs, but in every day circumstances. And that is especially true on difficult days, when my heart aches and happiness is lurking just out of my grasp. There is someone in need of a smile more that I am.
Trish, Moot, darn proud of you girls.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY ALL,I REALLY DIDN'T GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL.I WAS NOT HIGH OR DRUNK SO I WAS A PLEASANT PERSON TO THOSE I WAS AROUND TODAY.I HELP OTHERS WHEN THE CHANCE COMES MY WAY.BUT THE DAYS NOT OVER YET.TODAY I'M MUCH MORE ATTUNE TO THOSE AROUND ME.
.......ted
Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

what a beautiful thought! will do!

if i told you what it takes to reach the highest HIGH, you'ld laugh and say nothings that simple!..........pete townsend.......i'm free, tommy album.

pete wrote this album in the throws of his deepest bout with this disease. many of his lyrics i find program inspired. i post them here at times.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ted! Like you, I didn't find many opportunities today to practice goodwill but I was extra polite with people and went out of my way to be very pleasant. At tonight's meeting I befriended a newcomer. That always feels nice. She got her 1 month chip
tonight.
Hi behind blue eyes - I can identify with the high music can give you - I'm the same way; very passionate about music. I especially love when performers write about their own experiences/battles such as Townsend has. Reminds me that they are human too.