Notices

Ugh.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh.

I'm not exactly recovered because I''m drinking as I type this but I just need to share...since I was 16 I've been drinking..not everyday..not every week..but thats when it started. Fast forward through those years of partying and doing insane things until now, I'm 23. I'm a mom of a 1 year old boy. I don't get "drunk" around him but I do have a few drinks...I've stopped for a couple months, couple weeks, here and there. But can't seem to stop all together. I'm not physically dependent but psychologically dependent...I use it to deal w the stresses of everyday life and I'm so so sick of it. I dont even like the way I feel when I do it anymore, the vodka hurts my stomach yet I continue to down it...and lets not get started on social situations/family parties of course I always make my drinks stronger than everyone else and end up getting wasted..getting in fights w/ my husband to give me the keys so I can go to the bar..doing and saying things I dont remember...I hate alcohol yet keep turning to it...how do I stop? How do I fight the cravings? I've only quit for apx 3 months in the past year...I miss being pregnant I was so happy then cause it was the first 9 months I was sober in a long time...why did I ever start again?? I'm sorry all for the rant/long post but just looking for people similar to my situation for help...fighting the cravings is so hard...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not so much the stopping that's hard, but it's staying sober for the long term that takes the hard work.

I had to make a lot of changes in my life to make my recovery work. I removed some people who were toxic to me, I stayed away from places where alcohol was served for many months, and I started some new activities.

The only way to learn to deal with life's ups and downs is to do it. Each time you get through an issue without drinking it gets easier.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

make a commitment and come up with a plan. It sounds simple huh? Well it is. It's just not easy. You have to will it within yourself.

I wish I even considered this decision when I was your age. You have many years ahead of you. Make them count.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome xolynn.

I think it'll really help you to be with us. I'm glad you've made the decision to stop - you have some warning signs. (Wish I'd paid attention to them at 23!) It's good to have you here.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. I was drinking when I found SR and continued to drink for nearly two years before I finally "got it". I wish I'd known then what I know now when I was your age.

Do you have any real life support? There are programs such as AA and Smart and Lifering that can be helpful in staying sober. I see a counselor and it helps me a lot in many areas of my life, not just in staying sober.

SR is a lifesaver for me. I hope you find as much support here as I have.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes fighting the craving is hard and so is living a sober life. But it can be done. Good luck Sweetie.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the positive feedback all! 2 days sober this time around...feeling good about it I have AA in my area but i'm a little nervous to go to a meeting...sometimes i second guess myself of whether or not im an alcoholic exactly and try to justify that as a reason to drink..but i know i have a problem with alcohol...i dont want it to get to the point of drinking everyday ever it has for a few months at a time but so far ive been able to catch myself. memorial day cookout tomorrow with the family, luckily i have to drive me and my son though so no drinking temptation for me! well it will still be tempting but i'd never drink and drive with my son in the car.