Notices

Teardrops...

Old 05-25-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Teardrops...

O yesterday the husband and I were getting the pool ready for the season. It's a hefty job. I worked 6 hours, went to daughters baseball game and came home to jump right in and get this job done.

About 2 hours into it, I took a break and checked my phone. I had a voicemail from a friend I haven't seen in ages. I quickly called her back, because her dad has been sick, and I was afraid she was bearing bad news. She was calling to invite me over to her house to sit poolside and have a few cocktails. I regretfully declined telling her "I am in the midst of getting this pool clean, I doubt I'll be able to stop over, but we will talk soon" I hung up overwhelmed and a few tears fell from eyes. Not because I couldn't go there, because I could have, if I wanted, but because I hate this disease. I hate the cravings, I hate the messes, I hate it!!!!!!!

I already had half hearted plans to attend a speaker meeting last night, and that phone call sealed the deal. I knew where I needed to be. I told my hubs I am going to a meeting, because her phone call shook me up. I told him the more meetings I attend the less likely I am to drink. He kissed me on the forehead and told me how strong I am. (Sure didn't feel that way though)

Ran into a lot of people at the meeting, and one of the girls, who is becoming more of a friend hung out and talked with me til 9 pm. We vented and laughed and were just there for each other. I felt so good after being there. It was EXACTLY what I needed.

If I do today what I did yesterday, then I have a great chance at staying sober. All of these one day relapses that I have are adding up...... I def need to tweek my program a little bit.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get easier ontherightpath

D
Old 05-25-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Things will get easier ontherightpath D
Thanks for the assurance dee. It's been a long road.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have realized the more I analyze and over analyze situations, the more unsteady my program becomes. I need to keep it simple. Today I'm not drinking. Period. Not "today I am not drinking because of this or that" there are no REASONS to drink, JUST EXCUSES! I heard that last night and I just loved it! Really hit home!

Keep it simple, easy does it...... One day at a time!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

"Ran into a lot of people at the meeting, and one of the girls, who is becoming more of a friend hung out and talked with me til 9 pm. We vented and laughed and were just there for each other. I felt so good after being there. It was EXACTLY what I needed.

If I do today what I did yesterday, then I have a great chance at staying sober. All of these one day relapses that I have are adding up...... I def need to tweek my program a little bit. "

Yes that's the way it works when we work it. Congratulations, ODAT

BE WELL
Old 05-25-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that, rightpath. You did the right thing yesterday. Doing the right thing is not always easy, and it's ok to acknowledge the difficulty and the pain and frustration it engenders. Great job getting to that meeting, too. You kept doing the next right thing and you came out on top. I love your attitude! Hope you have a terrific day!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing that right path . It truly inspires me,that you chose your meeting and turned away from the poolside drinks. For me that would have been a hard pressed place and I know I would have cried too but you chose to do the right thing even though it was hard and that's why I had to respond because I find so much hope in what you did ! Thanks for the inspiration!......J
Old 05-25-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You did great. However, now I want to go in your pool In all seriousness, I had an old drinking buddy fly in and call me to go out drinking. I made the wrong decision and paid for it by losing many months of sobriety. I think you did great.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ontherightpath View Post
If I do today what I did yesterday, then I have a great chance at staying sober.
I love this. You should be proud of yourself. Keep on doing it.