SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333202-new-here.html)

B4IFall 05-25-2014 10:53 PM

New Here

New to recovery. New to making friends without the influence of any substance. Not sure I know how to socialize with new people I meet that are not in recovery i.e. spouses of those in recovery who are not in recovery themselves. :)

Gakx 05-25-2014 11:00 PM

This is a good opportunity to practice B4IFall. No stress or pressure, just learning a comfort level on how to talk to others. I think sobriety will bring the change you want with a little work from you. I know that I didn't have sober friends before but that is slowly changing.

Dee74 05-25-2014 11:06 PM

Hi B4Ifall :)

being sociable sober is a skill like anything else. You learn to listen to people again, ask them questions about themselves...they ask you some back...pretty soon conversation flows.

If you're worried about what to say when someone offers you a drink? say no thanks.
Have a sparkling water or a Coke instead :)

It seems like an enormous thing to us, cos drinking was so so important to us - but most people simply don't care what we drink, or not :)

D

least 05-25-2014 11:11 PM

Welcome to the family. :) You'll find lots of support here. :hug:

Stiv 05-25-2014 11:12 PM

I was the same way, only freinds I had were drinking buddies, when I quit they pretty much disapeared, I did make new friends, it took time though.

hayley86 05-25-2014 11:44 PM

Welcome B4IFall, i found that socializing without alcohol became easier as i moved along in my recovery. I am far more sociable now that i'm sober, it just took time for me to learn how to feel comfortable without drink. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. Best wishes. :)

Mamahawk 05-25-2014 11:54 PM

Hi b4. I can't imagine what that's like. I try to imagine if hydro was absolutely everywhere like alcohol, how hard that would be. Ugh I can't imagine going to a party where everyone was passing around hydro. I certainly could not handle it. I know others will know what to tell you.

B4IFall 05-30-2014 09:36 PM

Thank you everyone. I am still trying to figure this site out too. I am on my phone makes it hard to view everything. Will check back when I am on my laptop later

trez 05-30-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by B4IFall (Post 4684617)
Thank you everyone. I am still trying to figure this site out too. I am on my phone makes it hard to view everything. Will check back when I am on my laptop later

download the App, it works better than squinting at the web page on your phone.

PurpleKnight 05-31-2014 12:57 AM

Welcome to SR!! :wave:

Marcher13 05-31-2014 01:14 AM

Welcome to SR B :)

Try18 05-31-2014 01:16 AM

Welcome :)