SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Red Bull Energy Drinks - Ok or not? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/333138-red-bull-energy-drinks-ok-not.html)

JOY1975 05-25-2014 05:59 AM

Red Bull Energy Drinks - Ok or not?

Hi my name is Joy and I'm new to Sober Recovery. I have been in a rehab centre for a 2 months and now home for nearly 2 months, but I am drinking quite a lot of redbull. At the rehab centre I went to energy drinks were a big no no and I was wondering what other peoples opinions and experiences were regarding this?

Oldselfagain 05-25-2014 06:01 AM

Hi Joy :) I see no issue with them unless your DOC was a vodka redbull or any other drinks with the energy drink as your mixer, then that could be a trigger.

JOY1975 05-25-2014 06:28 AM

No i've always drunk redbull as a substitute really. Its definately not a trigger.

Croissant 05-25-2014 06:41 AM

Hi Joy. Did they state why they are a no no at the rehab centre?

I found stimulants, such as coffee were all wrong for me when I got sober. I finally figured out the "down" from the coffee buzz must have been mimicking a hangover in my system, because I'd get huge alcohol urges.

I'm ok with coffee now in small doses. But early recovery, when my body was healing, no.

pdoc 05-25-2014 06:43 AM

Just watch that your not becoming addicted to sugar, I know a couple of people who did after giving up booze and drugs. They say giving up sugar is/was just as hard for them.

Skotyb 05-25-2014 06:46 AM

Ahhhh red bull
I used to drink as my wake up juice for those hung over
Work days ... ( every work day) :) the fizzyness ( great word)
And I liked the taste... I'd pound a couple before lunch rush
It was free for me!!! I did a google search on it one day
And just didn't like what I found!!

I want to be sober and healthy and red bull isn't part
Of that equation.

Red Bull Drink = Slow Death?

JOY1975 05-25-2014 06:46 AM

I think they were worried about cross addiction. But im not sure why thats really a bad thing, im not craving or even thinking about drinking?

Aellyce 05-25-2014 06:55 AM

Welcome to SR, Joy :)

I had some periods in my life (long time ago) when I was using different kinds of legal stimulants - Red Bull was one, for a while. Others were diet pills, not with the intention of losing weight but I liked the effect - nothing like a stronger psychostimulant (I tend to react badly to those) but still uppers. I found myself starting to abuse each of these after a few weeks and then they gave me weird scary symptoms (mostly anxiety, I think) so stopped each time and never even thought about using any other stimulant than coffee for a long time, which I never had problems with.

I think it's like everything: if you find yourself drinking Red Bull to excess and experience negative effects, I would stop. If not, maybe not a problem for you. I do agree with Croissant though about these substances putting us in a limbo between stimulation and crashes. Sugar does that, too.

megacrankcase 05-25-2014 08:14 AM

I personally avoid that kind of stuff like the plague. I have also given up drinking soda.

For me recovery is more than just quitting the booze. It is seeking a healthier lifestyle in every way. Physical activity and exercise, a sensible diet, and natural substitutes for drugs.

I love my tea and I drink a strong cup of Irish Breakfast, with raw honey, every morning. In the evenings I enjoy a cup of chamomile tea, which is good for relaxing, sleep, anxiety issues. It has numerous other health benefits as well.

I guess I am getting off track. Everyone has their own paths to recovery, and I only know what is effective for me.

Carlotta 05-25-2014 08:17 AM

I have an energy drink on Tuesdays when I start my day at 4 am and finish it late. It's my middle of the day pick me up. I d advise you to drink it in moderation though because they are very hard on the stomach lining and if you drink too many too often they stop working.

Try18 05-25-2014 09:20 AM

When I was in rehab they were banned. The way I see it is they must have had good reason for that. The odd one is ok but excessively they're not good for you, as folk above have said.

LBrain 05-25-2014 09:36 AM

A little won't hurt. But a lot is bad news.

Weaver 05-25-2014 10:35 AM

Honestly I don't think red bulls are bad to have every now and then. They are terrible for you though. I quit drinking them along with energy shots as I found myself...wait for it...addicted to them! I would drink several a day! I've noticed they contributed to my overall anxiety and since quitting them a couple months ago i feel much better!

TroubledJoe 05-25-2014 11:48 AM

Energy drinks are absolutely horrible for your health. I went through a phase of drinking a whole load of them (good old addictive personality) when I was working early shift and it's just bad news.

There's certainly WORSE things you could be doing, but stay away IMO.

CuteNGayYay 05-25-2014 02:12 PM

I drink Rockstars here and there.. I'm guessing as long as you aint drinking several a day its ok. Better than alcohol is how I look at it.

Aiko 05-25-2014 02:16 PM

I do not drink it any more...
It speeds up my heart rate big time and gives me insomnia.
I would not advice it to any one, let alone in recovery!!!
I have it clear!

Please drink something healthier :)

JOY1975 05-25-2014 02:55 PM

I think i know in myself that im drinking way too many, i know they are unhealthy and as someone who suffers from anxiety its not the best thing for me to be drinking. I think im becoming addicted and thinking honestly im displaying the same behaviour as i did with alcohol. I think its time to stop fooling myself and knock it on the head! Thank you all for your comments i think i just needed to see it in black and white x

BigTeddy 05-25-2014 03:32 PM

I don't drink energy drinks, but I do enjoy coffee. Usually one cup in the morning and another mid afternoon. Black coffee has no sugar or any of the other artificial crap found in energy drinks.

AlcoholFree66 05-25-2014 05:01 PM

Hi Joy - I'm trying to avoid addictive substances e.g. caffeine and sugar - as others have said they tend to cause highs and lows. That is not to say I've completely abstained but I'm having far less than I was. I make a big pot of herbal tea in the morning - if I'm going to work I put it in a thermos and take it with me. Someone told me about a blend of cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds (equal parts of each) - it's really refreshing.

Verte 05-25-2014 05:26 PM

Welcome to the forum Joy1975,

About those energy drinks:

A friend of mine made a habit to drink before workout and then after while working. After a while she started getting pretty bad heartburn. I think that the drinks are especially bad if a person is not eating enough solid food or drinking them in place of a real nutrient filled food.

Enjoy being here!

p.s. - I heard a great radio interview with the CEO/founder of Red Bull...it was very interesting. Two points that I remember are that he intentionally wanted the drink to 'taste bad' and 'be expensive'...decisions based on the inner workings of the human psyche and those attracted to extremes (extreme sports).

:grouphug: