Notices

Gaining weight quickly since quitting

Old 05-25-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gaining weight quickly since quitting

So I'm on day 20 and I am realizing that I've been eating a lot more since quitting. I have a sweet tooth and have probably added a meal's worth of food everyday. I wasn't a daily drinker (more of a binge drinker) and figured the replacement calories with food would balance out. However, I've gained 7 pounds since stopping.

Things I've noticed I've added more of:
Bread
Sugary drinks
Power bars
Candy

I don't exercise, haven't really exercised for years, but this has remained constant. While I plan on getting into a good routine, what can be done about the increased appetite? I remember gaining a lot of weight when I quit smoking 10 years ago, but don't recall any solutions.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Maybe you have 5lbs. of constipation?

*sorry, so juvenile but I could not resist.

Consider going on a nice 30 - 45min. walk daily to offset carbs and get the heart pumping? The simple carbs you are eating above release 'feel good' endorphins and serotonin just like a good walk would do (or breathing, mediation...)

Way to go HealthFirst on your 20 Days!!! How has it been for you? Do you feel the strength of your support system?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days! Thats great!. Cravings for sugary things in the beginning are completely normal. I was a binge drinker too, relapsed several times and am now on day 13.
Don't worry about the extra pounds now. You're body craves real nutrition as alcohol depletes it of so many vital nutrients. Also, since alcohol is a toxin your body doesn't know what to do with it and stores it as fat to deal with later.
Be patient and give yourself a pat on the back for 20 days. You're body is still healing and will have to play catch up with all those toxins. Gradually your cravings for sugar will subside. Try substituting fruit and juice for the candy eventually. I like to stock up on veggies and make giant 'chop salads' with lettuce, cucumber, corn, tomatoes and whatever else I have on hand. Throw in a boiled egg and a little crumbled bacon. After eating something like that I might have 2 snickers instead 4..
Get into a new routine. A 10 walk every day no matter what, no excuses and gradually increase the time. Just some ideas.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 20 days sober. I have no advice on the appetite problem except to recommend some exercise to get rid of the extra weight.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha TheLeVerte,
yes there is that common issue as well. Suddenly we have an actual diet of 'real food' instead of liquid poison. All I can say is 'This too will pass'.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

*10 minute walk
Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have the same issue and have gained 5 lbs. I am trying to be kind to myself and not worry about it right now. I also crave sugar. Hawk had some great suggestions. I also excercise daily with walks/hiking/biking. But we have to let our bodies readjust and I plan to work on the sugar next.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you don't have junk food in the house it's a lot harder to eat junk food. Good eating starts at the grocery store. I eat a lot of fruit (frozen strawberries are a big one) and popcorn (with can't believe it's not butter spray) and sugar-free chocolate pudding when I'm trying to cut weight, lots of volume and flavor but not that much calories per unit of volume, and that works out okay. (running 40 miles/week also keeps the weight off, but it's definitely not for everyone)

On the other hand, diet isn't top priority at 20 days and if you want to eat like a college student home on break that's probably alright.