Notices

Finding it hard, day 11

Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding it hard, day 11

Weekend was ok. Got through it well. Kept my self busy. Went to work today and came home and even know I was busy doing things I was really struggling. If it wasn't for antabuse I would of relapsed multiple times already. When do things start to get easier? I know the negatives for me drinking but I just want that on top feeling I get when I have a drink, and to forget about the day
Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

if you're like me, wardy, you drank for years, yeah?

You won't beat this in 11 days.

But it can, and will get easier - the urges fade, and get softer and softer the more you build a new sober life you love.

Don't lose heart - you're getting somewhere - keep going

D
Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

keep hanging on wardy. it is difficult in the beginning. just stay strong and do what you must to fight off the cravings. as the days add up it does get easier. you just have to keep after it. a couple weeks is still too early to expect the strong desire to drink to go away. you have to be stronger than that desire.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just don't like being on medication. It makes me feel mentally weak. Thanks for your support guys
Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wardy1990 View Post
I know the negatives for me drinking but I just want that on top feeling I get when I have a drink, and to forget about the day
Living sober means learning to not escape the day, or learning healthy ways to put a bad day behind us. It comes with time and it comes from learning and applying various coping techniques.

If all you have done is put down the bottle, you will struggle with the living sober aspect. Now 's the time to gather the tools.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wardy1990 View Post
I just don't like being on medication. It makes me feel mentally weak. Thanks for your support guys
Hi. In getting/staying sober there are some key things successful sober people find a must. First is getting honest with ourselves about our alcoholism which is not that easy as we have a tendency to rationalize too much of our drinking past. The next thing is acceptance. I found out that with my undisciplined thinking/acting that life goes on even when sober whether I like it or not. All I can do is work on myself and at times I’m lazy.

BE WELL
Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

149 days for me this lovely morning....

I'm not really sure when - but it definitely got easier.

Hang in there.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

:d
Old 05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep on keeping on, Wardy! I also have liked to think in the past that I am strong enough to do this on my own without medication. as a famous TV psychologist is known to ask "How's that working for you?" Well, the answer is, it wasn't, so I finally faced the fact that I need to pull out all the stops and use every tool available! The most useful one so far has been the antabuse, as you even admit, since you say you probably would have relapsed by now without it. I'm pretty sure I would have also. Use every tool at your disposal to stay sober long enough to learn to live sober. If you had high bblood pressure or diabetes would you skip the medications just because you think you should not have to rely on pills?? Better living through pharmaceuticals as long as you need them!!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
Keep on keeping on, Wardy! I also have liked to think in the past that I am strong enough to do this on my own without medication. as a famous TV psychologist is known to ask "How's that working for you?" Well, the answer is, it wasn't, so I finally faced the fact that I need to pull out all the stops and use every tool available! The most useful one so far has been the antabuse, as you even admit, since you say you probably would have relapsed by now without it. I'm pretty sure I would have also. Use every tool at your disposal to stay sober long enough to learn to live sober. If you had high bblood pressure or diabetes would you skip the medications just because you think you should not have to rely on pills?? Better living through pharmaceuticals as long as you need them!!
Good point